HGSE Fall 2013

Coloradogirl

If an admission decision link exists (from a past applicant on here, *hint* *hint*), then perhaps we can change the # within the URL to the pin code we were given when we originally made our accounts. If that pin code now represents our student identification #, then maybe we could see our decision if it's already logged into the system.

I HIGHLY doubt it would work since the pin code is deemed to be "temporary." But, I will say that we did something very similar for the ACT a few years ago and it actually worked; that is, we were able to see our scores before we were technically able to.

Regardless of whether it works or not, we'd be doing HGSE a favor by testing for bugs. lolololol

P.S. Another # we could try in addition to the pin # is the "reference #" that's atop our application page. It, too, is a 9 digit # (this is the one Hodges is referring to in post #348).

I see no qualms in trying to "improve" the online system for HGSE. ;)..hehe.. (Ps. next year's applicants are gonna think we're either geniuses or desperate when they read this thread LOL)

Nicolemae- you never know, you guys might end up near each other. You have UCLA on your list. :)  I on the other hand, will be going back to the cold....sigh lol...

Edited by emg28

You get high marks in all things GradCafe, imo.

Thanks man! If only HGSE used GradCafe participation as a supplement. Oh, if only... :P

I refuse to review any of it for fear I'll see grammatical errors...I am very prone to grammatical errors, even after checking it over 10x at least. 5 days almost to the hour until we (hopefully) find out!

I'm the SAME way. I looked over it once more after submitting it and I found an Awkwardly Phrased Line, and I had multiple people looking over this thing, and of course I looked over it a thousand times before submitting it, and so I just made the ultimate *facepalm*

Pro Tip: Have your PIN written down! You'll need it to find out your admission decision. :)

Thanks, Airwick!

Thanks :) that is definitely comforting. I'm over it, I just get bummed out for a moment from time to time. My boyfriend and I were both really hoping for an acceptance, since it would mean we can finally maybe have a normal relationship without any time zone separations! Haha :mellow:  so it was more of a personal disappointment, I think. Ah well-- only a few more days of waiting, folks!

Awww :(. Well, you already have some great choices and you might have another one come Tuesday ;) . I know how terrible long distance can be. I am right there with you. Whatever is supposed to happen will happen. <3

Thanks :) that is definitely comforting. I'm over it, I just get bummed out for a moment from time to time. My boyfriend and I were both really hoping for an acceptance, since it would mean we can finally maybe have a normal relationship without any time zone separations! Haha :mellow:  so it was more of a personal disappointment, I think. Ah well-- only a few more days of waiting, folks!

Ouch. I definitely know how the long distance thing is.

My fiancee, who is a current sophomore in college, will be transferring with me up to Philly or Boston - whichever I wind up in. But, two and three years ago when she was a junior and senior in HS, I was a freshman and sophomore in college. We were only 1.5 hours apart, but it still sucked not seeing her for a whole week.

Ouch. I definitely know how the long distance thing is.

My fiancee, who is a current sophomore in college, will be transferring with me up to Philly or Boston - whichever I wind up in. But, two and three years ago when she was a junior and senior in HS, I was a freshman and sophomore in college. We were only 1.5 hours apart, but it still sucked not seeing her for a whole week.

It really does suck, I know. :( We've been dating for about 3.5 years and have spent about half that time two time zones away from each other (PST & CST). Hopefully the transition goes smoothly for the both of you! My boyfriend hasn't quite put a ring on it yet so he'll have to stay put for now ;) Haha.

I see no qualms in trying to "improve" the online system for HGSE. ;)..hehe.. (Ps. next year's applicants are gonna think we're either geniuses or desperate when they read this thread LOL)

Nicolemae- you never know, you guys might end up near each other. You have UCLA on your list. :)  I on the other hand, will be going back to the cold....sigh lol...

I am really trying to go back to the West Coast! :( I see you have automatically eliminated USC from your considerations, haha. Good call! ;) Unfortunately UCLA might not be too kind to me in terms of assistantship/internship prospects... bah, we'll see...

Ah, I apologize for the confusion. It was the number used for my application haha. Admission email from last year:

Dear Eric,

Your HGSE admissions decision is now available online.

(If you need your PIN and/or password, click on the Forgot your PIN or Password? or Technical Support link.)

Please note that you can access your decision at the bottom of the web page beneath the Application Status information.

Sincerely,

Maria Curcio, Ed.M. '99
Director of Admissions

Edited by Airwick

Am I the only one that's reread his/her SoP an incalculable times since submitting the app?

I found a run-on sentence in my SoP.  Somehow Vanderbilt still wanted me.  I can only hope HGSE is as generous.  

I found a run-on sentence in my SoP.  Somehow Vanderbilt still wanted me.  I can only hope HGSE is as generous.  

It's okay, I spelled "principal" wrong (spelled it "principle") in a paragraph talking about WHY I WANT TO BE A PRINCIPAL in my statement.  Ultimate facepalm.  Luckily I had only sent it to UT Austin and was able to submit an updated version...aka I didn't make the dumbest spelling error of my life.  They still let me in, so it was fine.  I just can't believe that of all the people that read it multiple times no one caught it.  

I've been out of town for the last week and a half (visiting Northwestern and other stuff I had to take care of) and haven't visited Gradcafe as religiously as I do when I'm home. Wow, I've missed so much! Now I see you guys are busy trying to hack into HGSE's admissions system  ;) Too good! I also see nothing wrong with "improving" their admissions procedures.  

I find it hard to believe that there's just a few more days left until we hear back from HGSE. It seemed like it was so far off back in January when I submitted my app and now it's almost here. I haven't been as focused on it as I normally am, but now that I'm back home and things are back to normal, I'm sure the nerves will amp up again. 

Hang in there, everyone! We're almost there!

It's okay, I spelled "principal" wrong (spelled it "principle") in a paragraph talking about WHY I WANT TO BE A PRINCIPAL in my statement.  Ultimate facepalm.  Luckily I had only sent it to UT Austin and was able to submit an updated version...aka I didn't make the dumbest spelling error of my life.  They still let me in, so it was fine.  I just can't believe that of all the people that read it multiple times no one caught it.  

Oh maaan! Well, your awesomeness just exuded from the essay so much that even the admissions folks didn't notice it! I feel the same way though about any awkward phrasing in my essay. Fingers crossed!

I've been out of town for the last week and a half (visiting Northwestern and other stuff I had to take care of) and haven't visited Gradcafe as religiously as I do when I'm home. Wow, I've missed so much! Now I see you guys are busy trying to hack into HGSE's admissions system  ;) Too good! I also see nothing wrong with "improving" their admissions procedures.  

I find it hard to believe that there's just a few more days left until we hear back from HGSE. It seemed like it was so far off back in January when I submitted my app and now it's almost here. I haven't been as focused on it as I normally am, but now that I'm back home and things are back to normal, I'm sure the nerves will amp up again. 

Hang in there, everyone! We're almost there!

Haha, welcome back, Loseric! I'm too scared to potentially hack into HGSE's admissions system, lol. I don't want to jinx anything. The admissions leprechauns will get me or something. ;) I agree that the decisions day seems terrifyingly close now. My little sister is visiting me this week so at least I have some fun company to distract me!

Hi guys,

I've been following this post for a while. I remember back in Feb someone mentioned that all our application checklist items are gone and only the application fee with a tick is visible. Is this still the case for everyone? 

I just logged in to check status (haven't done this for a while) and realized that all the items are back now (just like pre Feb). Just wish to confirm if you guys are seeing the same things...

#talk about anxious applicants#

Thanks

Yep, mine's the same. I think, anyway. And I also got that Financial Aid status email and almost flipped out. I'm at work in a quiet museum atm so flailing is (ALAS) out of the question.

And welcome, dodoeducation! What program did you apply for?

Edited by merrysoprano

I'm curious about this too... when you log in does it just have all the items with green check marks?  Before you click on your app does that status say submitted? or does it say complete?  I'm probably just overly anxious but curious what you guys see.

When I log in the status says Submitted 1/4/2013 and then on that page it just has green check marks for payment received, official gre scores, and my three recommenders.

What is this financial aid status e-mail y'all are talking about? Is it they have received your w-2s and such? I only ever got the e-mail a couple of weeks ago that said they had received my financial aid application and FAFSA. 

And additionally, was it ever stated explicitly that admissions is need-blind? 

When I log in the status says Submitted 1/4/2013 and then on that page it just has green check marks for payment received, official gre scores, and my three recommenders.   What is this financial aid status e-mail y'all are talking about? Is it they have received your w-2s and such? I only ever got the e-mail a couple of weeks ago that said they had received my financial aid application and FAFSA.    And additionally, was it ever stated explicitly that admissions is need-blind? 
It's mentioned on http://www.gse.harvard.edu/admissions/financial_aid/edm/index.html ...but I believe I saw the words "need blind" some where else....

I've heard it explicitly and seen it other places. Admissions is definitely need-blind.

I wonder if they have a needing-eye dog, though.

lol

LAME

But "lame" is okay in my book. You know, the international best seller...

Edited by CQE

I say, come decision day, we turn this into a gif thread by posting gifs to express our feelings regarding the decision.

And, if I happen to be rejected, I'll try to be the first reject that posts a gif (like the one below) to effectively say, "Yeah, I got rejected. But it's still a good day because I can muster a laugh!"

dawson_crying_gif.gif

I'm sure many rejects won't be posting, but seeing hilarious gifs expressing y'all's jubilation would make me feel better considering we've all developed some kind of mutual, GradCafer bond. lol. I just plan on it being a happy day, regardless of what decision comes my way. I'll just be thankful to finally know if I'll be in Philly or Boston!!!

Good lawd. I hate not knowing, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoWnIhDuW4g'?

So in preparation for graduate school (and the fact that I'm about to drop $1,000 on my car :angry: ), I've decided to take the 100 day scholarship challenge. One scholarship every day for 100 days. If I apply to 100, I've got to get at least one or two, right? Anyone want to join me?

Whoa. Tell me more about this challenge. You are a BAMF.

CQE, I am fully in favor of a gif thread. Also, the Grad Cafe bond is so awesome, you guys. I'm so happy I've found this place where all of us can go bonkers over this process together. It's been swell!