DOE CSGF

intirb

Supposedly the last time they "delayed" the dates like this, it was due to the fact that they had notified their first wave and were waiting to see how many more they could offer.. 

Has anyone heard back??

So, once it gets past April 10, it's no longer early April, right? I mean, if you split something in early, that would mean that you have early, late, and the middle crap in between..

In addition, I don't think that it's fair to put early, late, and the middle as equal sections.. Really, early April should have been before April 5. Damn it.

I called them today and asked if we'd hear before April 17th (deadline to respond for NDSEG) and she said yes.

I called them today and asked if we'd hear before April 17th (deadline to respond for NDSEG) and she said yes.

Did they suggest that winners had already been called and all that remained is sending out the rejections? Or no hint as to what stage of decision-making they're at?

No hint at what stage, they just said "We will notify all applicants by mid-April, so sometime in the next week"

No hint at what stage, they just said "We will notify all applicants by mid-April, so sometime in the next week"

Agh.. I guess I should keep my hope at a very low level but it's really hard to not dream :(

CSGF for sure.

NDSEG

- 3 years

- 30.5k, 31k, 31.5k stipend

CSGF

- Renewable to 4 years

- have to do a 12 week internship

- 36k stipend

- 5k 'academic allowance' for first year (conferences, technology, etc), 1k each year afterwards

- restricts you to at most one TA-ship

- fellowship conferences

The CSGF takes away a summer from you to do an internship, but it's a lot more money and you get to network with other computationally minded peers.

Just spoke with staff--they said they are being held up, and will try to get results out before the NDSEG deadline.

Unsure which is the better deal, NDSEG or CSGF--thoughts?

I wonder if that means they haven't even given out any acceptances yet?  I would guess they already contacted their first choices last week, and they're waiting to hear back from people who also won NSF/NDSEG/etc., making it potentially impossible to contact anyone on the wait list before the NDSEG deadline.  Well, we can always be optimistic.

The only possible benefit I see to NDSEG over CSGF is if you're in a real hurry to finish graduate school.  If you don't mind the extra time taking classes and the summer internship, CSGF is definitely better for obot's reasons. 

Well, I think my advice for this is the same as what a professor told me when I asked something similar..

"Why don't you wait and see if you get it before you ask questions like that?"

EDIT:

Realized how mean that sounds. I mean that, you don't want to ask questions like that because it raises your hope up to a certain level because you've thought about what would happen if you have it, you know? It's like thinking about what that $5000 allowance would get you in terms of a workstation computer. It will raise an incredible amount of hope that may be too hurtful to recover from easily.

Edited by Trantorian

Is it possible to defer the fellowship?

If I go on medical leave, then can I make the fellowship stay inactive for a year?

I know some people who have deferred the fellowship - either because they got Rhodes or had some other plan for a year before grad school.  Especially if you're on medical leave, I think Krell would work with you.  If you're a fellow, Krell really has your back and does everything they can to help you succeed.

Congrats to the winners!

Is it time to lose hope? It'd be helpful to see last names/locations of the winners. I'm on the west coast, last name B, so maybe they're waiting until it's past 9am to call. I hope...

Edited by obot