HGSE Fall 2013

Coloradogirl

ok now what is a graduate wardrobe???!!! coz that's a whole new investment! and a vry imp one for a girl!
Lol.. I think of a graduate wardrobe as business casual goes to school, with the exception of school gear of course. Nice tops, sweaters, scarfs...etc. The schools I visited, Michigan and HGSE, as a prospective student, had stufents who looked well put together.

Ok, here's a question: how do you dress for the cold and do business casual? I'm picturing only being able to wear a sweater dress with really thick tights and leather boots, scarves, or a sweater over a long sleeve shirt with pants. Is that accurate? Can you actually stay warm without wearing jeans?

Ok, here's a question: how do you dress for the cold and do business casual? I'm picturing only being able to wear a sweater dress with really thick tights and leather boots, scarves, or a sweater over a long sleeve shirt with pants. Is that accurate? Can you actually stay warm without wearing jeans?

It's very possible. Layering is a great thing, especially in Massachusetts. I wear dress pants every day, and I am very warm. However, I also have a very warm coat (for the outdoors). Heating is going to be your best friend in the northeastern states. I do wear flats in the winter, but I'm used to the weather. If I wear sweaters, I wear them over short-sleeved shirts. You can  wear long sleeved shirts alone. You can stay very warm without jeans; do not worry! 

Edited by sshopeful

It's very possible. Layering is a great thing, especially in Massachusetts. I wear dress pants every day, and I am very warm. However, I also have a very warm coat (for the outdoors). Heating is going to be your best friend in the northeastern states. I do wear flats in the winter, but I'm used to the weather. If I wear sweaters, I wear them over short-sleeved shirts. You can  wear long sleeved shirts alone. You can stay very warm without jeans; do not worry! 

Thank you so much for your advice. Sadly, weather was starting to play a bigger role than it should in the decision process.

Lol.. I think of a graduate wardrobe as business casual goes to school, with the exception of school gear of course. Nice tops, sweaters, scarfs...etc. The schools I visited, Michigan and HGSE, as a prospective student, had stufents who looked well put together.

Aaah.....so cant be shabby anymore huh? mannn!! do they give out scholarships to buy clothes.. coz here in india, it's really warm and ill have to do up a whole new wardrobe if i head there.....:/

Man... the Coop bookstore is just amazing. It's like a department store... I went to a pretty tiny college for undergrad and while our bookstore had the owner's dogs, it was tiny! Every time I go into the Coop my mind is just blown.

I will say in terms of wardrobe that I've found a few fabulous blogs that have inspired me... some people pull crazy tricks to keep out the cold and still look swanky! Layered tights, layered dresses, layered anything. I have also heard that silk long-johns layered under pants work wonders to keep out the cold. Wardrobe witchcraft!

And cozy bookstore sweatshirts help too. :D

I imagine that a nice warm thermos of tea or coffee is obligatory for warmth.

Anyway, people: it's Monday of what might be the week! Ahhhh! I just want to know! Want to get those ducks in a row.

Haha, sorry to keep rambling about clothes... staying warm and cozy and fabulous are all important things though. ;)

Edited by merrysoprano

Oh wow! Thailand and India. I wish I had the opportunity to do that! Maybe next year for me and my fiancee's honeymoon? Muahahaha. I wish.

Speaking of places to visit, I'd love to see Dubai one day. That place looks straight out of a Sci-Fi  movie...and I'm not talking the crap ones on the SyFy channel, LOL.

I totally know how you feel about Vandy & HGSE, though. I'm in the same boat, but my "girlfriend #2" is Penn instead of Vandy.

Wakka, wakka, wakka. In two days, we'll both know (hopefully)!

I have a good friend who is staying in the UAE right now and he gets around to Abu Dhabi and Dubai a lot. They're crazy and fun cities.  I think Dubai, tangentially, has one of the world's only remaining Borders bookstores. I mourn Borders, so when I saw a picture of one on his travel blog, I immediately asked when I could visit... and then he got mad that Borders was the thing to bring me out there. :P

vincehoward, we're crossing our fingers that tomorrow is the day from past HGSE threads. Historically, the first Tuesday in March is when folks have found out (give or take). So we don't know officially, but it's our best guess. :)

Count me in as another one who will have to buy a new wardrobe! I feel silly saying this, but I actually bought my first grown up coat and boots this year and they have been incredibly handy on these grad school visits! I've been making progress on that front at least. :)

Merrysoprano, I'm another big fan of the Coop. I was pretty spoiled by my undergraduate university's bookstore (4 floors of literary goodness!) but the Coop is just so cozy. (Well, maybe not the actual textbooks section - that part is kind of dumpy.) But the rest of the store, wow. I just love those windows they have overlooking Harvard Square. I could easily see myself holing up there during finals week...fingers crossed!

Edited by Loseric

Please let it be this week! PLEASE! 

I am a 12 hour time difference ahead of the US and I am sure that I will end up waking up every two hours each night to refresh my inbox.

P.S. I haven't posted much here but reading this thread obsessively has helped me get through the last few weeks. Love to all Grad Cafe-ers! :)

Well everyone, since the big day is tomorrow, how will you be spending today (aka, the last day of pre-HGSE admissions knowledge)? I'm going to try and distract myself with work as much as possible and hope the day goes by quickly. I have this big knot in my stomach already that just won't go away!

And considering we have it narrowed down to tomorrow...would any current students like to tell us what time they got "the email" so we can (hopefully) narrow down the window even more? :rolleyes:

Edited by Loseric

I applied to the School Leadership program (did 2 years TFA in Memphis and have been at the same school for an additional 2 years).  I plan on spending today and tomorrow getting everything ready for the week after Spring Break (which is next week for us). It'll get me a head start on my work so I can relax during Spring Break and will keep me super busy today and tomorrow. We also have a few teachers out today due to sickness, and since we are a charter school we do internal coverage instead of subs, so I am also covering two classes today - that will definitely keep me busy!

Today I'm going to wait to hear back from another school (although regardless of tomorrow I will most likely still not be going here) so refreshing a web page is in my sights for the next 36+ hours.  I don't know why I'm so obsessed but I guess it is the not knowing which is intriguing.  Another day of distracting me from work.  Last week, I had to set my alarm to only check gradcafe and email every two hours so I could actually focus on work, uhoh.  I'm sure I will be very productive after March 15th :)

I lived in MA for 21 years. It does get cold, but you don't have to look the Michelin tire man every time you go outside. All you need are a good coat and a good pair of boots. Ladies, if you don't want to wear pants, wear a warm pair of stockings, you will be in good company with many of the female citizens of Boston. I have never worn long johns under my clothes, but when it is really cold I will put on an extra warm pair of socks. If you do end up moving to Boston, keep in mind that heating in the winter can be expensive. If you have a choice between a place where the heat is included and where it is not, go with the former.

As for ways to distract myself, I have been scheduling climbing trips during stressful weeks. My theory is, if I am nervous about climbing a new route, I will be too consumed to be anxious about schools.

Well everyone, since the big day is tomorrow, how will you be spending today (aka, the last day of pre-HGSE admissions knowledge)? I'm going to try and distract myself with work as much as possible and hope the day goes by quickly. I have this big knot in my stomach already that just won't go away!

And considering we have it narrowed down to tomorrow...would any current students like to tell us what time they got "the email" so we can (hopefully) narrow down the window even more? :rolleyes:

I don't have work today and my little sister is visiting while she's on spring break, so that's a fun distraction! I think maybe I'll do some baking or something this afternoon to destress. Baking is great for that. :)

I lived in MA for 21 years. It does get cold, but you don't have to look the Michelin tire man every time you go outside. All you need are a good coat and a good pair of boots. Ladies, if you don't want to wear pants, wear a warm pair of stockings, you will be in good company with many of the female citizens of Boston. I have never worn long johns under my clothes, but when it is really cold I will put on an extra warm pair of socks. If you do end up moving to Boston, keep in mind that heating in the winter can be expensive. If you have a choice between a place where the heat is included and where it is not, go with the former.

As for ways to distract myself, I have been scheduling climbing trips during stressful weeks. My theory is, if I am nervous about climbing a new route, I will be too consumed to be anxious about schools.

This is great to know! Thank you. :)

Has anybody heard about TC decision dates? I saw an earlier post that said one year HGSE and TC released decisions within days of each other, but not sure if this is true historically?

I think TC releases theirs in more of a rolling fashion; check out the TC thread! I think decisions have been trickling in - but I might be totally wrong on this.

I work 7:30am-4:00 pm today and tomorrow so hopefully that will keep my busy enough.

What I'm worried about is sleeping...I barely slept last night I was too nervous, and I anticipate that tonight will be worse. I'm trying not to drink any coffee after noon today and then I'm going to go workout at the gym so I hopefully I can tire myself out enough that I'll actually get sleep hahaha.

And that being said, if we do not hear tomorrow I'm going to be so disappointed! I have been telling myself "just get yourself to March 5th and then you'll know". 

Fingers crossed for everyone!

I've been drinking my worries away with friends trying to avoid the inevitable this week lol...

When I worked in Boston, I wore long johns a couple of times under my dress pants. But took them off once I arrived at work because most buildings have the heater cranked up. Just make sure to invest in a nice coat and boots. I bought a parka from northface and love it! Worth the investment. :)

Let's all try not to refresh our emails 90+ times today.....READY! SET!....GO! :D

Has anybody heard about TC decision dates? I saw an earlier post that said one year HGSE and TC released decisions within days of each other, but not sure if this is true historically?

TC Next Step website says this: 

"Early Deadline: Applicants that met the early deadline for our programs that begin in the fall can expect to receive an admission decision via email around the middle-to-end of March."

Whether it's done in a mass blast or a rolling trickle, got me coach! I'm not particularly placing my bets on hearing from them tomorrow or anytime until later in the month, given that their application deadline was after HGSEs.....and Penn is on week six with my application and I still haven't heard a peep so I'm waxing cynical........

Though I don't post much, it has made me feel a lot better reading this thread while we wait for decisions!

As far as distracting myself, I'm having dinner with a friend and a film crew from Harvard tonight. They are visiting to do a follow-up interview on the friend who graduated from HKS. I'm not sure if this will distract me from thinking about tomorrow or make me more obsessive :) Though tomorrow I'll be very busy since we have an extended school day plus the film crew is coming to observe my class and hopefully get some shots for the interview.

Good luck everyone!! :)