NDSEG Fellowship 2012-2013

InquilineKea

To clarify, I am still able to log into the application site (/apply) with no trouble. I have never been able to log into /award, but I am still able to access /award/2013/overview and see the buggy message about having declined the offer.

hey I got a call today making sure that I got the award offer because they said it got caught in some people's spam folders, so maybe it is worth checking your spam folder

hey I got a call today making sure that I got the award offer because they said it got caught in some people's spam folders, so maybe it is worth checking your spam folder

so CP I assume that means you didn't accept the award yet?

If I am offered I am accepting before I exhale my next breath.   :)

Edited by FrankForum

They're really dragging this one out. It's pretty frustrating.

Agreed. My thought is that most awards have been issued and we're just waiting on those last couple spots before they send out all the rejection emails.

So on the website (http://ndseg.asee.org/about_ndseg/evaluation_and_selection) it says:

Official award notification is sent via email by mid April 2013. Award winners are expected to accept or reject the offer within one week of official notification. On average, 10% of reviewed applicants are selected to receive awards each year.

Does that mean they've made all 200 offers?

So on the website (http://ndseg.asee.org/about_ndseg/evaluation_and_selection) it says:

Official award notification is sent via email by mid April 2013. Award winners are expected to accept or reject the offer within one week of official notification. On average, 10% of reviewed applicants are selected to receive awards each year.

Does that mean they've made all 200 offers?

I don't think any of us really know. From what I've read, they don't give out specific information on where they are in the process until they're done.

Someone in my department got an award notification in early May last year, so I don't think that the mid-April deadline is necessarily true. It is also possible that he was on a waitlist. 

I think the bummer for me is the fact that I won't be eligible after this year.  I'll be in my first year at my PhD program, and I will have 4-5 years of school to go, but I already have a Master's degree, so I won't be eligible next year.  One way or the other, I just wish they'd send me a notification.  Any cognitive/behavioral science folks gotten their acceptance letters?

Any known MatSci acceptances?

Yes.  Search for NDSEG in google and restrict time-range to past month.  You can see award announcements from various disciplines.  Here are two from Materials Science:

http://www.mrl.ucsb.edu/news/ucsb-ndseg-nsf-graduate-research-fellowship-winners

I don't think they are waiting to release awards for a certain discipline.  

I think the bummer for me is the fact that I won't be eligible after this year.  I'll be in my first year at my PhD program, and I will have 4-5 years of school to go, but I already have a Master's degree, so I won't be eligible next year.  One way or the other, I just wish they'd send me a notification.  Any cognitive/behavioral science folks gotten their acceptance letters?

Did you switch fields? If so, you may still be eligible to apply. The worst they can do is reject you. I have a Master's and am in my second year in a PhD program in a completely different field... No rejection letter yet, but fingers crossed.

Did you switch fields? If so, you may still be eligible to apply. The worst they can do is reject you. I have a Master's and am in my second year in a PhD program in a completely different field... No rejection letter yet, but fingers crossed.

No, it's the same field (experimental psychology).  I spoke with them before applying, and they said this would be the only year I would be eligible to apply.  I work as a DOD contractor right now, so I hope I've shown my ability to do research that is of interest to the DOD, but I've seen that the cognitive/behavioral awards given out are usually small in number compared to the other fields, so I'm not super hopeful :(

Broke down and finally called myself today... and didn't learn anything lol. They just told me that it's not a waitlist (we've still got a fighting chance!) and they are just waiting on the DoD. The lady also said it is possible we will not have a decision before the GRFP accept/decline date :/

Edited by hungry

Wow, fmrp -- the pressure is getting to you! Speaking of chilling out.

I know for me - since I am not eligible for the NSF because I work on human health issues - there will of course be a wish that people who can apply all the fellowships, leave something for the rest of us! :) It's a competition but it's not in an ad hominem way.

Having said that... It is pretty gd lame of the NDSEG powers that be to let this go past not only the 4/15 typical program deadline but even past the NSF response deadline. If the DOD historically takes 5+ months to make decisions, then move the application deadline back. Yeesh.

I wonder if this is due to budget concerns and cuts from the sequestration. There seems to be a lot of uncertainty from all agencies regarding the availability of funding for research. This would certainly explain why the DOD (and DOE for that matter) is (was) so late in releasing final decisions.

I've emailed the NDSEG folks about the NSF deadline and the reply was that they're still waiting for decisions from DOD departments. Given that the deadline for NSF is in a few days, I hope they get it together ASAP.