SAIS application for Fall 2013

Revolution - SAIS's acceptance rate has puzzled me for a long time. I have scoured the web looking for statistics and I have found a huge range of values. Some sources state 25 to 30 percent, and others as high as 40 percent. 

Of course, these are acceptance rates - not yield rates. I wish I could find the source (it's credibility is anyone's guess), which stated SIPA has a 33 percent yield and HKS a 60 percent yield.

I imagine the truth is somewhere in the middle and I would wager that since all the "top" IR programs are effectively grouped together that the yield rates would be somewhat similar for all the groups, but who knows. Maybe the overpowering power of "prestige" really does have a material impact on where people ultimately go, even if the program's a bad fit for them or vice versa.

What I would give to get my hands on multiple years of raw applicant data! :)

I've heard the 30% number as well, but it seems like almost everyone on gradcafe has gotten in. I guess SAIS just isn't that selective at all. Makes me question the caliber of the students there.

I've heard the 30% number as well, but it seems like almost everyone on gradcafe has gotten in. I guess SAIS just isn't that selective at all. Makes me question the caliber of the students there.

Seriously man, stop with the vitirol. You have already said that you recognize that the GradCafe is not indicative of the overall applicant pool. 

Edited by Goose1459

Seriously man, stop with the vitirol. You have already said that you recognize that the GradCafe is not indicative of the overall applicant pool. 

Don't worry about that guy, it's obvious he's a little lost in terms of what's a good next step for him in his life and how to evaluate graduate programs. The evaluation criteria he is applying is often quite juvenile but I wish him all the best nevertheless.

wow... just wow.... because all of the SAIS applicants are on this forum, and they're not the type that do their research in more than one way on the internet.

You really are something aren't you. I don't even know why you still post here, or in this thread. Why don't you attend an MBA student party and you can all laugh at the pathetic IA/IR programs and drink champagne you bigoted waste of time.

SAIS is a "big tent" school, Revolution. They even have room for your clown show, chief...

Oh dude, please shut up. 

If you are serious about SAIS consider reaching out to alumns and current students; possibly attend an open house. Not sure acceptance rates, which none of us actually know, is a useful metric to determine the "quality" of the students. Being a MPA/MBA student who is aiming for similar schools I can say that everyone I have met or worked with at SAIS has always been impressive, interesting, and really good people. :)

Yes, I've already reached out to the admissions office regarding getting in touch with students and might attend the open house.

A lot of people have taken offense to my statements on SAIS, so let me clarify a few things. First, I have no doubt that SAIS students are smart, accomplished, and overall good people. My comments were not ad hominem attacks on them. Second, I did say that I'm not sure if I could learn much from them. My point is this. Given that I'm older and have a lot of experience in a very niche area of finance, while the average SAIS student will only have around 2-3 years of experience, almost entirely in the public sector, it will be difficult for me to find classmates who share my professional goals. So from a networking standpoint, it will be tough. If I don't get into any mba programs, and I end up at SAIS, I will probably spend most of my time hustling like a madman to get the kind of job i want. It will be a very painful 2 years, nothing like the nonstop partying, travelling, and getting girls, that a top MBA entails. So I do not think SAIS will be an enjoyable experience at all, but they did give me a fellowship, and if I arrive at the conclusion that it will help me achieve my goals, I may have to attend.

Now, I pray to the MBA gods to make my fantasies come true. The mere thought of the SICK transformational experience at a top b-school sends chills down my spine.

Edited by Revolution

Yes, I've already reached out to the admissions office regarding getting in touch with students and might attend the open house.

A lot of people have taken offense to my statements on SAIS, so let me clarify a few things. First, I have no doubt that SAIS students are smart, accomplished, and overall good people. My comments were not ad hominem attacks on them. Second, I did say that I'm not sure if I could learn much from them. My point is this. Given that I'm older and have a lot of experience in a very niche area of finance, while the average SAIS student will only have around 2-3 years of experience, almost entirely in the public sector, it will be difficult for me to find classmates who share my professional goals. So from a networking standpoint, it will be tough. If I don't get into any mba programs, and I end up at SAIS, I will probably spend most of my time hustling like a madman to get the kind of job i want. It will be a very painful 2 years, nothing like the nonstop partying, travelling, and getting girls, that a top MBA entails. So I do not think SAIS will be an enjoyable experience at all, but they did give me a fellowship, and if I arrive at the conclusion that it will help me achieve my goals, I may have to attend.

I think one thing you can learn from IR programs is the art of presenting things. All the points you raised do have some merit but the way you raised them induced ad hominem attacks . By saying this I don't intend to shun any of your arguments, In fact I share some of your reservations about IR schools and careerwise in quite a similar position to yours,  as I have been working in Pvt sector for last 5 years as a Corporate Lawyer  and would only consider going to graduate school if I can satisfy myself that doing so would lead to a better career path in both emotional and monetary terms. .

However you must understand that there are a lot of people in this forum who have a very esteemed view of these IR schools  and attacking that image (in a brutal manner as you seem to do quite often) would almost be considered blasphemous and invoke such harsh reactions.

Anyhow I am also considering MBA programs. I have admits from SAIS and MSFS and patiently waiting to hear from Darden and Cornell (Johnson). Which schools have you shortlisted? 

All the best in whatever you choose to do next. 

Now, I pray to the MBA gods to make my fantasies come true. The mere thought of the SICK transformational experience at a top b-school sends chills down my spine.

"Revolution:"

During my last two years in the Middle East, I became embroiled in the Arab Spring in Egypt and watched history unfold during the day of the camel. I watched the Egyptian people cross the Rubicon.  I've learned Arabic from scratch and now speak three dialects of Arabic at the OPI advanced level. As a Boren Scholar in Jordan last year, I traveled to the remote aid camps along the northern border and researched the plight of Syrian refugees and their impact on the struggling economy and diminishing water resources of the region. I interviewed Syrians who buried their dead at night in mass graves because  Syrian Army snipers shot anyone who moved during the day.  The year before, while in Lebanon, I frequently attended Saad Hariri's public speeches honoring his father, the former Lebanese PM who was killed in a terrorist bombing that many have linked to Hezbollah and the Syrians. He was killed because of his efforts to bring peace and stability to the region. In the course of my journey across Egypt and the Levant, I became aware of how inflated food and commodity prices, pseudo-democracies, high unemployment, inequalities of opportunity and sectarian tensions -if left to simmer over time- can provide the necessary impetus for full-blown revolutions. I learned how these issues -if left unaddressed by American diplomacy and aid- can become National Security issues for the region as well as the United States. I am attending SAIS because I want to hone my skills to ameliorate these conflicts and bring economic and political stability to the region. I'm nobody special but there are many special people on this forum. I have had the pleasure of engaging them through PMs. Many of them are warfighters and intel analysts who want to maker our nation safer, many are students and policymakers from other regions who want to bring economic growth and stability to their countries, many are economists who are confronting a world-wide financial crisis of unemployment and underemployment, and many are  pursuing other meritorious, self-less career paths. I have found that the common goals they share are  a commitment to personal and professional growth and a desire work as team players in a rigorous academic setting. You are interested in what's good for YOU. There's nothing wrong with that, but it certainly doesn't make you unique. It doesn't make you special. You have repeatedly posted that we don't know WHO you are. I think we do. Despite whatever you have done in the last five years, your dismissive and condescending comments demonstrate that you have learned little about humanity and humility. You know "the price of everything and the value of nothing." A $20k fellowship would have made my journey much easier and it would have also made the journey of many others who are pursuing self-less career paths much easier as well. With regard to YOUR fellowship offer, its clear that no kind deed ever goes unpunished. I do, however, understand why SAIS offered it to you. They want a diversity of student backgrounds and perspectives. Even YOU have something to offer to the rest of us. Personally, I think that there's a lot that you can learn from the prospective I/R students on this forum and at SAIS, also.

Edited by riverguide

Revolution, I understand many of the points you're making. And the way you talk about MBA programs (it's clear you have a lot of friends who did an MBA) shows that that's what you should do. SAIS isn't going to help you. It's going to make you miserable. You're a finance guy with experience and you just absolutely love what MBA entails so if you don't get into an MBA program this year, apply next year and in the meantime keep working (if possible in your circumstances). SAIS or a degree in IR in general isn't for you. You will be much happier at a business school. Good luck with your decision.

Hi fellow SAIS admits!  (Moving away from the MBA/IR debate...)

What career are you interested in going into after SAIS/grad school?  What job do you see yourself in right after and perhaps 10 years after graduation?  

Sorry for the super Personal Statement kind of question, but I'd love to know what your goals are.  Personally, I'm trying to decide if an MA from SAIS is a good choice for me or if I should go the Public Administration route.  I'm interested in ultimately working in the nonprofit sector in human rights advocacy work (hopefully internationally focused) and/or in the provision of basic services like affordable housing, healthcare, and/or education.  I received my BA in IR but have spent the past 3+ years working in public finance- basically at the intersection of government and the affordable housing industry.  

Whatever school I decide on, I'm committed to working in public service and find public policy fascinating.

Thanks!

What career are you interested in going into after SAIS/grad school?  What job do you see yourself in right after and perhaps 10 years after graduation?  

Sorry for the super Personal Statement kind of question, but I'd love to know what your goals are.  Personally, I'm trying to decide if an MA from SAIS is a good choice for me or if I should go the Public Administration route.  I'm interested in ultimately working in the nonprofit sector in human rights advocacy work (hopefully internationally focused) and/or in the provision of basic services like affordable housing, healthcare, and/or education.  I received my BA in IR but have spent the past 3+ years working in public finance- basically at the intersection of government and the affordable housing industry.  

Whatever school I decide on, I'm committed to working in public service and find public policy fascinating.

Thanks!

personally, i would love to work for the IMF or UNDP, but im not sure how feasible that is right out of school.  im more focused on small business development in developing countries

Revolution, I understand many of the points you're making. And the way you talk about MBA programs (it's clear you have a lot of friends who did an MBA) shows that that's what you should do. SAIS isn't going to help you. It's going to make you miserable. You're a finance guy with experience and you just absolutely love what MBA entails so if you don't get into an MBA program this year, apply next year and in the meantime keep working (if possible in your circumstances). SAIS or a degree in IR in general isn't for you. You will be much happier at a business school. Good luck with your decision.

Perhaps you're right. We shall see once all the results are in. On one hand, there's a reason why i only applied to sais and hks for policy. After doing tons of research i arrived at the conclusion that both those programs are well suited for me academically and COULD get me to where i need to go. Obviously not as easy as an MBA but totally doable. Plus everyone i talked to raved about hks and sais. On the other hand though, I know for a fact that I will have a HUGE chip on my shoulders if I do just policy and not a top MBA. I will be hearing stories of my MBA friends' professional success as well as their crazy partying and travelling stories, and I know that I will feel deeply inadequate and insecure. Plus, attractive well-educated women LOVE guys at top MBA programs, and they probably won't take me seriously if I'm just a ir/policy student.

Edited by Revolution

Perhaps you're right. We shall see once all the results are in. On one hand, there's a reason why i only applied to sais and hks for policy. After doing tons of research i arrived at the conclusion that both those programs are well suited for me academically and COULD get me to where i need to go. Obviously not as easy as an MBA but totally doable. Plus everyone i talked to raved about hks and sais. On the other hand though, I know for a fact that I will have a HUGE chip on my shoulders if I do just policy and not a top MBA. I will be hearing stories of my MBA friends' professional success as well as their crazy partying and travelling stories, and I know that I will feel deeply inadequate and insecure. Plus, attractive well-educated women LOVE guys at top MBA programs, and they probably won't take me seriously if I'm just a ir/policy student.

You've probably said this already, but what exactly do you want to do? Do you even want the education associated with an MBA or do you just want the title?

Not trying to attack you personally or anything, but it's kind of funny that someone would base their personal adequacy or security on a degree title. It's especially funny when you only really talk about the stereotypical  perceived social benefits of having an MBA. I really hope that you aren't serious with your posts.

Wow, you are an interesting troll. You put this much effort into trolling an obscure discussion board? Because I just can't believe you're serious.

But if you miraculously are serious with this stuff, seriously buddy, I'm sure you're a nice person and all, but you really need to think about your values and perceptions of life (including finding a mate). That last sentence is so funny and sad at the same time that I don't know what to say. If you truly are serious with this stuff, you must have a huge inferiority complex and a lot of insecurities. There's no other way to put it. I'm no psychologist and I don't want to be and this isn't a place to discuss some random poster's "issues" but that last sentence is just so...mind-blowing. Sir, you are either an excellent troll or a dude with a lot of issues (and with a warped idea of attractive well-educated women).

You've probably said this already, but what exactly do you want to do? Do you even want the education associated with an MBA or do you just want the title?

Not trying to attack you personally or anything, but it's kind of funny that someone would base their personal adequacy or security on a degree title. It's especially funny when you only really talk about the stereotypical  perceived social benefits of having an MBA. I really hope that you aren't serious with your posts.

I have very specific career goals actually and have told them to a few people through pm. I don't want to divulge them here because i'm afraid of getting outed in real life. Sorry for being paranoid about this, but i'm basically interested in a specific area of finance that is NOT banking or private equity.

The social stuff is secondary but it's still very important to me for personal reasons. Yes, I mean every word that I write.

2euq61g.jpg

what the....

Riverguide, if we both end up at SAIS we'll have to trade crazy living abroad stories, although yours put mine to shame!

Well, all results are in save Syracuse aid info, and here are my initial thoughts:  I've all but ruled out G-town, unfortunately, since I feel like it doesn't offer anything SAIS doesn't and will cost me about $25,000 more. Seems like a class program, but I don't think its gonna work out. I think I've mostly ruled out Syracuse as well, barring some kind of miracle offer, since while good I don't think its in the same class as the others. That leaves SAIS, Fletcher, and Chicago. SAIS is $20,000 more than Fletcher, but I also like it much more. Being in Bologna, more rigorous quant training (I'm not a quant guy, so the idea that someone is going to sit me down and force me to eat my vegetables is attractive to me), and the ability to master another language rank it higher in my book. But Fletcher has the sweet consortium with HKS and MIT, and I would walk out with an extra 20 grand in my pocket. And really, I think they're basically a wash in terms of career placement. Then there's Chicago. The main appeal there is its the cheapest by far, being only one year, and it seems like a great program...from an academic standpoint. From a professional standpoint, I honestly have no idea, which is why I'm eager to check out their open house (they offer all their acceptees a stipend to come visit them, which is very cool). If I come out assured that I will be just, or at least almost, as viable on the job market as a SAIS or Fletcher grad (who I already know will have no problem finding a good job), I think its going to be Chicago for me. PLUS it will be great if I do decide to go the PhD route, which is a real possibility. I would have possibly the best academic IR degree there is, great LORs, and enough money in hand that I won't be eating ramen noodles every night into my mid-30s. Heaven!

I know for a fact that I will have a HUGE chip on my shoulders if I do just policy and not a top MBA. I will be hearing stories of my MBA friends' professional success as well as their crazy partying and travelling stories, and I know that I will feel deeply inadequate and insecure. Plus, attractive well-educated women LOVE guys at top MBA programs, and they probably won't take me seriously if I'm just a ir/policy student.

Yes, because IR people neither party nor travel. We live out our days poor, bored, and undersexed. Give me a break dude. In addition to reinforcing every negative stereotype that exists about business school students, this is quite possibly the saddest, most insecure thing I've ever heard an adult say. Please, please, please do not go to SAIS, because perversely curious as I am to find out what you're like in real life, I seriously don't want to be around you and your weird issues for two years.

PS Not that I'm an expert, but if you're the kind of person who lists "ability to get laid" as one of your criteria for grad school, I'm pretty sure your utter lack of self confidence is going to keep you from getting laid no matter where you end up.

Edited by rhodeislander

"Plus, attractive well-educated women LOVE guys at top MBA programs, and they probably won't take me seriously if I'm just a ir/policy student."

What? Well personally I'm a well-educated woman, and I'm not interested in any man's huge MBA.

I really do hope you realize your MBA dreams and wish you much luck. But can you please stop posting such ridiculous drivvle on this particular forum thread? Many of us on here, men and women alike, ARE deciding on policy/IR programs and your big MBA mentality is getting in the way...

Thanks!

...because I find this a way more interesting discussion than the MBA stuff....I'm mainly interested in either certain aspects of the public sector or academia. Or really, anything that pays a living wage and doesn't keep me cooped up in an office, and preferably allows me to be down on the streets getting my hands dirty...so I guess I should include NGO/non-profit in there as well. I really do prefer the "human" aspects of IR more than the quantitative. The only exceptions where I wouldn't mind being cooped up in an office are if I was accepted as an FSO (travel!), or if I got to work in Europe with my EU citizenship (I realize I can't do both, since I assume becoming an FSO means giving up your dual citizenship, alas). Both of those would be lovely in their own right. Anyone else?

I am a little worried that I don't have my career goals spelled out as clearly as some other people (if you couldn't tell from the rambling nature of the above paragraph), but I do have a general direction I want to go in and figure I'll have a much clearer picture of what I want to do after a year of grad school. My meandering approach to life has served me well thus far :)

Edited by rhodeislander

Thanks!

I want to become a professional generalist. And like you, flyingjellyfish, public service is the polar star that guides me...

Edited by riverguide

"Revolution:"

During my last two years in the Middle East, I became embroiled in the Arab Spring in Egypt and watched history unfold during the day of the camel. I watched the Egyptian people cross the Rubicon.  I've learned Arabic from scratch and now speak three dialects of Arabic at the OPI advanced level. As a Boren Scholar in Jordan last year, I traveled to the remote aid camps along the northern border and researched the plight of Syrian refugees and their impact on the struggling economy and diminishing water resources of the region. I interviewed Syrians who buried their dead at night in mass graves because  Syrian Army snipers shot anyone who moved during the day.  The year before, while in Lebanon, I frequently attended Saad Hariri's public speeches honoring his father, the former Lebanese PM who was killed in a terrorist bombing that many have linked to Hezbollah and the Syrians. He was killed because of his efforts to bring peace and stability to the region. In the course of my journey across Egypt and the Levant, I became aware of how inflated food and commodity prices, pseudo-democracies, high unemployment, inequalities of opportunity and sectarian tensions -if left to simmer over time- can provide the necessary impetus for full-blown revolutions. I learned how these issues -if left unaddressed by American diplomacy and aid- can become National Security issues for the region as well as the United States. I am attending SAIS because I want to hone my skills to ameliorate these conflicts and bring economic and political stability to the region. I'm nobody special but there are many special people on this forum. I have had the pleasure of engaging them through PMs. Many of them are warfighters and intel analysts who want to maker our nation safer, many are students and policymakers from other regions who want to bring economic growth and stability to their countries, many are economists who are confronting a world-wide financial crisis of unemployment and underemployment, and many are  pursuing other meritorious, self-less career paths. I have found that the common goals they share are  a commitment to personal and professional growth and a desire work as team players in a rigorous academic setting. You are interested in what's good for YOU. There's nothing wrong with that, but it certainly doesn't make you unique. It doesn't make you special. You have repeatedly posted that we don't know WHO you are. I think we do. Despite whatever you have done in the last five years, your dismissive and condescending comments demonstrate that you have learned little about humanity and humility. You know "the price of everything and the value of nothing." A $20k fellowship would have made my journey much easier and it would have also made the journey of many others who are pursuing self-less career paths much easier as well. With regard to YOUR fellowship offer, its clear that no kind deed ever goes unpunished. I do, however, understand why SAIS offered it to you. They want a diversity of student backgrounds and perspectives. Even YOU have something to offer to the rest of us. Personally, I think that there's a lot that you can learn from the prospective I/R students on this forum and at SAIS, also.

Plus, attractive well-educated women LOVE guys at top MBA programs, and they probably won't take me seriously if I'm just a ir/policy student.

This is tremendous. If ever a reason to attend grad school.