NDSEG Fellowship 2012-2013

InquilineKea

I didn't spin it at all, I just spelled out why I thought my project had societal (not military) importance. It was carbon cycle/anthropogenic change related, and the Navy picked it up anyway. I think this was actually discussed in some detail earlier in this thread or maybe in last year's, but the folks reviewing your proposal are scientists (univeristy, private institution, government). They care about science first and foremost, then recommend you to DoD which sends you on to the relevant branch for consideration. It doesn't matter if your project is super in line with military priorities if it isn't a good proposal. It seems like good practice to put in a sentence or two that say what the pertinence is, as giles suggested, but I think more than that is just stealing room you need to make a fleshed out proposal in extremely limited space.

Edited by Usmivka

• 2 weeks later...

I want to bump this thread because I'm curious about people's research proposals submitted to NDSEG. Basically, I'm curious about how much research needs to relate (directly or indirectly) to national defense.  I am in psychology, which would fall under Cognitive, Neural, and Behavioral Sciences, and I'm unsure if my research needs to be related to defense/security somehow, or if it just needs to be in the discipline and doesn't need to have a direct application to national security/defense.  What are your thoughts on this?

I submitted an application this season. My research focuses on a systems biology approach to elucidating breast cancer signaling. Off the bat, it doesn't appear to be of an interest to the DOD. However, the DOD has an interest in breast cancer research  (under the Congressionally Directed Medical Research Programs within the Army) so I stated explicitly stated this and also gave one sentence on the "broad" impact of my proposed research.

This application was super hard but a great exercise in concise writing! I hope it get it, though it's super competitive and I'm not too confident...

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't spin mine too much since the project I work on - dengue fever research in South America - is a collaboration between my university and the US Navy. But I did take up one line with some fresh out of the oven research I had just seen at a conference that directly supported the need for my proposed research (basically, unexpectedly high numbers of deployed military personnel who come back with dengue antibodies).

Not sure any of it matters too much -- I keep getting reminded that it comes down to luck of the draw, in terms of research priorities du jour as interpreted by the person who reads your application.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't expect to hear anything earlier than the end of next week. My guess is that they'll come sometime between then and the end of the following week (April 12-19).

Did anyone else get an email today saying their application was still being considered? Does anyone know if the email was sent to everyone with a complete application, or only a certain percentage of applicants?

Yes, just got this cryptic e-mail:

Dear 2013 NDSEG Applicant,

We are pleased to inform you that your application is still being considered for an award. As part of this process, you will be notified by our team once the Department of Defense has made their final decision. Please be advised that the NDSEG Program Team at the American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE) is the only entity that can officially inform you of your award status. This e-mail is not a promise of an award.

Just got that email as well. I assume this means that we are on the shortlist and they're just waiting to find out how many awards they can give out?

I applied for this last year but never got this email, so I don't really know if this is out of the ordinary for NDSEG...

Just saw the email. Rejected, but expected! Got two more years to try again, so no worries.

I was surprised with how early they got decisions out.

has anybody emailed to ask how many of these waitlist-ish emails theyve sent out? i got one as well, but i have a hard time believing enough people would decline...

So it seems that some people actually got an award e-mail (see SeanMWood's post), several of us got the "wait-list" e-mail, and several of us got rejected too. The real question is if wait-listers getting accepted is only dependent upon awardees rejecting the offer. If it is, our hopes may be slim.

I emailed NDSEG about whether we can expect to hear about our final status by May 1st and got the following reply:

A first round of awards have been issued. We anticipate more awards will be made in

the next few weeks as we continue to hear from the Department of Defense. You will

be notified by our team once the Department of Defense has made their final

decision.

I think it sounds like they haven't yet decided on all 200 initial offers, but that could just be wishful thinking...

Got the cryptic short list email as well. This is so frustrating. Got honorable mention for NSF GRFP and shortlisted here. I'm going nuts. Reject me or don't, quit messing with me and giving me goddamned pity awards!