Applying to Only One Program. . . (HGSE)

charmquark

Did anyone else put all of their eggs in one basket? How do you feel about that decision now?

I only applied to the master's program in higher education at Harvard. I've lived on the West Coast for the past 3.5 years and want to be closer to my family on the East Coast-- including my new fiance. I had a great rapport with someone in admissions (including a campus visit) at HGSE and feel confident that the program is run well. I thought the student representatives from Higher Ed seemed like they were thriving and I was impressed with how much they respected each other. And of course there are many reasons that I find the one-year master's attractive.

But! When I met with the admissions person I found out the Higher Ed program is the most competitive (I took this to mean ratio of admits per applicants) of the 13 programs offered at HGSE (gulp). I had a 3.6 GPA at an Ivy in undergrad. My letters of recommendation come from a Pulitzer prize-winning professor, a mentor whose "batting average for HGSE is 1000", and a former manager (I read this recommendation and was floored). However, I'm in the career change category, which also makes me a bit nervous. I (think I) have an interesting job history-- from working for an educational non-profit in the Dominican Republic to being on the edit staff of a national magazine, and starting a magazine at an international design firm. However, I was not happy with my GREs-- I had taken several different kinds of practice tests and would have taken any of those scores over what I got. Everyone in my life told me not to even bother practicing for the writing component. Mistake! I got a 4.5. and I get paid to write for a living.

So for now I'm typing instead of trolling! Like everyone else on here, the anxiety is killing me and I feel like I can't move forward with other life plans until I have this answer! If I don't get in this year I will definitely apply again next year, as much as I dread the thought. I just don't want to spend the time or money to go anywhere else. If I'd applied to multiple programs it's not like it would have changed my chances at HGSE, but right now I kind of wish I had more websites to check and a greater chance of hearing something, anything!

Anyone else in the same boat? Merrily merrily merrily. . .

I did the same ... waiting on the HGSE Mind, Brain, and Education MEd program. I was doing fine with the waiting until now. I'm sure once it hits March 1, I'll be obsessively checking my email. I'm guessing we won't hear until around March 13-16. That seems to be the trend on the boards.

My GREs were just ok, with a 610 V and 590 Q, but I did get a 6.0 on the Writing. I hope that saves me. An admissions rep told me that the writing is the most important part, but who really knows I guess.

I was at a forum the other night at HGSE, and arrived super early. There were a couple admissions people talking in the corner to some students, and they mentioned that MEd apps were looked at "by at least two people" and were really carefully examined. It sounded like they were looking for reasons TO admit rather than reasons NOT to admit. Then the admissions officer told another that admit rates are "easily 50% ... I'd say 50-60%." She then commented that EdD was a whole different story, with far fewer admits and a more difficult review process.

I couldn't believe my ears on that insider info! Hopefully it bodes well for us... not too much longer to wait now!!

Hi MonaMour,

what a great report from the field! I have really liked the vibe of everyone I've dealt with there and what you said reinforces that positive impression. And I too was fine with the waiting until today. Today I cracked! Here are some more stats. . .

On the Harvard website they give the 2008-2009 class breakdown like this:

Master of Education students

Verbal Average: 589

Quantitative Average: 660

Analytical Writing Average: 4.8

Thankfully, I'm above those averages except with AW. I should have read up on that. I hope they rely more heavily the real-world aspects of our applications, but I wish I had that 6! It must feel good. It sounds like tests scores factor into financial aid packages (is that right?).

Also, on Peterson's they put the acceptance rate as 47%, but my guess is that's an average of Doctorate and Master candidates.

Student Statistics:

Average age 30. 1,721 applicants, 47% accepted, 580 enrolled.

50-60% sounds promising now, but it will sound terrible if I don't get in! I'm mentally preparing myself not to hear until the Ides of March (or later), but feel like there's a chance we could hear sooner. I thought I read somewhere that last year they stated March 15th as the date. The ambiguous March is kind of torturous. Thanks again for the info!

hi charmquark,

You have a very strong background, and I wish you will be admitted to HGSE, and soon end up the waiting torture. .

I have been worrying about my GRE as well, because my AW is even worse (Verbal 630 and Quan800 are O.K.)

Although English is not my first language, I still feel it is a big disadvantage to my application.

I hope the Admission officers would care more about the research background, working experience, and publications.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I only applied to this program myself.

My GRE score:

Verbal: 690

Math: 610

Writing: 5.5

Undergrad GPA: 3.6 (cum laude)

and I have another graduate degree.

I have had about 2 years of full-time experience working but not in the field of education. I think that may be confusing or unconvincing to someone who tends to put clear and bright labels on things. ;-)

I don't think any of us are going to hear before March 15-16. Basically, we have a week or so. Oh, well....

• 3 months later...

I only applied to the TIE Ed.M. in 2006-2007. My rationale was that it was the "perfect fit" for my interests, and I couldn't get excited about the programs at any other Ed School.

HGSE was also the only place I applied for my EdD, primarily because I wanted to continue with a line of inquiry I picked up during my Ed.M.

Acceptance Rates:

HGSE Ed.M.: 50-60%

HGSE Ed.D.: 10-16%

They used to post on the HGSE website the numbers of applicants and the admitted for each degree program, a while ago. I do not know why they don't reveal such important and helpful information any more.

I had Ed.M. classmates who already had Masters degrees from other schools, some who were in PhD programs at other schools, and even one who already had a MD.

Acceptance Rates:

HGSE Ed.M.: 50-60%

HGSE Ed.D.: 10-16%

They used to post on the HGSE website the numbers of applicants and the admitted for each degree program, a while ago. I do not know why they don't reveal such important and helpful information any more.

Ed.D. is now 7% (I was told this when accepted) but the Ed.M. is up slightly from what I can tell. There are more Ed.M. candidates this year than the past few.

They don't post the totals, but you can get some data here:

http://www.gse.harvard.edu/admissions/s ... ofile.html

• 7 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2009 at 4:50 PM, tut said:

Ed.D. is now 7% (I was told this when accepted) but the Ed.M. is up slightly from what I can tell. There are more Ed.M. candidates this year than the past few.

They don't post the totals, but you can get some data here:

http://www.gse.harvard.edu/admissions/s ... ofile.html

I have been all over that web site and I think I must've glossed over those stats, thanks @tut