HGSE Fall 2013

Coloradogirl

Congrats ASzofer!

Nicolemae- Sorry you are having a cruddy vacation. If you are unable to move around too much and it is raining, maybe a nice cup of tea would make you feel better? When I lived in that part of the world I developed a serious tea-drinking habit, and it has followed me back to the States. It always cheers me up, especially if I have something good to read or something mindless to watch on T.V.

As hard as the past few months have been, it is almost over, for all of us. As soon as we have things finalized, we get to figure out all the fun parts: planning where we are going to live, picking our classes. We just need to stop running in circles until then (easier said than done I know).

HGSE did not close early today and the snow really started letting up around 2. It's relatively clear out there so maybe they want to stay late in hopes of missing some traffic. I did hear from someone who heard two years ago they generally separate the EDLD candidates decisions from the masters decisions so I'm not sure if all of those decisions have gone out yet. Perhaps they are focusing on that first before the rest of us.

Ahh... That gives a little more weight to the maybe-Tuesday theory, then. I didn't realize the EdLD decisions hadn't gone out yet. Ah well! In some ways I've just shrugged off the stress... But I'm also eating chocolate right now so maybe my outlook seems brighter. :)

HSGE?  Yeah... it's intense.  Plus living in Boston is way expensive...  (Don't mind me.  I'm talking my way out of Harvard before I even know if I'm in).  

Definitely take the funding at a school like Vandy, especially if you get into HGSE and have to pay full (or close to full) sticker. The *prestige* matters enough to take the debt if you're considering, say, Harvard Law vs. Vanderbilt Law since your job prospects in law (clerkships, biglaw firms, etc) are driven largely by the prestige of your law school. But as an education professional, you'll have just as many doors open for you coming from Vanderbilt as you would coming from Harvard. Congrats on getting funding at Vandy though. Avoiding debt should be near the top of every prospective graduate student's list, especially in this economy.

If anyone is worried about the tuition cost, take a look at these Loan Forgiveness Plans.  Assuming you go into public service (which of course includes teaching and any non-profit work) then your debt is forgiven after 10 years.  Couple that with Income Based Repayment (8% of income, i think) then a $100k loan turns into a $20-30k loan depending on your anual salary.  Good luck to all!

Public Service Loan Forgiveness
http://www.studentaid.ed.gov/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/charts/public-service

Income Based Repayment
http://www.ibrinfo.org/

IBR Calculator
http://www.ibrinfo.org/calculator.php

LITERALLY JUST GOT MINE TOO!

I'd already gotten confirmation my application was complete via email from rep I'd spoken to on the phone so I totally wasn't expecting the official, automated email and literally lurched when I opened my gmail just now! 

At least now I know how fast my heart will race when the real HGSE email comes!

Hey Folks

Soooooo I wasn't going to say anything because my news was bad news. But I just refreshed my application page and a link popped up that said  a change had been made to my status. Clicked it, and it took me to a very short and generic rejection letter. I still haven't gotten an email, but y'all might want to check your application pages.

Sincerely sending good vibes!!!

Thanks so much for the consolation, lbessmer! I couldn't even move up my flight since it costs so much. Apparently I may have a fracture in my foot! Luckily I'm staying right in the city, right next to the British Museum and all the action, so I shouldn't have to walk much. The tea has indeed been a huge comfort... That, plus the retail therapy, yikes. :P wish Her Majesty would grant this poor tourist a wheelchair...

I've been seeing pictures from Boston friends of all the snow that they've been getting... So I'm not TOO hopeful that it'll be today.

It's a yes :DDDDDDDDD 

BEST OF WISHES TO ALL THIS EVENING! To those with the same news as me, CAN"T WAIT to meet you guys soon! For those going elsewhere, here's to a common dream of a better educated world! 

Thank you ALL so much for the support and shared insanity this last week, I am absolutely sure I could not have handled the stress as well without it!!