Applying for Fall 2013

musichistorygeek

After got rejection(NYU-MM-film scoring), I think maybe I have these three lacks:

1. Dont have enough experiences, my undergraduate major is accounting, and dont have working experiences, no works for movie or TV programs;

2.Dont have  famous person's recommondation;

3.This  troubles me a lot, should I write a score uniquely, such as Chinese minority music; or a complex score that is hard to play.

Could someone here give me suggestions? 

The first and second problems, will be solved during the next following year, I already got a job working for a Chinese famous music director. But the third one, I need help.

I just got accepted to NYU's MM in film scoring program.  I'm more than happy to tell you about my experience in applying and what my portfolio and profile was like.

First off, I've only been composing for 3.5 years in the course of my undergraduate study - so I don't have a ton of experience. However, I have done a lot of writing, and my submitted scores included an orchestral score that I wrote (and had performed by my university's orchestra), a 12 minute saxophone quartet, a 10 minute string quartet, and a short piano piece (and very basic at that). I did also submit a movie trailer with original music, but I didn't send in the score for it (mostly because I didn't want to take the time or have the time to notate it).

I most certainly didn't have a recommendation from anyone famous. My undergraduate university is very small, with less than 3,000 undergrads in total. The music department has less than a hundred majors.

My music isn't particularly difficult, and I don't have any real ethnic background to draw from. I think what they're looking for isn't really that you can write with complexity or compose difficult pieces. Honestly, I've never found either of those things to be terribly difficult to as a composer. I think they're more focused on whether or not your music is going to translate well to the screen, or whatever media you'll be composing for.

Here's a link to my soundcloud if you'd like to hear some of my stuff. https://soundcloud.com/theevilmayor/sets/portfolio

On a side note, I was wondering if anyone knows much about the program. It certainly has a reputation for being good, but I don't know if it's worth the ridiculous tuition they're probably going to charge me. Does anyone happen to know how many students they add to the program each year?

I just got accepted to NYU's MM in film scoring program.  I'm more than happy to tell you about my experience in applying and what my portfolio and profile was like.

First off, I've only been composing for 3.5 years in the course of my undergraduate study - so I don't have a ton of experience. However, I have done a lot of writing, and my submitted scores included an orchestral score that I wrote (and had performed by my university's orchestra), a 12 minute saxophone quartet, a 10 minute string quartet, and a short piano piece (and very basic at that). I did also submit a movie trailer with original music, but I didn't send in the score for it (mostly because I didn't want to take the time or have the time to notate it).

I most certainly didn't have a recommendation from anyone famous. My undergraduate university is very small, with less than 3,000 undergrads in total. The music department has less than a hundred majors.

My music isn't particularly difficult, and I don't have any real ethnic background to draw from. I think what they're looking for isn't really that you can write with complexity or compose difficult pieces. Honestly, I've never found either of those things to be terribly difficult to as a composer. I think they're more focused on whether or not your music is going to translate well to the screen, or whatever media you'll be composing for.

Here's a link to my soundcloud if you'd like to hear some of my stuff. https://soundcloud.com/theevilmayor/sets/portfolio

On a side note, I was wondering if anyone knows much about the program. It certainly has a reputation for being good, but I don't know if it's worth the ridiculous tuition they're probably going to charge me. Does anyone happen to know how many students they add to the program each year?

I known one person who went through that program specifically.  I have more friends who did performance or traditional composition at NYU (for their Masters as well).  Most give me a mixed review.  The faculty is very good, but the school itself is a bit of a mess, and yes, overpriced.  I've done quite a few rehearsals and attended concerts there, and can say that i was initially shocked at Steinhardt's lack-luster condition (physically and musically).  After 7 years in NY, I can say that the school as a better reputation outside of NY than inside of it.  But, I do know that the facilities for recording are top-notch as of a couple years ago, so that's good news for you.  Like anywhere, it's probably what you make of it.  If I can give any actual advice, I'd say, don't live in the dorms -- they are way overpriced.  I'd try to find a cheap room uptown or in Brooklyn.  That's assuming that you're not already in the area.  Congratulations on getting in!  I'm sure there are great experiences to be had there.

FYI for those waiting on Yale:

I called today, as I've heard from all of my other schools and would like to know where I stand. They haven't sent everything out yet, and they've not yet come to all decisions. I spoke with the woman in the grad school admissions office, and it sounds as if we should hear completely this week. I'm not expecting anything positive, but I don't think they've made all final decisions.

Hope this helps, guys!

In at NYU for composition! Final school to hear from...is anyone else planning to attend? does ANYONE get funding?

Good luck to all of you. i've mostly lurked here but thanks to everyone who has made this place a great resource. 

In at NYU for composition! Final school to hear from...is anyone else planning to attend? does ANYONE get funding?

Good luck to all of you. i've mostly lurked here but thanks to everyone who has made this place a great resource. 

I'm still waiting to hear from Columbia and Cornell. If I don't get in to either of those, which is probably likely, I'm going to have a hard time not going to NYU, even though I know it's going to cost an arm and a leg. They told me that I wouldn't see financial aid stuff for a few weeks though.

FYI for those waiting on Yale:   I called today, as I've heard from all of my other schools and would like to know where I stand. They haven't sent everything out yet, and they've not yet come to all decisions. I spoke with the woman in the grad school admissions office, and it sounds as if we should hear completely this week. I'm not expecting anything positive, but I don't think they've made all final decisions.   Hope this helps, guys!
Yeah I need closure!

FYI for those waiting on Yale:

I called today, as I've heard from all of my other schools and would like to know where I stand. They haven't sent everything out yet, and they've not yet come to all decisions. I spoke with the woman in the grad school admissions office, and it sounds as if we should hear completely this week. I'm not expecting anything positive, but I don't think they've made all final decisions.

Hope this helps, guys!

Good to know. (I'm also not expecting positive news, but it would be good to know one way or another as I start making decisions.)

I have committed to Northwestern 100% and have received the official financial award letter. There are apparently 2 of us entering their program this fall, and my stress has receded to unrecognizable levels now that I know where I'm headed. What an intense process this whole application process was - now for the hard part!

I have committed to Northwestern 100% and have received the official financial award letter. There are apparently 2 of us entering their program this fall, and my stress has receded to unrecognizable levels now that I know where I'm headed. What an intense process this whole application process was - now for the hard part!

Hear hear. This is an important point of perspective: in the end, the REAL business is what's going to happen/what we will do once we've all matriculated.

Hear hear. This is an important point of perspective: in the end, the REAL business is what's going to happen/what we will do once we've all matriculated.

then placement, then tenure and politics. Thanks sweetcheesse for the note on Yale!

Hey Composers,

I'm in a bit of a quandary.  I wonder if y'all might weigh in on the subject:  I've been accepted to the PhD program at CUNY with no financial aid.  I've also been accepted to Stony Brook with a 75% scholarship.  That's about $7000 off the cost.  I'm also wait-listed at UNT, which, if they let me in, would promise a full fellowship plus a TA.  All 3 would need to hear by April 15.  I currently live in Queens and have established myself here as a pianist for 7 years... I'm weighing making the move to Texas should that become an option, because obviously that'd be the better financial deal.  

Any opinions?  Help appreciated!  Thanks all.  I hope all your paths are clearer than mine at the moment...

-Sunny

I think you should move (if that happens). It's a great deal, and don't forget that no one is locking you up and forcing you to do the doctorate. Supposse it doesn't work, and you can't fit in... you can always transfer or re-apply. Not much to loose...

I think you should move (if that happens). It's a great deal, and don't forget that no one is locking you up and forcing you to do the doctorate. Supposse it doesn't work, and you can't fit in... you can always transfer or re-apply. Not much to loose...

Ah, I see what you mean.  I never think in those terms, but you're right, nothing's permanent!  I hope they do give me the option, but I'll most likely have to wait until down to the wire to see how it pans out.  Thanks for your input!

Hi, Sunny Composer -- In my opinion, much of your decision hinges upon how you intend to use the educational experience, degree, and contacts. But at the heart of all of this, for something as personal as composition, which school provides you with a mentor to whom you and your compositional style are best suited? 

On the one hand, having established yourself as a pianist in New York is a great accomplishment and not something to quickly toss aside. On the other hand, having to pay SUNY anything is absurd, as is CUNY not offering you any funding. Having said that, I'm inclined to recommend staying in New York and transferring to another school if you're not satisfied. 

BUT, and this is a big but, there are the issues of where your family resides, whether you're married, whether you have children. If you have no ties, this may wonderful opportunity to live in another part of the country, get to know other musical idioms, and grow as an artist.

In sum, while economics is a crucial factor, much depends on the people with whom you'll be working.

Hi, Sunny Composer -- In my opinion, much of your decision hinges upon how you intend to use the educational experience, degree, and contacts. But at the heart of all of this, for something as personal as composition, which school provides you with a mentor to whom you and your compositional style are best suited? 

On the one hand, having established yourself as a pianist in New York is a great accomplishment and not something to quickly toss aside. On the other hand, having to pay SUNY anything is absurd, as is CUNY not offering you any funding. Having said that, I'm inclined to recommend staying in New York and transferring to another school if you're not satisfied. 

BUT, and this is a big but, there are the issues of where your family resides, whether you're married, whether you have children. If you have no ties, this may wonderful opportunity to live in another part of the country, get to know other musical idioms, and grow as an artist.

In sum, while economics is a crucial factor, much depends on the people with whom you'll be working.

Hi Daisy,

these are great insights, thank you.  Yes, you've got the crux of it.  I like the way you think -- I'll look more into the specific teachers and make sure they're worth-while to what I do.  I'm not saddled by family, and can easily move -- I even know a few folks in the DFW area, so it wouldn't be too lonely.  I hear what you're saying too, about growing as an artist -- I could use that.  NYC has such a reputation, but the reality is, you spend most of your time just trying to pay rent here.  It's a tough thing to determine when and if you've gotten enough out of a place, but that time may be coming for me.

I appreciate your feedback!

-Sunny

Okay, here's the score: Rejected by Princeton, CUNY, NYU, and UPenn. All that's left is Columbia, and obviously dat don't look too good. The problem with the rejections is that with no reason given it's impossible to cure any defect to apply later. 

I received a rejection email from Cornell for the D.M.A Composition program today. I was expecting that, but on the bright side, I've been accepted into the M.M. Composition program at Ithaca College with an assistantship (tuition + stipend), so things are good.

Even though Cornell didn't want me this year I'll still attend their composer's forum every Friday when I can. So, I'll be simultaneously getting my masters at Ithaca and working on relations with the Cornell faculty for my future application. And enjoying the frigid weather - if that's possible.

Okay, here's the score: Rejected by Princeton, CUNY, NYU, and UPenn. All that's left is Columbia, and obviously dat don't look too good. The problem with the rejections is that with no reason given it's impossible to cure any defect to apply later. 

I know, right? The only communications I've received from the various schools that have rejected me have been form letters. Was it my portfolio? Grades? My multiple arson convictions? No way to know. 

There are still two schools I have yet to hear from, but I'm not exactly enthused about my chances. My life has taken a very unexpected turn since I submitted these applications in November, so I'm actually not able to start a degree this fall, no matter how great the school or offer. USC or UC Davis could offer me the world and I'd have to say no. I just want to know how to improve for next year.

Edited by run_kmc

I know, right? The only communications I've received from the various schools that have rejected me have been form letters. Was it my portfolio? Grades? My multiple arson convictions? No way to know. 

There are still two schools I have yet to hear from, but I'm not exactly enthused about my chances. My life has taken a very unexpected turn since I submitted these applications in November, so I'm actually not able to start a degree this fall, no matter how great the school or offer. USC or UC Davis could offer me the world and I'd have to say no. I just want to know how to improve for next year.

Did you ask UC Davis via email?  I hadn't heard from them, so I asked the head of comp, and then he informally rejected me.  Sad that I had to remind them to reject me.  You think they'd do that when they make decisions.  But I'm pretty sure they've already accepted who they are going to accept.  USC takes forever!  I had to wait until April to hear from them last year.  You'll have way more experience for next year for sure.  Good luck!

I received a rejection email from Cornell for the D.M.A Composition program today. I was expecting that, but on the bright side, I've been accepted into the M.M. Composition program at Ithaca College with an assistantship (tuition + stipend), so things are good.

Even though Cornell didn't want me this year I'll still attend their composer's forum every Friday when I can. So, I'll be simultaneously getting my masters at Ithaca and working on relations with the Cornell faculty for my future application. And enjoying the frigid weather - if that's possible.

Haha

Same thing for me. Rejected by UPenn, I'm going to Temple for Masters with stipend. I feel like it's really difficult to get into doctoral programs if you don't have Masters.. although possible. 

I didn't know Temple even offered any funding for Master's degrees. I actually live in Greater Philly. Temple also "expects" a bachelor's degree in music, even for historical musicology (my interest is ethno). I happen to be an attorney, and my undergraduate degree is in Political Science, but I've taken a number of music courses. Besides, for ethno, transcription notwithstanding, the social context of the music is the primary focus of the discipline. (I'm also presenting one paper next month and another one this summer, both overseas.) I have lousy grades, but As in music and a 166 on the verbal GRE. Maybe it's because I'm in my late 40s. Too bad -- I'm a great student, a lot of fun, and a damn good cook.