NSERC 2013 - 2014

eliasg

FYI Western results are now on student centre.  Just found out my CGS-M app was successful!

Congratulationsss. My student center is showing still nominated. So I think mine is unsuccessful.. :(

It seems my University is reluctant about releasing the information to each person on his/her own. Last year they just updated the student centre for everyone and that is how we found out about the results.

Hi has your student center account updated the scholarship result?

Hi has your student center account updated the scholarship result?

I am assuming they are filling it manually so some of us might have got the results where others not yet. Keep hope alive!

I am assuming they are filling it manually so some of us might have got the results where others not yet. Keep hope alive!

May be you are right. But I think they updated the status who received the scholarship. Anyways thanks for your encouragement.

I'm also in Boston and I got my letter! I got the CGS, but can only accept the PGS since I'm not in Canada. Looks like someone's going to get an upgrade!

Good luck everyone!

Congratulations ...Congratulations...Congratulations :)

I'm also in Boston and I got my letter! I got the CGS, but can only accept the PGS since I'm not in Canada. Looks like someone's going to get an upgrade!

Good luck everyone!

Upgrade? Don't they usually collect all the rejections and downgrades amounts, pool them and send people who DID NOT get scholarships an offer? I don't think they do upgrades Edited by Zourob

Upgrade? Don't they usually collect all the rejections and downgrades amounts, pool them and send people who DID NOT get scholarships an offer? I don't think they do upgrades

I was upgraded from a PGSD to a CGSD in June last year. I was ranked six spots below the cutoff for CGS level awards, so at least 6 people must have declined the CGS in my category. I would assume that at least six people on the wait list were then offered PGS awards. 

Upgrade? Don't they usually collect all the rejections and downgrades amounts, pool them and send people who DID NOT get scholarships an offer? I don't think they do upgrades

Oh they do! Common sense would say that they'd just issue more PGS awards (or scrap the CGS/Vanier all together) but they do not! Keeps them more prestigious by offering less? Who knows!

I'm in Montreal and I'll update later today when the mail comes.

I just received my letter saying that I got PGS D!

I am just wondering if I can take this on top of my stipend?

On NSERC webpage, under the other source of income, it says

"You may not concurrently hold another award from NSERC or from another Canadian federal granting agency (CIHR or SSHRC). You may, however, accept awards from other sources, regardless of value (e.g., foreign sources, provincial awards, private organizations or your university)."

I go to school in US, does this mean I can take this NSERC ontop of my stipend? Btw, my stipend is more than the NSERC funding per year..

I just  received the letter today and unfortunately it was negative, dated March 25

I am attending McGill

Thank you for the information. Sorry to hear about it. Lately, NSERC had been really hard on students.

Ya im pretty sure you can add that onto your current stipend

Your supervisor will probably reduce (but not completely cut) the amount you get straight from the research unit, but at my university there is a ton of money specifically for students who hold NSERC awards. You probably would never get less money with an NSERC award. I just got an award and will now make double what I did last year with my supervisor's top up and other scholarships.

I was upgraded from a PGSD to a CGSD in June last year. I was ranked six spots below the cutoff for CGS level awards, so at least 6 people must have declined the CGS in my category. I would assume that at least six people on the wait list were then offered PGS awards. 

Hi Pacific,

How did you know where you are in the list below the cutoff for CGS level awards?

So you accepted the award before 1st of May as PGS and they sent you an email again in June upgrading the scholarship to CGS?

So you accepted the award before 1st of May as PGS and they sent you an email again in June upgrading the scholarship to CGS?

Zourob and Papia did you guys get any update from university student center? I am also from western..no update for me yet.

Received my letter today on the east coast... denied. Oh well, I have a good stipend from my University (worth more than the NSERC award), so I can't say I'm all that upset. 

Congrats to everyone who got the award!