SAIS application for Fall 2013

The only rising star I know of is Kellogg in terms of MBB recruitment. Just as a FYI, earlier in the thread Revolution and I had a lot of posts on the behind-the-scenes process of consulting and finance recruiting for MA candidates in case you wanted to peruse. (Obvi) bottom-line -- it's an uphill battle, especially if you do not have prior experience. I once conducted case study practice for a friend at Fletcher. It was a nightmare and his MBB interview was in 3 days. Sometimes I don't think people know what they are getting into and/or the expectation level of these firms.

All the M7 schools do well with MBB consulting, but after HBS, Kellogg is the strongest. My best friend is a second-year there, and he told me that each of the MBB hired roughly 30-40 of his classmates. For consulting, it's hard to beat that school, and they also have tons of fun. Very much a laid-back fratty environment; culturally, it's the total opposite of its cross-town rival, Chicago Booth.

Very few non-mba policy students are prepared for rigorous MBB or finance interviews. Last summer I had dinner with a friend who did mit sloan-hks and is now working as a portfolio manager at a major mutual fund in Boston. He said that HKS students would e-mail him for advice on getting into finance, so he would tell them to forward their resumes so he could see if he can help them. He said their resumes were a total mess, and when he talked to them on the phone they didn't know what they were talking about. I then asked him, "would you have done just hks without the mba?" And he replied, "hell no."

Edited by Revolution

@jim08 I am an Indian national working with a Legal & tax firm in New Delhi.

Getting into MBB is not a cakewalk anywhere but it is relatively easier to get a position in an emerging market compared to mature markets like US and perhaps UK (continental Europe I believe is very different, not big into consulting and normally have their own strong boutique firms) 

@jim08 I am an Indian national working with a Legal & tax firm in New Delhi.

Getting into MBB is not a cakewalk anywhere but it is relatively easier to get a position in an emerging market compared to mature markets like US and perhaps UK (continental Europe I believe is very different, not big into consulting and normally have their own strong boutique firms) 

If MBB is your goal go to darden. Stern and Cornell are very weak with MBB. 

Does anyone know if the "virtual sessions"/webinars are being recorded?

Dont know but someone asked on the parallel chat session and they answered in affirmative. However I would not count on it as in past whenever they had these kind of sessions they always say that will send the recording but never do.

...on that note, for anyone considering the Bologna program who's sick of all this MBA talk, or simply finds it irrelevant, someone started a new thread on SAIS Bologna that will hopefully stay on topic and won't devolve into a cesspool of negativity. Ya'll are welcome to find us over there!

Too bad this thread has been taken over by MBA talk.

Ok. I just got off the phone with Sidney Jackson, director of admissions. First of all, he's a SUPER nice guy, very down to earth, and answered all of my questions honestly. Great guy. I can't say enough good things about him based on my interactions. Here were the questions I asked him and his answers.

1. Q: What is the recruiting like by financial firms? Do any of them visit campus? Have students been successful in breaking into this sector? Have career treks been useful?

A: Financial firms have cut hiring massively, and students just aren't getting jobs at banks like they used to. I'm gonna be totally honest about this. They don't recruit on-campus, and so you would have to rely on the SAIS network and your own search. Students do go on career treks, which gives them exposure to firms and meet people, but thus far only a few students this year have been successful in getting finance jobs.

2. Q: how about institutions such as the world bank/imf/fed, etc.?

A:  Even hiring in those areas and other parts of the government have been slowing down since the government is also downsizing. Some of our presidential management fellows can't pursue the fellowship because they've been unable to get government jobs. As for the world bank, they mostly hire our international students, and the contract in on like a 1-year trial basis. So there's no job stability beyond that mark for the most part.

3. Q: any idea what the success rate is like for first-year SAIS students who apply to top MBA programs?

A: about 10% of our class is joint MBA-MA, and some of them did apply during their first year here. Being SAIS is not necessarily helpful or a hindrance since admission to MBA programs is totally separate from MA.  However, we do have information sessions with mba programs such as stanford and wharton, where admissions officers come to campus to talk to students.  Being a SAIS student MIGHT help in the sense that it shows that you're at a rigorous grad program, have requisite quant/analytical skills, and if you can get a rec from a prof, that might help as well.

So this is roughly the summary of what he told me. He also urged me to come to open house to get a better feel on the school, students, and culture. As of now, after this conversation, I'm about 90% confident that I will be turning down SAIS' half-tuition fellowship for D.C.

Ok. I just got off the phone with Sidney Jackson, director of admissions. First of all, he's a SUPER nice guy, very down to earth, and answered all of my questions honestly. Great guy. I can't say enough good things about him based on my interactions. Here were the questions I asked him and his answers.

1. Q: What is the recruiting like by financial firms? Do any of them visit campus? Have students been successful in breaking into this sector? Have career treks been useful?

A: Financial firms have cut hiring massively, and students just aren't getting jobs at banks like they used to. I'm gonna be totally honest about this. They don't recruit on-campus, and so you would have to rely on the SAIS network and your own search. Students do go on career treks, which gives them exposure to firms and meet people, but thus far only a few students this year have been successful in getting finance jobs.

A:  Even hiring in those areas and other parts of the government have been slowing down since the government is also downsizing. Some of our presidential management fellows can't pursue the fellowship because they've been unable to get government jobs. As for the world bank, they mostly hire our international students, and the contract in on like a 1-year trial basis. So there's no job stability beyond that mark for the most part.

3. Q: any idea what the success rate is like for first-year SAIS students who apply to top MBA programs?

A: about 10% of our class is joint MBA-MA, and some of them did apply during their first year here. Being SAIS is not necessarily helpful or a hindrance since admission to MBA programs is totally separate from MA.  However, we do have information sessions with mba programs such as stanford and wharton, where admissions officers come to campus to talk to students.  Being a SAIS student MIGHT help in the sense that it shows that you're at a rigorous grad program, have requisite quant/analytical skills, and if you can get a rec from a prof, that might help as well.

So this is roughly the summary of what he told me. He also urged me to come to open house to get a better feel on the school, students, and culture. As of now, after this conversation, I'm about 90% confident that I will be turning down SAIS' half-tuition fellowship for D.C.

First useful post you've made. thanks.

Thanks for sharing. I appreciate his honesty.

Thanks for sharing. I appreciate his honesty.

No problem. Sidney is a great guy.  I actually felt bad precisely because he was so nice and honest and at the same time was trying hard to sell me on SAIS.  I love the SAIS curriculum and the depth of courses they offer in macroecon, international finance, monetary econ, etc. But my primary purpose in going to grad school is to get the job I want coming out. And unfortunately in that area, SAIS will not help me achieve my goals. Finally, I would be very unhappy at SAIS, upset that I'm not at a top MBA program and fantasizing about how much more awesome my life would be at those schools. For these reasons, I will be turning down SAIS despite the generous fellowship.

Best of luck to you guys who will be attending SAIS. I wish you the best.

Edited by Revolution

Hey there everyone! I've been accepted to the SAIS Bologna IDEV program for Fall 2013. I'm deciding between SAIS (great funding) and the Georgetown MA in Global Human Development (no funding). My career goals are in the humanitarian assistance sector, ideally with an NGO though I'm sure I'll move between public, private, and non-profit, as that seems to be the trend nowadays. I have been leaning away from SAIS since the focus seems to be more on quanitative analysis and theory than on project design and implementation, but it's hard to ignore a great funding offer. I'd love any of your opinions on the subject. Thanks a ton!

Hey there everyone! I've been accepted to the SAIS Bologna IDEV program for Fall 2013. I'm deciding between SAIS (great funding) and the Georgetown MA in Global Human Development (no funding). My career goals are in the humanitarian assistance sector, ideally with an NGO though I'm sure I'll move between public, private, and non-profit, as that seems to be the trend nowadays. I have been leaning away from SAIS since the focus seems to be more on quanitative analysis and theory than on project design and implementation, but it's hard to ignore a great funding offer. I'd love any of your opinions on the subject. Thanks a ton!

Congrats on the great offers! SAIS IDEV is an excellent program, and getting funding is even better.  If you want to move across the public and private sectors, I think you should go with SAIS since the quantitative training will be very valuable in whatever you do.

Thanks, @Revolution. Do you know much about their humanitarian focus? (I'm talking with a professor on Saturday, but it'd be great to have other opinions!)

Thanks, @Revolution. Do you know much about their humanitarian focus? (I'm talking with a professor on Saturday, but it'd be great to have other opinions!)

I could be wrong on this since it's not my area of expertise, but I think SAIS is weak in the humanitarian aspect.  However, SAIS IDEV is a much bigger name brand than the georgetown program, and I'm a strong believer that you should go to the best grad school you get into. The fact that you got IDEV funding (which is not easy) and you will acquire some important analytical tools, makes this an easy decision in my opinion. But you should definitely get opinions from people who know about this field way more than I do.

Best of luck.

Okay then, now that Revolution has made his decision, can we please get off the MBA stuff and back on topic? I feel like the last 12 or so pages of this thread have just revolved around Revolution and his needs...

Thanks for the info and all the best for the decisions that you are awaiting !