NDSEG Fellowship 2012-2013

InquilineKea

I had received a still being considered email and then was emailed again today and received the award. Best of luck to the rest of the applicants! I am in chemistry and an incoming student if that is of interest to people

Congrats, cp13! Do you know which agency funded you? (not sure if they tell you in your acceptance letter)

Congrats, cp13! Do you know which agency funded you? (not sure if they tell you in your acceptance letter)

Hey quags, I see you're also in MatSci. Are you still being considered too?

Hey quags, I see you're also in MatSci. Are you still being considered too?

Hey Quantum, I am! My guess is that if I get funded it will be by the ARO since my proposed research is something they fund heavily, which is why I asked cp if he/she has info on the agency funding them. I'm a 1st year grad student. What about you?

hey guys, thanks and unfortunately it doesn't say. I also applied for something extremely fundamental with regards to military applications so it's hard to predict which office would have funded it. Probably not the HPCMO, all of the others I would say are possibilities. 

No word here either...I'm also a first year graduate student. If I had to guess, I'd say that either the ARO or AFOSR would fund my project. I'm working on Earth-abundant absorbers for thin film solar cells.

i too was waitlisted and have my speculations

- First thought was there were an initial wave sent out by ASEE, and then second tier to be somehow decided and divvied up amongst individual departments.  The stated award process has apps filtered by ASEE and then sent to the DoD, so presumably it's now in that step.  The line in the email about "it's not official until you hear from us" was optimistic, like "you're gonna get one but we have to decide from where first", but knowing other people already got offers on April 3 and since is a little disheartening

- Some suggested it depends on your subject or DoD branch, are there any patterns in those awarded?

- Most likely a simple waitlist, as people have to accept/reject by today.  NDSEG has quotas it has to meet between DoD departments, subjects, and demographic info so after the first wave of awards they have a pool to restructure.  This leaves me the most skeptical - the ppl who reject I would presume to be < 5-10%

Have been super anxious and trying not to think about it.  Was originally pretty excited b/c I thought my app would be shot down a mile away so a little proud, but more and more convinced I'll leave empty handed with every passing day  :rolleyes:

But who cares!  In the long run your research will speak for itself (still young at heart  B) )

I had received a still being considered email and then was emailed again today and received the award. Best of luck to the rest of the applicants! I am in chemistry and an incoming student if that is of interest to people

When do you have to accept/decline by? I'm wondering how long this rolling awards process is going to last.

That's if you got the notification on 4/3, right? They're still sending out awards -- cp13 got notification on Monday. I'd guess they'll give people like that more than 48 hours to accept/decline.

When do you have to accept/decline by? I'm wondering how long this rolling awards process is going to last.

I, too, am wondering how long this will last. I'm losing hope at this point, but congrats to those that have received it!!

I still haven't heard back since the initial "You're still being considered" email. 

Also, I am not currently able to log in to the NDSEG site -- anyone else having problems?

PS: If you're accepted for the NDSEG, are you obliged to do the research you describe in your proposal? I may be joining a lab that doesn't have much to do with my original proposal...

Edited by SlickMcFavorite

I also can't log in, I think someone called about this and they said it was a known bug, and if you do log in the info may be inaccurate (e.g. it was saying that people declined the offer when it hadn't even been offered, this happened to me when I could still log in.)