SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2013

Mike D.

I  have  a specific question relating to any Canadians in the States. I've heard in the past that SSHRC sends cheques directly to grantholders internationally. But I notice that they have a form to be signed by the Dean of Graduate of Studies. (Of course, your department will know, because you'll tell your referees). I don't want to get ahead of myself, but if the university administration/personal dept. is aware of your grant, do they allow you to have SSHRC and university funding? Or do you have to suspend your university funding during the time you receive the SSHRC?

I'm at UC Berkeley and made clear early on with my department what the conditions were on that. Basically, my department doesn't do "claw-backs" (in contrast to my alma maters UBC and U of T, where they would have substituted the SSHRC award for your internal funding). As you can imagine, this puts an insanely large incentive for getting one, since it stacks on top of whatever other internal or external funding.

This probably varies by institution, and maybe even within the UC, but I suspect that since most departments simply don't have enough Canadians to warrant a policy about SSHRCs, that your department might also allow you to stack your scholarships.

Fingers crossed!

Hi everyone. Aren't letters of reference important in the ranking of applications? I wonder if sometimes people don't realize how much weight they hold. I was successful in receiving a SHHRC for 2013, and I want to share with everyone that I had two stellar letters written for me (both my referees allowed me to read the letters they wrote for me). In their letters, they not only praised my academic abilities, but they each included at least one paragraph that underlined the importance of my research. One letter was written by my supervisor, and one by a committee member. I know that SHHRC specifies that at least one letter needs to be by your supervisor. 

This got me thinking that faculty members should get together and share their "winning SHHRC" referee letters with each other in order to help out students....

I think this is a brilliant point! the reference letters carry a large wight, and not all faculty are amazing at writing those. It really is more of a skill as you have to hit a number of key points in those letters. So for everyone applying next time around, you really want to be very strategic in deciding who will write your references. It also really helps if those people were well regarded in their field and surrounding sub areas.

Also to the point that AmandaG made, i completely agree with that as well. I also spend weeks and weeks and weeks. In total i had nine full drafts before the final, and had sent out many of my drafts to five different faculty members often multiple times, with my two referees seeing every single draft!. So i think you really want to get the faculty involved and in a way peer-review yourself. Get a variety of faculty members even ones that have nothing to do with your area as this mimics the conditions of the actual committee makeup. 

It was a lot of work, if i had to put and hour number to mine i'd say i put in perhaps somewhere around 100 hours. :D

Edited by Numbered

I'm at UC Berkeley and made clear early on with my department what the conditions were on that. Basically, my department doesn't do "claw-backs" (in contrast to my alma maters UBC and U of T, where they would have substituted the SSHRC award for your internal funding). As you can imagine, this puts an insanely large incentive for getting one, since it stacks on top of whatever other internal or external funding.

This probably varies by institution, and maybe even within the UC, but I suspect that since most departments simply don't have enough Canadians to warrant a policy about SSHRCs, that your department might also allow you to stack your scholarships.

Fingers crossed!

Thanks Eagle-Bear. That's super-helpful. I really appreciate your answer. I think you're right about policy. Where I'm at, they don't do clawbacks, but they have a fuzzy policy about external/internal and I"ll try to push for that. I don' think a lot of Canadians realize that you can often stack in the States, whereas you can't in Canada.

I think this is a brilliant point! the reference letters carry a large wight, and not all faculty are amazing at writing those. It really is more of a skill as you have to hit a number of key points in those letters. So for everyone applying next time around, you really want to be very strategic in deciding who will write your references. It also really helps if those people were well regarded in their field and surrounding sub areas.

Also to the point that AmandaG made, i completely agree with that as well. I also spend weeks and weeks and weeks. In total i had nine full drafts before the final, and had sent out many of my drafts to five different faculty members often multiple times, with my two referees seeing every single draft!. So i think you really want to get the faculty involved and in a way peer-review yourself. Get a variety of faculty members even ones that have nothing to do with your area as this mimics the conditions of the actual committee makeup. 

It was a lot of work, if i had to put and hour number to mine i'd say i put in perhaps somewhere around 100 hours. :D

Let me add something to this really useful post. I think a lot of people, particularly in Canada, are very hesitant to talk about placement rates in departments and specifically to outline the outcomes for each graduate student. It's really helpful to have someone on your dissertation committee who can write good letters. They're usually known by how many jobs they get for people. There is an awkward reticence among some people to praise others and, of course, in an era of self-promotion, the diffidence of some people who are unaware of the genre of the reference letter, or who deliberately flout its conventions, will wind up basically killing your career.

Any news/mail today? 

No news from my grad studies office yet.. I wish I knew they had the results for sure, and then I could hound them without fear of being annoying.  Just not my personality!  As for mail.. I'll know in probably 5 hours and will repost then.

Hey all,

My department just informed me that I was awarded the 4 year SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship. I am elated, especially since I will be studying in the States, and I can take it with me. I don't know my score yet: I have yet to receive the letter in the mail. But here are my stats:

Starting first year of PhD in the fall

MA SSHRC

5 conferences, including one international conference and one graduate conference

1 journal article in undergrad journal, peer-reviewed, single author

1 book chapter, coauthored

A few miscellaneous grants from undergrad and grad studies

3.7 undergrad major GPA

Member of various committees, elected to a few positions

I study labour history and literature. I spent far too long on my proposal.

Good luck, everyone!!

According to my graduate program director, Concordia hasn't heard anything. I've never heard of Concordia departments sending SSHRC notifications before the letters, so perhaps the faculty of graduate studies here prefers to keep a lid on any results they receive. I really hope the Montreal letters come today...

According to my graduate program director, Concordia hasn't heard anything. I've never heard of Concordia departments sending SSHRC notifications before the letters, so perhaps the faculty of graduate studies here prefers to keep a lid on any results they receive. I really hope the Montreal letters come today...

I called McGill and they say they haven't heard either. I don't buy it considering many other universities have been informed... but I guess they too prefer to keep a lid on the results :(

Nothing in my Toronto mailbox. I might call my department and/or email them but I think they are unlikely to release the results over the phone o.O Anyone else at UofT hear results from their department?

Edit: Emailed the grad administrative person for my department, also going to email the grad adviser. 

Edited by Nerd_For_Life

Hey all,

My department just informed me that I was awarded the 4 year SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship. I am elated, especially since I will be studying in the States, and I can take it with me. I don't know my score yet: I have yet to receive the letter in the mail. But here are my stats:

Starting first year of PhD in the fall

MA SSHRC

5 conferences, including one international conference and one graduate conference

1 journal article in undergrad journal, peer-reviewed, single author

1 book chapter, coauthored

A few miscellaneous grants from undergrad and grad studies

3.7 undergrad major GPA

Member of various committees, elected to a few positions

I study labour history and literature. I spent far too long on my proposal.

Good luck, everyone!!

Congrats!! That is wonderful news and it worked out perfectly for your situation!

No news from my grad studies office yet.. I wish I knew they had the results for sure, and then I could hound them without fear of being annoying.  Just not my personality!  As for mail.. I'll know in probably 5 hours and will repost then.

Ugh me too. I'm trying to will myself into calling. Also, my partner left for work with the mail keys which means I'll either have to stalk the post person or wait until he gets home tonight at 6pm :(

Nothing in my Toronto mailbox. I might call my department and/or email them but I think they are unlikely to release the results over the phone o.O Anyone else at UofT hear results from their department?

SGS has the results at U of T. I heard from my own department (English) on Friday. (The results were released from SGS to departments late last week!)

As a note: I heard by phone call. 

Edited by in the forest

I was wondering if anyone from Quebec could help me with this question.

I did not make it past round 1 for SSHRC this year (first year applying for my first year of PhD studies in the Fall).  I did, however, receive FQRSC, which I am very happy about.  The only thing is FQRSC offers funding for fewer years.  The maximum I could receive is 60,000.  I know that if I were to apply for SSHRC next year I would not be permitted to hold both awards.  What I am not certain of, is whether I am allowed to apply for SSHRC at all after having received provincial funding from Quebec for a year.  Anyone been in a similar situation?

By the way, not to highjack the topic but for all of us, here is some food for thought. 

What is your research worth?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2013/04/25/pol-harper-trinidad.html?cmp=googleeditorspick

Edited by Numbered

Grad admin just got back to me. I have been "recommended but not funded, which means that you may receive an award at a later date should an award become available." I'm guessing this means wait-listed? Anyone have experience with this situation? Is it different from outright rejection?

Just got word from my scholarships office that I won a 3-year CGS! I'm a bit confused though, because I already had an MA SSHRC and OGS, so I didn't think I was eligible for the 3-year award? Will have to see once the official letter arrives... 2 years is pretty great too though!

Stats for the record:

- going into my 2nd year PhD in the fall

- fast tracked after first year of a 2-year MA program

- MA SSHRC and OGS (SSHRC let me use the MA award for the first year of my PhD)

- 5 peer reviewed journal articles - one as first-author, one book chapter- first author, and one book review 

- 3 conference presentations - one national

- 4.0 GPA

- 3 years professional research experience between undergrad and MA

- 5 TA-ships and co-instructor for one class

- admissions committee member

- national conference organizing committee member

Best of luck to everyone who's still waiting! I lurk, but this forum has helped me so much with my applications and kept me sane during the wait. I've got my fingers crossed for you!

I was wondering if anyone from Quebec could help me with this question.

I did not make it past round 1 for SSHRC this year (first year applying for my first year of PhD studies in the Fall).  I did, however, receive FQRSC, which I am very happy about.  The only thing is FQRSC offers funding for fewer years.  The maximum I could receive is 60,000.  I know that if I were to apply for SSHRC next year I would not be permitted to hold both awards.  What I am not certain of, is whether I am allowed to apply for SSHRC at all after having received provincial funding from Quebec for a year.  Anyone been in a similar situation?

I have been wondering the same thing. I received FQRSC and have yet to hear about SSHRC (I know I was forwarded from the university though). From what I hear (word of mouth with other grad students), you can reapply to SSHRC next year. In fact, this is considered a good idea because then you can be covered potentially for four years instead of 3 and you have a chance to have CGS for 3 years, in addition to your first year of FQRSC (total value of $ 125,000). If you win the 4 year doctoral SSHRC off the bat, I don't know if you can reapply and if you cannot the total value would be $ 80,000. 

Grad admin just got back to me. I have been "recommended but not funded, which means that you may receive an award at a later date should an award become available." I'm guessing this means wait-listed? Anyone have experience with this situation? Is it different from outright rejection?

I was waitlisted last year, it came to nothing. It requires someone in your specific division (the number group you applied through) to reject SSHRC. It's not a hopeless situation, but it is certainly aggravating, as you can be notified as late as October in the school year. 

I was waitlisted last year, it came to nothing. It requires someone in your specific division (the number group you applied through) to reject SSHRC. It's not a hopeless situation, but it is certainly aggravating, as you can be notified as late as October in the school year.  

Good to know. Thankfully I have fantastic funding through the PhD program I am entering and have funding left over from my MA SSHRC that should get me by.

Good to know. Thankfully I have fantastic funding through the PhD program I am entering and have funding left over from my MA SSHRC that should get me by.

Just as a heads up, when I found out last year that I was waitlisted, I asked a professor in the department to write a recommendation for an award to cover tuition out of SGS - so that I could eliminate the $8400. It worked...

I have been wondering the same thing. I received FQRSC and have yet to hear about SSHRC (I know I was forwarded from the university though). From what I hear (word of mouth with other grad students), you can reapply to SSHRC next year. In fact, this is considered a good idea because then you can be covered potentially for four years instead of 3 and you have a chance to have CGS for 3 years, in addition to your first year of FQRSC (total value of $ 125,000). If you win the 4 year doctoral SSHRC off the bat, I don't know if you can reapply and if you cannot the total value would be $ 80,000. 

This is great to know!  But in a funny way bad news... as I will have to start panicking and preparing for the next round of applications.... which is just around the corner!

Just got word from my scholarships office that I won a 3-year CGS! I'm a bit confused though, because I already had an MA SSHRC and OGS, so I didn't think I was eligible for the 3-year award? Will have to see once the official letter arrives... 2 years is pretty great too though!

Stats for the record:

- going into my 2nd year PhD in the fall

- fast tracked after first year of a 2-year MA program

- MA SSHRC and OGS (SSHRC let me use the MA award for the first year of my PhD)

- 5 peer reviewed journal articles - one as first-author, one book chapter- first author, and one book review 

- 3 conference presentations - one national

- 4.0 GPA

- 3 years professional research experience between undergrad and MA

- 5 TA-ships and co-instructor for one class

- admissions committee member

- national conference organizing committee member

Best of luck to everyone who's still waiting! I lurk, but this forum has helped me so much with my applications and kept me sane during the wait. I've got my fingers crossed for you!

Congratulations on your award! :)  It sort of sounds like you're doing a fast-track PhD, since you were allowed to use an MA SSHRC for your first-year - does that sound right to you? If so, that's why you'd be eligible for the CGS.