Stanford '09

Hevan24

i got Escondillo (sp?) 2 bedrooms - 2 occupants efficiency.

Do i need to confirm the assignment? I don't see any action I can take. Somehow i feel i need to press a button that will finalize the housing assignment.

Also, a question regarding loans. For those of you needing loans, when do we know how much of each type of loans we are getting?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I'm on campus this summer. I brought my car from the East Coast and I think it was a very good decision to make. Basically, Stanford is liveable without a car, but the hassle is immense. You make up a lot of the gas money in savings on groceries for instance (look up the Milk Pail Market in Mtn View for a cheap place to get amazing produce). Otherwise you have to shop at JJ&F and Safeway (for the former, can you say $5 gallons of milk?). In terms of traveling around the Bay Area, you do not need a car to go to San Francisco or San Jose, even though it's much faster if you drive. You also don't need a car to get to and from either SFO or SJC. But if you want to travel anywhere else in the Bay Area (i.e. Berkeley), I think having a car is a necessity. It depends on how much you see yourself traveling at weekends I suppose. Of course, there is always the zipcar option for that, but do be careful when factoring in all the costs.

wow. Awesome reply. Thank you.

Could you please share what you found when you were trying to get your car across the continent? Did you drive yourself? How much would it have been if you wanted to ship it?

2nd question: Other than the gasoline cost, how is the maintenance cost for having a car, while living on campus? I realize there must be a parking permit to have my car parked near my apartment, but how much would it be?

Any info / light you can shed on me would be appreciated. Thank you!

Hi, I was accepted to a PhD at Stanford too and will be visiting the week of the 10th to the 13th. Not sure exactly when, but most likely near the end of the week. I'm driving up from Southern California. We don't have an admit day, but I am interested in student housing and possibly touring the campus if anyone has any relevant information...

• 3 weeks later...

wow everyone is staying on campus?

anyone is living off campus?? off campus housing is a better option for me and i was very fortunate to find a place to stay. I will be staying at my friend's house in PA just 2 miles away from campus. it's a very good timing too just when her brother is moving out

wow everyone is staying on campus?

anyone is living off campus?? off campus housing is a better option for me and i was very fortunate to find a place to stay. I will be staying at my friend's house in PA just 2 miles away from campus. it's a very good timing too just when her brother is moving out

I'll be off campus, too, in Mountain View.

Who's moving in to on-campus housing this upcoming month?

axess says that my dorm (escondido village) will be ready by September 12th. Assuming that I move in on this day -- what am I supposed to do until classes start on September 21st?

I'm just wondering what they expect grad students to do for a full week. 2 days will be devoted to orientation stuff (for civil engineering which is the dept i'm in), but that still leaves 5 other days that I'll be really bored.

Was wondering if I should move in a little bit later, such as the day before orientation (which are on Sept17-18th)

What do you guys plan on doing?

Who's moving in to on-campus housing this upcoming month?

axess says that my dorm (escondido village) will be ready by September 12th. Assuming that I move in on this day -- what am I supposed to do until classes start on September 21st?

I'm just wondering what they expect grad students to do for a full week. 2 days will be devoted to orientation stuff (for civil engineering which is the dept i'm in), but that still leaves 5 other days that I'll be really bored.

Was wondering if I should move in a little bit later, such as the day before orientation (which are on Sept17-18th)

What do you guys plan on doing?

I'll be exploring various parts of the campus on my own, so I can figure out where my favorite studying, eating, and chill-out place(s) are and the most efficient ways to get to them... also catch up on some writing I've been meaning to do, just to procrastinate studying for the badass quals.

I don't go to Stanford, but I'm familiar with the campus (worked as a research assistant for a year). The only place I'd recommend to eat would be Thai Cafe. I'm not too fond of the other places on campus, aside from Clark. If you don't mind driving, downtown Mountain View on Castro is a pretty good place to eat. If you're from out of town, then I also suggest going to Downtown San Jose and eating at La Victoria's (don't forget the orange sauce with whatever you eat!!) or Iguana's.

And if by chance any of you guys play badminton, send me a pm.

do you guys think that bringing a car (and getting a $600 year long parking permit) is worth it for stanford? are there grocerie stores nearby that dont require a car? ill probably bring a bike for sure...

I suggest you just take advantage of public transportation to save money. You should get an eco pass for being a student.

I don't go to Stanford, but I'm familiar with the campus (worked as a research assistant for a year). The only place I'd recommend to eat would be Thai Cafe.

Apparently Thai Cafe is not going to be around fall and winter quarters this year...it had to switch rooms due to plans to install an fMRI magnet in the psych building. It will be pretty close to its previous location, but apparently it will take a while to re-open.

The Stanford Dining places are generally okay but not great. I sometimes eat at Olives (history corner of main quad), which is Mediterranean-themed. If you live on campus you'll probably be visiting The Axe & Palm, so you can form your own opinion. Some people dislike it, but I think it's fine.

Also, the Treehouse has inexpensive Mexican food and beer!

• 2 weeks later...

So is everyone moved in?

Any grad students buying a meal plan? I'm thinking about it, especially since my kitchen is pretty dirty and I don't have a dishwasher. I just don't want to be the only person eating alone. Is it possible to get the food to go so I can eat it at my apartment?

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use