SAIS application for Fall 2013

My god man, I don't mean to be unpleasant or turn this thread into the cesspool of negativity that the HKS thread has become over the last few weeks, but so far as I can tell you have contributed absolutely nothing here or in the other threads other than to complain about how crappy/awful/pointless you think an IR degree is versus an MBA. If you really think an MBA is better, why did you even bother applying to programs like SAIS or HKS? Why not apply to some business schools, since that's clearly what you're interested in? I'm just confused as to why you would apply to IR schools if you're so intent on slagging them off. Look, we realize our earning potential is probably lower than someone with an MBA, and that attending a program like SAIS is a huge financial decision. You may notice we've all been talking about just that. Please realize some of us are in this not to make the most money possible in our careers, but because we have a genuine interest in international relations. Furthermore, not all of us are interested in what an MBA offers. I, for one, am interested in a field that has nothing to do with business, and would not be well served at all by a business degree. Again, I apologize if I'm being rude, but you've really become a broken record and its very tiring. Try being positive sometimes!

Let's not compare an IR degree to an MBA. I am willing to take a substantial loan out at SAIS or HKS and pay it back over the years by compromising on savings. Grad school is not a mad scramble like undergrad. I think we can all get into any grad program we want if we think it out and put our heart in it. If you want to use a cheaper or well funded IR degree to avoid an MBA then you're not in for the same reasons that everyone else is...simple. And I don't feel the need to address the IR vs. MBA debate any further. 

Perfect - that's exactly where it went.  Ha 2 hours wasted staring at nothing.  Thanks

Did anyone not find the Financial Aid login info email in their spam folder? I got the initial email, but no subsequent login info email, and it's not in my spam folder. Emailed the Aid Office; hopefully they reply in the morning.

Let's not compare an IR degree to an MBA. I am willing to take a substantial loan out at SAIS or HKS and pay it back over the years by compromising on savings. Grad school is not a mad scramble like undergrad. I think we can all get into any grad program we want if we think it out and put our heart in it. If you want to use a cheaper or well funded IR degree to avoid an MBA then you're not in for the same reasons that everyone else is...simple. And I don't feel the need to address the IR vs. MBA debate any further. 

My thoughts exactly. Its apples and oranges.

My god man, I don't mean to be unpleasant or turn this thread into the cesspool of negativity that the HKS thread has become over the last few weeks, but so far as I can tell you have contributed absolutely nothing here or in the other threads other than to complain about how crappy/awful/pointless you think an IR degree is versus an MBA. If you really think an MBA is better, why did you even bother applying to programs like SAIS or HKS? Why not apply to some business schools, since that's clearly what you're interested in? I'm just confused as to why you would apply to IR schools if you're so intent on slagging them off. Look, we realize our earning potential is probably lower than someone with an MBA, and that attending a program like SAIS is a huge financial decision. You may notice we've all been talking about just that. Please realize some of us are in this not to make the most money possible in our careers, but because we have a genuine interest in international relations. Furthermore, not all of us are interested in what an MBA offers. I, for one, am interested in a field that has nothing to do with business, and would not be well served at all by a business degree. Again, I apologize if I'm being rude, but you've really become a broken record and its very tiring. Try being positive sometimes!

I applied to mba programs as well and waiting to hear back from them.

curious where you found this? 

Sorry. I was being facetious. In the database around 80-90% of the people who reported SAIS results were offered admission. I thought SAIS's acceptance rate was around 30%, but judging from this forum it seems way higher. Of course i am fully aware that this forum is not indicative of the overall applicant pool.

I applied to mba programs as well and waiting to hear back from them.

Hey guys, stop bashing @ Revolution, the poor guy is just trying to get into the schools same way we do.

Ok, he may have had some mixed experiences surrounding the appl. process, but give the guy a chance to air his frustrations here, its a forum.

Everyone has dreams, incl. me !!

Hey guys, stop bashing @ Revolution, the poor guy is just trying to get into the schools same way we do.

Ok, he may have had some mixed experiences surrounding the appl. process, but give the guy a chance to air his frustrations here, its a forum.

Everyone has dreams, incl. me !!

Thanks man. Yeah I've been fantasizing about going to a top b-school for a while and have worked my butt off for it. My dream combo is wharton-hks. I felt absolutely nothing when i got into sais with fellowship, but getting into a top b-school such as Wharton will be the greatest day of my life and the mba will be a truly transformational experience professionally, personally, and socially. As much as I like SAIS' curriculum, it just won't do the same: questionable private sector placement, and I don't think I will learn that much from my classmates.

Thanks man. Yeah I've been fantasizing about going to a top b-school for a while and have worked my butt off for it. My dream combo is wharton-hks. I felt absolutely nothing when i got into sais with fellowship, but getting into a top b-school such as Wharton will be the greatest day of my life and the mba will be a truly transformational experience professionally, personally, and socially. As much as I like SAIS' curriculum, it just won't do the same: questionable private sector placement, and I don't think I will learn that much from my classmates.

take my advice, do NOT commit to a program that ur not fully convinced about. u will detest the time u spend there, the money u pay, and the ppl u study with.

its not worth the time u invest and the opportunity cost u forfeit. sure, u learn a lot and meet nice ppl, but u dont hv to necessarily go to grad school to achieve that.

follow ur heart, do no listen to what others want u to do, or what is socially expected from u. bcs ur gonna be the one studying for those exams and writing those dreadful papers. u better enjoy it if u wanna make sth out of it.

This will truly be our loss. SAIS is -ultimately- a school for those who want to develop skills in diplomacy. I can see you have other interests...

Edited by riverguide

Thanks for the heads up on the email falling in the spam folder !

I got a $20,000 First Year fellowship, really surprised and amazed !

Seconded!

Mine actually went to a secondary email address, but seeing all these posts about it going into other people's spam folders made me check only to find out that I also got a 20k fellowship!! I thought I was set on another program, but now this is making me confused.

Was placed on the IDEV waitlist. That was really nice of SAIS. I don't mean that sarcastically because I wasn't offered IDEV admission outright; it was a very nice email.

Edited by Goose1459

I got admitted by SAIS without any FinAid, and some confusion: online application system says that I can choose from any programs other than International Development, while an email today says "Congratulations on your admission to SAIS and the International Development (IDEV) Program", I don't know whether I am admitted to IDEV or not.

I gave up on SAIS already, with the high cost of attendance!

Wishing those attending an enjoyable experience there.

Seconded!

Mine actually went to a secondary email address, but seeing all these posts about it going into other people's spam folders made me check only to find out that I also got a 20k fellowship!! I thought I was set on another program, but now this is making me confused.

Congrats! I wish I had gotten some $. Oh well, I guess it will be between GPPI and LBJ for me!

I don't want to argue, but just be aware that some of your posts can really come off the wrong way, maybe without you realizing it. Sorry if I came off as overly harsh, and best of luck with your business schools. Like the person above said, if you really don't think SAIS is for you I would call them up asap and let them know, so they can give that money to someone who wants it. Also, I don't know what you've heard, but so far as I can tell their private sector placement is generally excellent!

Aaaaanyway, just waiting to hear back from Georgetown now! Happy to have had a highly successful app cycle so far, but damn is this decision going to be tough (ahem, firstworldproblems)...Do I go with the higher cost but proven excellence that is SAIS or Fletcher, or the much lower cost but less well known quantity that is Chicago? Or does Maxwell come through with full tuition+stipend, making all of this irrelevent? B)

Edited by rhodeislander

Aaaaanyway, just waiting to hear back from Georgetown now! Happy to have had a highly successful app cycle so far, but damn is this decision going to be tough (ahem, firstworldproblems)...Do I go with the higher cost but know quantity that is SAIS or Fletcher, or the much lower cost but less well known quantity that is Chicago? Or does Maxwell come through with full tuition+stipend, making all of this irrelevent? B)

I hear you. Still waiting for SIPA which has been one of my top choices in my mind. But even if I somehow get admitted, we know that SIPA isn't going to give any money for the first year so that will make things difficult. Will I go for a pretty solid (but not top 5 or internationally known) AU that is offering me just a wonderful financial package? Or will I choose SAIS that is an even better program and I get to go to Bologna (I'm European with transatlantic interests and could see myself working in Europe in the future) but I have less than half of the tuition covered? Or, if I get into Columbia, will I pay the most but can go to what I consider my number one school (and get to realize my life long dream of living in NYC)? Or will I choose GW that offers me less money than AU but I feel that their program and contacts are a notch above AU's? Or will I go to Denver? Well no, that I can rule out (no offense Korbel, you have been great). Fletcher is a wonderful program too but the cost and the location makes it a very hard choice for me.

I feel very lucky and "blessed" that I have all these options and I'm honestly surprised I got into so many schools. But it also means making the final decision will require a lot of thinking.

I don't want to argue, but just be aware that some of your posts can really come off the wrong way, maybe without you realizing it. Sorry if I came off as overly harsh, and best of luck with your business schools. Like the person above said, if you really don't think SAIS is for you I would call them up asap and let them know, so they can give that money to someone who wants it. Also, I don't know what you've heard, but so far as I can tell their private sector placement is generally excellent!

Aaaaanyway, just waiting to hear back from Georgetown now! Happy to have had a highly successful app cycle so far, but damn is this decision going to be tough (ahem, firstworldproblems)...Do I go with the higher cost but proven excellence that is SAIS or Fletcher, or the much lower cost but less well known quantity that is Chicago? Or does Maxwell come through with full tuition+stipend, making all of this irrelevent? B)

SAIS' private sector placement is something I'm gong to dig deeper into in the coming weeks. I contacted admissions office to see if they can set me up with a student or alum who is in my profession of interest. It seems like SAIS does reasonably well in world bank/imf/fed and political/econ consulting type jobs, but when the median PRIVATE sector salary is a meager $63K, you do wonder what the heck is going on at SAIS. And it makes you wonder how they can justify such an insanely high tuition.

Anyways, best of luck to everyone.

SAIS' private sector placement is something I'm gong to dig deeper into in the coming weeks. I contacted admissions office to see if they can set me up with a student or alum who is in my profession of interest. It seems like SAIS does reasonably well in world bank/imf/fed and political/econ consulting type jobs, but when the median PRIVATE sector salary is a meager $63K, you do wonder what the heck is going on at SAIS. And it makes you wonder how they can justify such an insanely high tuition.

Anyways, best of luck to everyone.

let us know what they say, im curious about this as well.

Revolution,

1.) You have been obsessed with prestige, but when you get into an elite grad school, you don't want it. 

2.) You need to do an MFE at Columbia, CMU, or Cornell.

3.) You need to get a job in finance.

4.) You need to learn to be happy with what you have, even if some people around you have more (prestige, money, success).  Everyone except for Nobel Prize-winners, Bill Gates, and Barack Obama need to deal with that (even HBS alumns like Mitt Romney, even HKS profs with Bohemian Grove memberships who appear on CNN and get chased by Alex Jones.)

Edited by AvariciousBanker

Revolution,

1.) You have been obsessed with prestige, but when you get into an elite grad school, you don't want it. 

2.) You need to do an MFE at Columbia, CMU, or Cornell.

3.) You need to get a job in finance.

4.) You need to learn to be happy with what you have, even if some people around you have more (prestige, money, success).  Everyone except for Nobel Prize-winners, Bill Gates, and Barack Obama need to deal with that (even HBS alumns like Mitt Romney, even HKS profs with Bohemian Grove memberships who appear on CNN and get chased by Alex Jones.)

Hmm. Weird coming from someone who doesn't know me since I already have a lot of finance experience. Also MFE is not a good fit with my long-term goals.

As far as being happy with what you have, I'm not going to engage in such philosophical topics on a grad school forum.

Hmm. Weird coming from someone who doesn't know me since I already have a lot of finance experience. Also MFE is not a good fit with my long-term goals.

As far as being happy with what you have, I'm not going to engage in such philosophical topics on a grad school forum.

You told me you had friends in the program.  Given that the program is mostly quants (actually, the Europeans are ALL quants), and given that only people in finance would bother being friends with quants (us and our nerdy jokes about skewness and generalized pareto distributions), that rules out a lot of people.

Philosophy is one of the only things that can truly make you happy in life.  You seem unhappy to me, and philosophy is probably one of the few things that is both completely impractical yet relevant to everyone.

Edited by AvariciousBanker

Just out of curiosity, anybody know what the admit rate for SAIS MA is? Also, do a lot of admits get the $20K/year fellowship?

I'm curious about the fellowship as well. Guessing that means I wasn't as competitive a candidate since I didn't get one. Oh well, I was completely floored that they accepted me at all. 

I received an admission to the SAIS DC but with the choice of anything but IDEV as concentration. My short/long-term objective is to be in International Development primarily in quantitative economics. Although happy with the decision, I feel a little bummed with the rider attached and would love to have your insights on:

(1) Does it make sense to pick something like energy, resources and environment and primarily focus on the international economic specializations as that is more aligned with my ID-objectives? As a corollary, does it matter what concentration is mentioned in the final graduation sheet?

(2) Secondly,is this a conditional decision - meaning- is it possible I might be moved to the IDEV class if there are seats available?

Any insights will help tremendously.