NDSEG Fellowship 2012-2013

InquilineKea

Got the "wait list" email, too. I applied to civil engineering. I'm currently finishing an MS and starting a PhD next academic year. I'm going completely nuts with all the lingering uncertainty in my fellowship and phd applications!

Edited by electric

got the waitlist email for biological sciences - I know someone else that applied and was rejected in the same category. we're both 2nd year grad students

fingers crossed!

Edited by emilycrusher22

if we look at previous years ( http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=ndseg&t=a&o=&p=3 ) it definitely seems like acceptances are over-represented on the list (certainly more than 10% of people who post are accepted). as for how this would scale to this year, I have no idea..

Maybe acceptances are also more likely to be posted than rejections. I'm certainly more inclined to do that myself..

Edited by InquilineKea

I won the NSF award, but I got the letter saying I'm wait listed for the NDSEG. 

People may say it doesn't matter, but I'm very curious to see what happens with this award.

Thankfully, I'm also in the running of the Fulbright. It's been a good year this year. 

Cognitive, behavioral, and neural sciences, btw. 

Edited by daisusaikoro

I won the NSF award, but I got the letter saying I'm wait listed for the NDSEG.

People may say it doesn't matter, but I'm very curious to see what happens with this award.

Thankfully, I'm also in the running of the Fulbright. It's been a good year this year.

i won the nsf too but getting the ndseg would be way better financially for my PI, so i'm hoping to hear good news in the next couple weeks.

Biosciences.  Also got the ambiguous "still being considered" email.  No other word yet.  

Ok, so if someone is forced to transfer from one school to another school while on NDSEG, will NDSEG almost always approve the request? Or is there a significant chance that it could be denied?

What about from one adviser to another adviser?

Edited by InquilineKea

no word yet (still 'being considered') in biosciences. 

in 2007 they released a second set of awards one week later  (people have 1 week to decide if they're accepting the award or not). If we DON'T hear tonight/tomorrow, then I think it's more likely that we are NOT wait listed and instead they're waiting for a DoD department to decide. 

anyone want to speculate with me on this? or has anyone called and gotten any info relating to this?

If I go on medical leave, then is it possible to defer the fellowship for a year?

Or in other words, what are the chances that they'll accept medical leave as an extenuating circumstance, even if medical leave is a result of psychological circumstances?

Got that too.  I e-mailed them to make sure it wasn't legit and their response was:

"XXXX,

If you have not been formally offered an award by our team via e-mail then your application is still under consideration by the department of Defense. Applicants logging into the award portal who have not been awarded will not see accurate information associated with their account because they have not received an award offer.

Please be advised that your application is still being considered for an award by the Department of Defense who is working hard to issue awards at this time. As they make their decision of who they would like to award, the will inform our office. At this time, we are still awaiting their decision regarding your application."

Good luck everyone!

I had received a still being considered email and then was emailed again today and received the award. Best of luck to the rest of the applicants! I am in chemistry and an incoming student if that is of interest to people