SAIS application for Fall 2013

For those of you who didn't get into IDEV and are in at Bologna, what would you study? There are few South Asia studies at BC, which was my backup plan. Does anyone know the SAIS perception (inside and out) of doing IR-General? I've read on here that the American Foreign Policy program is not so great. 

Thanks!

Edited by Goose1459

I received funding and it wasn't a separate application. I don't even know which fellowship I got; they said that they will inform about that in a week or so. Hopefully you'll get some funding because SAIS is very expensive and even with some funding I still have to think about it very carefully.

Do D.C. MA admits get funding information along with the acceptance or do we have to wait for financial aid info?

We have to wait until next week.

"Candidates who have submitted their SAIS financial aid application and Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by February 15 will be given online access to their financial aid award within a week from the date of this letter. If your FAFSA was submitted after the 15th, award information will follow in the next two weeks."

Edited by riverguide

For those of you who didn't get into IDEV and are in at Bologna, what would you study? There are few South Asia studies at BC, which was my backup plan. Does anyone know the SAIS perception (inside and out) of doing IR-General? I've read on here that the American Foreign Policy program is not so great. 

Thanks!

I applied and was just accepted into General IR and received funding.  Personally I wasn't committed to any more specialized major and am interested in learning about the many aspects of IR.  I'm not too worried about the perception of that- SAIS has an amazing reputation regardless and my reason makes a lot of sense to me. 

Good luck with your decision :)

For those admitted to the DC campus, I just received an email from the Financial Aid office with instructions to log in to a site to view my financial aid award (you'll have to wait for a separate email with your username and password, but the site is here: https://isis.jhu.edu/sswf/). The email also included information on applying for Grad PLUS loans to make up the difference. 

Received a $20,000 first year fellowship, so I'm very pleased! Still not sure SAIS will be the most viable for me financially, but it helps a lot.

I'm pretty sure this financial aid information does not incorporate the Merrill or other fellowships that required an essay, but does anyone know for sure?

For those admitted to the DC campus, I just received an email from the Financial Aid office with instructions to log in to a site to view my financial aid award (you'll have to wait for a separate email with your username and password, but the site is here: https://isis.jhu.edu/sswf/). The email also included information on applying for Grad PLUS loans to make up the difference. 

Received a $20,000 first year fellowship, so I'm very pleased! Still not sure SAIS will be the most viable for me financially, but it helps a lot.

I'm pretty sure this financial aid information does not incorporate the Merrill or other fellowships that required an essay, but does anyone know for sure?

I got the $20K fellowship as well just now. Given that the total cost of attendance is a whopping $65848 per year, not sure if this is enough.

Mind blowing that SAIS' tuition alone is $40K when top b-schools tuition is $50-55K. The latter obviously delivers so much more economic value to students. Unreal.

Edited by Revolution

is that the 20k Phillip Merrill Fellowship or a need based one?  i just checked and they can only offer me a 20k loan...dunno where in the world id be coming up with the remaining 40k.  oh well

is that the 20k Phillip Merrill Fellowship or a need based one?  i just checked and they can only offer me a 20k loan...dunno where in the world id be coming up with the remaining 40k.  oh well

It's a general merit fellowships. This is separate from the named fellowships that required additional essays.

gotcha, yeah mine said "aid amount: $20,500" which got me real excited, but then i saw it was an unsubsidized loan.  bummer

congrats to you guys!

Edited by dyavrom

I got the $20K fellowship as well just now. Given that the total cost of attendance is a whopping $65848 per year, not sure if this is enough.

Mind blowing that SAIS' tuition alone is $40K when top b-schools tuition is $50-55K. The latter obviously delivers so much more economic value to students. Unreal.

All I've seen you do on this board is complain. I seriously feel bad for your future classmates, colleagues, and coworkers. 

Those that received funding tonight -- how soon after the initial email did you get your login info?  Email came in over 2 hours ago and I can't do anything but stare at my inbox now...

Those that received funding tonight -- how soon after the initial email did you get your login info?  Email came in over 2 hours ago and I can't do anything but stare at my inbox now...

Check your junk mail. That's where my login info e-mail went.

Check your junk mail. That's where my login info e-mail went.

Perfect - that's exactly where it went.  Ha 2 hours wasted staring at nothing.  Thanks

All I've seen you do on this board is complain. I seriously feel bad for your future classmates, colleagues, and coworkers. 

Well to be fair, he's not wrong.  As great of a program as it is, $120k is a huge amount of money to pay when the average graduate makes on average $63k.  No one's saying it's not a great program, just a very expensive one.  

Well to be fair, he's not wrong.  As great of a program as it is, $120k is a huge amount of money to pay when the average graduate makes on average $63k.  No one's saying it's not a great program, just a very expensive one.  

Exactly. I just don't see how policy programs can charge a tuition of $40K/year. It's totally ridiculous.

I would suggest calling them in the morning, declining the offer and freeing up the money for those of us who find more value in the program than you do...

I got into the Bologna program but they didn't mention anything about my concentration one way or the other...  Not sure what to make of that.  Conflict Resolution is what I had put down.  No financial aid at all except for a $20,000 federal loan (gee thanks).  Not sure if I can make it happen even though I really want to.  But $120,000 for a two year program that isn't a medical degree and won't give me an impressive salary...  yikes.  Lofty.  Really want to go though.  Psyched, overwhelmed, concerned.

I was denied admission to GWU Elliott School.  I got into a few other safety programs, (Penn State School of International Affairs, George Mason), but the programs aren't even comparable.

My god man, I don't mean to be unpleasant or turn this thread into the cesspool of negativity that the HKS thread has become over the last few weeks, but so far as I can tell you have contributed absolutely nothing here or in the other threads other than to complain about how crappy/awful/pointless you think an IR degree is versus an MBA. If you really think an MBA is better, why did you even bother applying to programs like SAIS or HKS? Why not apply to some business schools, since that's clearly what you're interested in? I'm just confused as to why you would apply to IR schools if you're so intent on slagging them off. Look, we realize our earning potential is probably lower than someone with an MBA, and that attending a program like SAIS is a huge financial decision. You may notice we've all been talking about just that. Please realize some of us are in this not to make the most money possible in our careers, but because we have a genuine interest in international relations. Furthermore, not all of us are interested in what an MBA offers. I, for one, am interested in a field that has nothing to do with business, and would not be well served at all by a business degree. Again, I apologize if I'm being rude, but you've really become a broken record and its very tiring. Try being positive sometimes!

Edited by rhodeislander

From looking at the results database it seems like 90% of the applicants get into SAIS.

Whats their acceptance rate? Is SAIS really that easy to get into?

curious where you found this?