Cost.

citychild

Cost of graduate schools floors me. Some top the $50k mark. REALLY?! Gawh, this is such a frustrating process. I'd like to get a PhD at some point and have been told to go to a top 20 school because of this. This matters. Beejebus, these schools are expensive. I have no parents. I'm completely on my own and cannot afford to commit financial suicide to go to graduate school. On top of that, I want to do macro which seems to be a joke with those two requirements.

Oh, and I'd like some LGBT rights for my partner and I since we have none currently... but throw that in there and I feel like I need to surrender.

Any advice?

Virtually nobody getting a PhD is actually paying any tuition; they are receiving waivers and stipends in exchange for working as TAs or RAs, etc.

(This doesn't apply to professional programs. Terminal master's programs are also, typically, less funded than PhDs.)

I feel your frustration. It sounds like you're in a really tricky situation, and I'm sorry =( I'm guessing you'll already be filling out the FAFSA to get some need-based aid, and applying to the early deadlines so that you can be eligible for some programs' scholarships/workstudy type things...that's about all I can think of that I've found to try to minimize some of those crazy costs. Sorry I can't offer more, I definitely will if I come across anything.

Hi citychild! I am currently in CT and looking to head out to denver for their MSW program (even though it costs a ridiculous $53,000 for the year). I am in a same sex marriage where my wife gets all of my benefits through my employer but same sex marriage is not legal in CO yet. It worries me to move there and start completely over but I am so excited for the process. I wish you the best...

dawn321: Thanks for your feedback. Yea, I am in AZ now where my girlfriend and I have no rights--at all. I was in ICU for 10 days at one point and she shares with me the struggles she had to see me. It appears I am applying to Portland State in Oregon, UW in Seattle, WA, UChicago, Columbia (only because their financial aid packages tend to be strong) and another in New York. Out of all those, I believe Illinois has the fewest rights.

If you ever need feedback, feel free to shoot me a DM.

• 1 month later...

There seem to be very little info on the forums about the COSTS of an MSW, and what types of free aid (merit scholarships etc) is given by which schools. Can we compile a list of schools/programs and merit scholarships offered? It's so hard to estimate how much a program will cost without understanding what type of free aid is given. From my understanding, some schools offer virtually nothing and some very commonly offer 1/2 tuition forgiveness.

My attendance of a program is nearly SOLELY based on costs, anyone else with me here?

Which schools give the best aid?

My attendance of a program is nearly SOLELY based on costs, anyone else with me here?

Yes. Completely.

As you can see, I applied to a wide variety of schools in terms of locations and costs. I was going to apply to Salem State too, but I'm exhausted.

Cost followed by location. I have a difficult time putting the two together sometimes. I may be able to find a cheaper school... but do I want to live in Kansas? Not me. If you like Kansas, go for it--but I hate driving so I have to calculate that into the formula too.

Edited by citychild

Citychild-

Looking through your list of applied schools -- can I ask you how much you estimate portland state to cost? And if they offer scholarships or any free aid? I know Udub is on the expensive side (for out of state), and offer virtually no free aid, otherwise I would love to attend that program.

I've applied to BU as well, and I'm waiting to hear about scholarships from them. Based on my research they have full, 1/2, and 1/4 tuition waivers.

Citychild-

Looking through your list of applied schools -- can I ask you how much you estimate portland state to cost? And if they offer scholarships or any free aid? I know Udub is on the expensive side (for out of state), and offer virtually no free aid, otherwise I would love to attend that program.

I've applied to BU as well, and I'm waiting to hear about scholarships from them. Based on my research they have full, 1/2, and 1/4 tuition waivers.

From the Portland State tuition estimator (http://www.pdx.edu/bao/tuition-estimator), it looks like $6,745 per term. I'm guessing it would all even out to be between $16-18k. I'm not sure of their aid packages, but I did visit the campus and was impressed. SUNY is about $20k.

SUNY and Portland are my top two choices. I applied to Loyola because I did a year at Fordham and I'm fond of the Jesuit education. Seattle because I admire their research. Boston because of their macro track. The likelihood of going to UW is low, even if admitted largely due to the cost of their program.

If you're out of California, like your profile indicates, have you heard about WICHE? http://wiche.edu/wrgp

Hi Chrislee,

I think this is a great idea, and one that I would've found helpful when I was applying. I can share my experiences from applying in 2011, but I think I'm in an unusual place because my undergrad GPA probably kept me from receiving merit aid at some schools. For what it's worth -

GPA: 3.1 from a large state school

3 years of research and direct practice experience - volunteering as an RA, working in inpatient psych and community mental health, CASA volunteer, some policy/advocacy work around child protection issues

UChicago SSA - $18,000

Bryn Mawr College - $17,500 (also rather generous)

NYU - $10,500

UPenn - $2,000

Boston University - No grant/scholarship aid (but lower tuition than others, and i know that they do offer solid merit aid)

VCU - No grant/scholarship aid

Hunter College - I never heard, but their tuition is fairly reasonable to begin with.

I don't think they offered any. I was below the GPA cutoff for merit aid considerations, and never heard anything from them about tuition forgiveness.

I discussed my UChicago experience in your other post asking about it, but other than the $18,000, no free aid. I did get and use a $4,500 work-study allowance, though. I was able to lobby for a slight scholarship increase for the second year, but I think that's rare.

Edited by 2011 MSW Hopeful

I just saw your other post. Thanks for all the details!!

Just out of curiosity, are you funding the rest of your tuition with loans? I'm seriously confused to how MSW students w/out independent/family financial assistance are paying these huge tuition rates. I was accepted last year to a private school (30k per year tuition not including living expenses or books) and they only offered me 20k in loans. I'm completely broke so I'm assuming that's the ceiling of what they offer in loans to anyone.......

How the heck are people paying for school?!

Yes, loans. You can receive $20,500 yearly in subsidized/unsubsidized Stafford loans, and the rest of tuition/living expenses are covered by higher interest Grad PLUS loans. If you're very low-income, you may qualify for a Perkins loan of a few thousand. The school estimates a total cost of attendance with tuition, room, board, and other necessary expenses, and you can borrow up to that amount between those federal loan programs (whether you should is something that you have to decide for yourself). For example, the total cost of attendance at UChicago is around $60,000 a year, so you could conceivably borrow whatever of that amount is not covered by gift aid.

It's unfortunate, but loans are a fact of life for Masters students who aren't very, very fortunate with aid or supported by some other income. It's an investment, so it's important to choose a school where you have a reasonable expectation of a return on that investment.

Edited by 2011 MSW Hopeful

• 3 weeks later...

Great thread. I'd like to hear the ways (merit scholarships, tuition forgiveness, etc) people are paying for their MSW that does not involve family support or graduate loans. There seems to be little discussion about getting the most bang for your buck and where to find it.

I am attending Columbia for the 16month program. I was offered $9,000 for the first year with no mention of the second year. Is this typical? I am hoping with good grades and successful field education I will be able to get more money my second year. Do you usually get the same thing or more the second year as you did the first?

• 2 months later...

Sophiecat,

You could try applying to a Canadian school. Most MSW's offered in Canada are 1 yr advanced degrees, but there are some Foundational 2 yr programs. I am certain that the fees will be cheaper than many US schools, even as an international student.

http://www.aucc.ca/canadian-universities/facts-and-stats/tuition-fees-by-university.

I have also noticed that a few schools in Massachusetts offer low-priced tuition for out-of-state residents, so you might want to consider this part of the country as well.

Great thread. I'd like to hear the ways (merit scholarships, tuition forgiveness, etc) people are paying for their MSW that does not involve family support or graduate loans. There seems to be little discussion about getting the most bang for your buck and where to find it.

Edited by jenste

Until I actually got into my first school, I didn't entirely think about the money. I just kind of a faith, and nothing felt real anyway. Which was dumb. Really, really dumb.

When I was accepted into BU, I wasn't offered anything other than the maximum loan amount (which didn't even cover tuition). Before I was accepted into UCLA, I weighed the costs of having a car in LA vs. heating bills in Boston, opportunity to hold a part-time job, etc and it really came down to tuition. I figured that after I get out of a MSW program, I'll only be making $2,000 to $7,000 more than I do now (and I live pay check to pay check with Los Angeles cost of living being so high). That's not a huge pay bump. Even though BU had a great program that was a little more appropriate for what I want to do, the extra $20,000 I'd be spending for the education was just not worth it. Especially so when I put it into the context of working an additional 10 years to pay it off while still living the lifestyle I do now.

That said, even though I'd be saving $10,000ish if I went to CSUN (rent's cheaper around there, tuition is less, etc), it's worth it to me to go to a US New and Reports top 20 school. 

At the end of the day, it's all very depressing and discouraging. Hopefully, it'll be worth it in the end. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am a married mom of two, going to grad school at age 34.  My husband was making a career shift at the same time I was considering graduate school, so he focused his job search on places that had schools with decent MSW programs.  We ended up in Knoxville, TN and I applied and was accepted to UT Knoxville.  It's ranked #37 on US News & World Reports for MSW programs, and it made the list at #60 for a "Best Value" public school. 

My priorities for school were to find a decent program that was cost-effective, and I think I've found that in UT.  The bursar's office estimated annual graduate tuition at around $10K, so around $20K for the program, not including any scholarship assistance I may or may not receive.  Also, I won't have much of a commute (we live 15 miles from campus), and my husband works on campus so I can easily run into him on class days, which is a nice perk. 

I know some people are committed to going to big-name schools for their MSW degree, but I have never felt the same pressure or desire to do that.  I'm pursuing the clinical concentration, and I just can't really see how it matters what school my degree is from.  The programs at the foundational level are all so similar.  I understand people have their reasons for going to expensive private schools, and I have my reasons for NOT doing that.  With two elementary school kids, and starting this career in my mid-30's, there's just no good reason for me to rack up any more debt than I absolutely have to.  I refuse to do that to my family, especially when I can get a degree that suits my purposes for less.  We are and have always been somewhat averse to debt in general (our only current debt is our mortgage and my husband's undergrad loans), so of course that plays in to my decision to attend a low-cost state school.  With the current state of our economy, and the fact that most of us are not exactly getting into social work for the money (!), I think it makes a lot of sense to keep your costs as low as possible, unless you have some compelling reason otherwise.

Good luck to all of you!

I just wanted to second what Reyna323 said.   I'm in a similar boat to what she described.   I felt like that since I knew I wanted to eventually get my LCSW to work with veterans, that I did not need to get into a lot of debt along the way.  I applied to a local state school and I'm waiting to hear back from them.  Not only does the cost of the WHOLE program not exceed $20,000, but they also offer GA positions and scholarships.  They have several different PAID internship programs as well. 

I know a lot of you want to be "fancy" like the poster 'socialworkphd' described, but really think about debt to predicted income ratio before you pick a school.

I just cringe when people think $60,000 is an acceptable amount to be in debt for an MSW.  Most LCSW's don't make that in a year (depending on what part of the country you are in).   Do you know how much money that is a MONTH?   If you feel your situation really warrants it (I know can be macro is more competitive than direct practice), then you have to weigh those sacrifices.  However, most people don't really need that name to accomplish the work they dream of.