Is it possible to apply to too many schools?

Dior99

I am applying to a highly competitive program in a very specialized field. I want the best possible chances of getting in this year as I am already a mature student (31) and am eager to get into my professional field of choice as soon as possible. So, I'm wondering, is there any downside to applying to a lot of schools? I've short-listed the possibilities to about 15 schools. Is it possible that I'm casting too wide a net?

I agree with WishfulThinker with the additional caveat that you'll need to put a great deal of time & effort into each one of those applications to make it worthwhile - that is, it's easier to submit very strong applications to 7-8 schools than to 15. But as long as you've done the research to know the programs are a good fit, and put in the time to polish and customize your admissions materials for each application, I don't think it's a waste.

I recommend doing the math before you start applying to make sure you've budgeted correctly. I used a spreadsheet, since the costs mount deceptively quickly if you figure in transcript fees, additional GRE score report fees, application fees, etc.

Good luck!

Is it possible, yes. Is it possible if you have other things to do with your life and want all 15 applications to be stellar, probably not. Is it better to submit 10 super-strong applications rather than 15 of varying quality? Probably. But it's a choice you have to make, not us.

• 2 weeks later...

I had planned on applying to 12 schools, but by app #7, I was suffering from application fatigue. I chugged through an additional two and chucked the remaining three. I'm sure apps #8 and #9 weren't as good. But, you have to be true to yourself. If 15 programs truly excite you, you'll take the necessary time. I think I ran into trouble b/c, like you, I was eager to get started BUT not all of the schools were great fits. The apps for "poor fit" schools were painful to complete. If I had only considered "good fit" schools, my list would've been half as long.

P.S. my rejections came, exclusively, from the schools that weren't good fits.

I've started on the applications ahead of time. I am planning to aim for the 10 - 15 range and it helps that the deadlines are a bit spread out too. 12/1, 12/15, 1/1, 1.15, it at least gives some breathing room during the process.

I am applying to 15 schools. Obviously, the more schools you apply to, the more work you must put into it. If you are willing to put in the work to make these applications "worthwhile," there is no reason to limit yourself. Though, I am glad my application deadlines are spaced out, so I can devote time accordingly. I did choose these 15 schools because they are all a good fit and are all places I would be excited to attend... as I think anything less is not worth the time or money. I say if you can handle the application process and would be happy with any of these schools, apply to as many as you like.

I was planning to apply to around 12 schools. When it came down to it, I worked hard on 7 applications and decided to stick with that. I think 15 is fine if on the higher edge. The only downside is the money and time/effort. It can get pricey really quickly.