DOE CSGF

intirb

I just want to know.. I mean, my advisor is well-funded enough that I don't have to worry (unless some random act of craziness happens, which is always possible), but it would have been so awesome to get this for the DoE networking..

I haven't heard anything either...and I have to respond to NDSEG by tomorrow.

Oh wow, that's rough. I have no such time limit (I was only eligible for DOE out of the big fellowships because I have a masters), so I can imagine you're 10x as antsy as I am..

Eh, I'll just accept NDSEG tomorrow if I haven't heard anything from CSGF.  The CSGF would be amazing but I've got guaranteed funding either way.  So I'm not all that antsy.  What field are you?

Computational Biology / Biophysics. I'm not super worried about funding just yet because I'm on a NSF training grant through the next year, but the DOE would have been *amazing* for the resources + practicum. Though, of course guaranteed funding for the next 4 years vs. 1 year is a big upgrade...

Oh well, good luck to both of us :)

Edited by bluebla

FYI -- called and they are being held up by budget delay... hopefully responses will go out today (before NDSEG deadline...) but no promises... Called NDSEG and they were unwilling to grant extension...

Computational Biology / Biophysics. I'm not super worried about funding just yet because I'm on a NSF training grant through the next year, but the DOE would have been *amazing* for the resources + practicum. Though, of course guaranteed funding for the next 4 years vs. 1 year is a big upgrade...

Oh well, good luck to both of us  :)

comp bio... nsf training grant... mit?

Edited by throwaway123

"Budget delay" - yet they've sent out acceptances and rejections already, so I wonder what that means for those of us who haven't heard yet. I had given up when I didn't get a call, but after I didn't get a rejection either, I got hopeful again. Just let me down already so I can get back to work!

FYI -- called and they are being held up by budget delay... hopefully responses will go out today (before NDSEG deadline...) but no promises... Called NDSEG and they were unwilling to grant extension...

comp bio... nsf training grant... mit?

Berkeley, actually :) But good try!

I guess I tricked you a little bit because I originally came into grad school wanting to study mechanics / bio-E, and that's what the grant is in. They let me stay on it even though I picked a comp bio thesis topic as long as I do one "substantial" mechanics project for the coming year. Being free of that  restriction (and not having to deal with not-so-kind administrators...though I suppose I can't blame them) is another reason getting CSGF would be awesome. Ack, the more I think about it, the more I realize it's my dream fellowship.

In other news, I think this "waitlist" isn't terribly long. They guessed my name through my voice when I called just now, so I guess I'm the only girl...? 

Edited by bluebla

I've also heard nothing from both DOE and NDSEG (since the weird waitlist email). It's driving me a little crazy!

P.S. I'm also a girl (different area though?) :]

Edited by ema

I've also heard nothing from both DOE and NDSEG (since the weird waitlist email). It's driving me a little crazy!

P.S. I'm also a girl (different area though?) :]

Maybe I'm the only girl who hadn't called previously? :) Or there's only a few of us and they just guessed well! 

I never called since I've been getting the info from you kind folks on gradcafe (I figure they're not going to tell me anything new). I'd like to think that there are very few of us because, assuming whatever budget thing they're waiting on goes as planned, we are on the shortlist to receive the award! Although the more likely scenario is that they're just cruelly getting my hopes up before letting me down. And I thought the obsessively-refreshing-gradcafe part of my life was over last spring...

Maybe it was caller ID (or at least some clue as to what part of the country you're calling from based on phone number)?

Maybe...though I call from my cell, which has the area code of where I grew up (NYC) vs. where I am now (CA). But they *do* know my cell number from my application, so that could be it.

I just looked at my application and realized to my horror that I had made a typo in entering my phone number! Still haven't heard anything either way.

I just called Krell to correct that, and asked about notifications - she said they've been delayed and are trying to get notifications out "within the next couple days." So it's still possible some of us might not hear back right away.

This has not been a good day for my nerves!