Film, Cinema, and Visual Studies –– 2013

Swagato

There's a Harvard waitlist (via post...sheesh, it's 2013) report. Can anyone claim it? I'm really just curious to know if all their notifications are done so I can make my final decision. 

There's a Harvard waitlist (via post...sheesh, it's 2013) report. Can anyone claim it? I'm really just curious to know if all their notifications are done so I can make my final decision. 

Yup, that's me. Not much more info in the letter, although there's a form enclosed asking if I accept a place on the waitlist.

Oh, very nice. Nothing about admits or anything? What are your interests/what is your background? I've tried to figure out what "type" Harvard goes for for years--they still remain a mystery. 

I will likely be removing myself from Rochester within the next few weeks. I will also be declining USC's waitlist offer, as well as notifying Pitt to remove me from their waitlist. I hope this helps someone. 

Posting for the first time, but have been keeping up with the discussion for a while. 

I've applied to Columbia's MA in Film Studies program and, judging by the "Results Search", I shouldn't expect a verdict until the last week of March/beginning of April. A few days ago I received an offer from another one of my top picks and the confirmation date is two weeks away. I've already requested an extension, but it's going to be tight.

Should I email Columbia's film department to ask when I can anticipate an official response, or could such a request come off as pesky? Right now I'm hesitant to do anything other than sit around and wait, and stress out.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks for reading!

Edited by Doc Holliday

Just accepted to my alma mater's English MA with a teaching package offer, and nomination for a fellowship!  It may not specifically be film studies, but we have a lot of excellent film professors and a "film and visual cultures" track.

I'm just so overwhelmed, I never thought in a million years I'd be offered any funding off the bat at the Master's level.

Guys I don't even know what to do with myself!  Ah!

Congrats on making it to the Ivy League, Swagato  B) 

Now that most of the major places have sent out their notifications, the lucky among us must now start weighing our options for acceptance. I've already chatted with a number of you here, but if anyone has their two cents to offer about whether I should pick IU, UCSB, or UT-Austin, please shoot me a PM. All of my offers have been great and I'm really torn between all three, so any advice is appreciated (whether about program or location)  :)

Now that most of the major places have sent out their notifications, the lucky among us must now start weighing our options for acceptance. I've already chatted with a number of you here, but if anyone has their two cents to offer about whether I should pick IU, UCSB, or UT-Austin, please shoot me a PM. All of my offers have been great and I'm really torn between all three, so any advice is appreciated (whether about program or location)  :)

Those ARE three very good acceptances. I got into one school I really wanted (and I'll see you there in April) and one I was meh about, so no huge decision to make there. ;)

Honestly, Yale and Brown have the only cinema/media studies programs amongst the Ivies that I'd kill for. I'm just really, really happy at how good the fit is with Yale. 

You have some great acceptances, considering your interests. However, over in the English threads I heard some things about the funding/TA situation at Austin that, to my mind at least, offered cause for consternation. You want the best fit, certainly, but you also want to be able to keep your own work moving along--not be bogged down by low funding, heavy TA duties, and the like. Having to consider the joint PhD at Yale is making me really think about these things, so I guess they're foremost on my mind these days. We spend months working out the fit issue, but now that we have acceptances, we also have to look at the other stuff. 

I would be very attracted to UC-SB out of your three, with IU coming up second and Austin a distant third.

Eeedit: By the way, does anyone know anything about UIowa?

Edited by Swagato

Did anyone apply to USC in Comparative Studies and Literature? They have a new "comparative media and literature" track, and I am wondering if anyone has thoughts about that program? 

By the way, since the Film Studies Program at Yale is associated with several departments, I'm hoping that there are (there should be...) other admits too. I will be visiting campus in the last week of March, and would love to meet up with any of the other admits. Please PM!

Anyone heard anything from Ucla?? Only school I applied to and they're very quit this year.

A classmate of mine got a call from UCLA two days ago informing him of his acceptance. I don't have other details, but it sounds like they're in the midst of sending out notices now.

A classmate of mine got a call from UCLA two days ago informing him of his acceptance. I don't have other details, but it sounds like they're in the midst of sending out notices now.
Thanks for the info. Ahh this waiting.... Just found this forum. Congrats to everyone who got in, and those who are still waiting, best of luck!

Anyone in at Iowa? Found my rejection via ISIS earlier today. I don't know, maybe I was counting a bit on it, given my waitlist last year? But who knows. My admissions season's at an end...finally. 

Time to move on to the next phase.