HGSE Fall 2013

Coloradogirl

Sounds like a great problem to have ASzofer! 

Unrelated note: anyone sent in their taxes yet? I tried a week ago but couldn't get TaxAct to do it right. I need to find something that will allow me to just fill in a 1040EZ and submit online. 

I was running into problems with TaxAct where they kept trying to charge me. I ended up just downloading the 1040ez myself and I mailed it in. It only took 2 weeks until I got my refund.

Edited by Edugy

Yikes, that would be pushing it to get it back in time to get to HGSE by the 4th though. (Unless, as is quite possible, I have no understanding of what a "return" is. But I assume it's something the IRS sends back to me)

Yikes, that would be pushing it to get it back in time to get to HGSE by the 4th though. (Unless, as is quite possible, I have no understanding of what a "return" is. But I assume it's something the IRS sends back to me)
The tax return is the paperwork you fill out based on the documents you've received from banks, schools, employers, etc, so no need to wait for something to come back - the IRS won't send anything unless its an audit or a refund

Gotcha. Thanks. You see, I majored in Philosophy and am as such utterly unprepared to deal with any real-life situation like taxes or financial aid, etc. Well, I know what I'll be doing this weekend.

Edited by m26

I used taxhawk. Federal returns are free, and if you make less than $20,000 a year (for all you students out there), then state returns are free also. Really easy to use. A friend told me about it this year.

Sounds like a great problem to have ASzofer! 

Unrelated note: anyone sent in their taxes yet? I tried a week ago but couldn't get TaxAct to do it right. I need to find something that will allow me to just fill in a 1040EZ and submit online. 

I submitted my 1040A for free with HR Block last week and am just waiting for it go through with the IRS so I can update my FAFSA with the auto-import. 

I ended up doing TaxHawk. I do a ton of cash transactions and it was really easy to just fill in total income minus total expenses. Maybe I was doing it wrong with TaxAct but it just didn't seem to want to work.

On the bright side: at least we're done with taxes well before April 15. :)

Possibly only one week to go for HGSE! Gulp. 

This will be my first year ever being done with taxes before the absolute last minute.  Unfortunately, I owe money, so this is not fun or exciting at all.  

As I'm finishing putting together my 40 pages worth of 1040s, W-2s, and multiple 1099s for HGSE (my taxes are complicated), I started wondering why they need this information. I mean, honestly, is this their version of verification? I mean, what financial aid office really wants all this information for students who haven't even been admitted? They don't even want official transcripts until later.

*end rant*

Forgot to put a copy of my W-2 and other tax forms in with my tax return when I sent them the other day -- looks like another piece of mail is going out tomorrow.

none...but if i'd guess, i'd say next week is the week. :o best of luck!! see some of you soon!<3

If you hear anything, report back to 'quarters IMMEDIATELY!  :P 

jk jk

But yeah, hopefully so. I do not want to have another test in my way while I have HGSE on my mind.

Until next week (or the week after...or the week after that :blink: ), I'll just be sitting, waiting, wishing...like mah b0i, Jack Johnson.

Just got rejected from Stanford (not surprising as I sort of half-assed the application and definitely like Vandy more).  I assume that means HSGE is just a few moments (or days) away... right?  

Just got rejected from Stanford (not surprising as I sort of half-assed the application and definitely like Vandy more).  I assume that means HSGE is just a few moments (or days) away... right?  

Same here, unfortunately, I think we have a week left. My Stanford application wasn't that strong. It was mostly my HGSE app, but not as convincing. I'm really hoping to hear better news from HGSE.

Edited by Edugy

Haha, I luckily avoided the Stanford bullet. I realized at the last minute that the essay was 2 pages single-spaced and that I didn't have enough, so I decided not to waste my $125. 

I predict next Tuesday at 6pm. I've been pretty close so far with my predictions so I hope it will be around that time. I have jury duty that day though so I'll either be on my phone like crazy or unable to check it at all for the entire day...

Same here, unfortunately, I think we have a week left. My Stanford application wasn't that strong. It was mostly my HGSE app, but not as convincing. I'm really hoping to hear better news from HGSE.

I'm also guilty of half-assing my Stanford app and putting more time into HGSE's. Stanford's app was not only LONG but painful to navigate. It's probably why I held off from applying till the last minute. I just wish I had my $125 back lol...It would go into my HGSE deposit fund lol. 

Hoping for better news next week. Anyone know if they call you or email you?