HGSE Fall 2013

Coloradogirl

Oh the waiting Game..... I'm looking in to the Ed.L.D as well. Early to mid-Feb is when we hear about interviews. Has anyone that has been on the forum been admitted since the first Cohort?
Ignore my last post! Good to know there are 3 of us on here!

While our admissions process is highly selective, it is also personalized, comprehensive, and fair. There is no single formula or criterion for admission. What the Ed School looks for are students with a passion for education, diverse life and work experiences, and a deep commitment to making an impact in the world—as educators, researchers, policymakers, and service-minded leaders of character and integrity. Read more: http://www.gse.harvard.edu/admissions/apply/#ixzz2HRzqf86A I can't count how mant times I've read this paragraph! Ugh!

• 2 weeks later...

Day 1 of the waiting game begins! Happy HGSE games, may the odds be ever in your favor! 

I've read that the acceptance rates for Ed. M in EPM is about 50/50 - has anyone heard otherwise? 

Also, for those that expressed concern over SOP length, my SOP ended up being around 1800 words - I was an international relations major in my undergrad so it took a little while to explain how I ended up in domestic education policy. I called the admissions office about it and was told they absolutely won't be checking word counts, as long as your essay doesn't appear alarming long (the example the admissions officer used was "don't send us something that's 10 pages long") you should be fine. Hopefully, the person reading my essay agrees........

Hey! I'm currently in the EPM program. Gosh I remember when I was on here last year like it was yesterday. I too heard the acceptance rate was 50/50 so you have good odds! 

Does anyone know the acceptance rate for the Master's program in Higher Education?  I love the blog on the main page right now about "One of us is right."  One minute I feel really confident and then the next I'm worried.  Who knew the waiting part was going to be the hardest part about this application process!

Hey! I'm currently in the EPM program. Gosh I remember when I was on here last year like it was yesterday. I too heard the acceptance rate was 50/50 so you have good odds! 

That acceptance rate definitely relieves me a bit... thank you!!! Hope you're enjoying the EPM program! Any pros&cons/advice to offer us?

Has anyone who has applied to Masters programs heard back yet? I feel like it's about time, but I suppose PhDs are still hearing back...

Here is another quick question - how many of you out there are filling out the financial aid forms and FAFSA, due Feb 4???

Yep, sure am. Had to guess on my income though because I haven't received my W2 yet.

Here is another quick question - how many of you out there are filling out the financial aid forms and FAFSA, due Feb 4???

Just sent my financial aid in today. I'm imagining that most people are going to send in the financial aid forms, they say that the average debt of a M.Ed student is $43,347.

According to their website, you're fine if it's in the 4th. My taxes will in no way be complete so I just used estimated information. Once I finish taxes (sometime before we have to send in the 1040s and W-2s), I'll edit it and use the data retrieval tool. I hate that HGSE wants all of this.. none of my other schools had anything other than the scholarship portion that was already included in the admissions application.

Thank you! I don't know why I thought I had until March 4th, but I see that's only for tax info! I'm so glad I read this!

If I am applying to a doctoral program and only want the support they offer, I do not need to apply, correct???I am debating as I really do not want to accrue more student loans.... finally have my loans from my previous degrees down to manageable amounts....

According to their website, you're fine if it's in the 4th. My taxes will in no way be complete so I just used estimated information. Once I finish taxes (sometime before we have to send in the 1040s and W-2s), I'll edit it and use the data retrieval tool. I hate that HGSE wants all of this.. none of my other schools had anything other than the scholarship portion that was already included in the admissions application.

Hey everyone! Make sure you carefully look over the restricted scholarships! Definitely worth the application. They don't have values assigned but some of them can be quite large

If I am applying to a doctoral program and only want the support they offer, I do not need to apply, correct???I am debating as I really do not want to accrue more student loans.... finally have my loans from my previous degrees down to manageable amounts....

You DEFINATELY need to submit the financial aid application in order to be fully funded. They fund all doctoral candidates, but you need to submit the form. 

Hey everyone! Make sure you carefully look over the restricted scholarships! Definitely worth the application. They don't have values assigned but some of them can be quite large

I wish I could, but, unfortunately, it doesn't look as though I'm eligible for any of them. :(

For what it's worth, I'd be an incoming M.Ed. student from Alabama, with no past ties to Harvard in any way. So, if I'm wrong regarding my eligibility, please let me know ASAP!

Edited by CQE

I wish I could, but, unfortunately, it doesn't look as though I'm eligible for any of them. :(

For what it's worth, I'd be an incoming M.Ed. student from Alabama, with no past ties to Harvard in any way. So, if I'm wrong regarding my eligibility, please let me know ASAP!

I don't remember all of the states. But, I qualified because I earned my BA at a school in Florida. There was a list of a bunch of southern states. Just don't remember if Alabama was one of them.

GRE Score: V 153, Q 151 AWA: 4.5
GPA: Graduate 3.9
Work Experience: 9 years teaching in a private high school, 3 years corporate sales, and 5 years non-profit
Undergrad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): Public
Research Experience: General research pertaining to my Master's degree, nothing published.
Applying for PhD or Masters: Ed.L.D., Fall 2013
Program: Education Leadership
What Other Schools Are You Applying To: None.

You DEFINATELY need to submit the financial aid application in order to be fully funded. They fund all doctoral candidates, but you need to submit the form. 

I just went to their website, and apparently you do NOT need to apply for aid (EdLD) unless you need more than the funding they offer to everyone.  This is from the site:

If you are admitted to the Ed.L.D. program you will receive a full tuition and student health fee funding package, plus a combination of stipend and/or campus-based work opportunities for years one and two, and a paid residency in the third year.  Stipends are paid to you in monthly installments during the academic year so be sure to plan your budget accordingly.  In your third year you will undertake a paid residency with a partner organization.

Remember, the fellowship aid you receive in this program covers only your individual student tuition and health fees.  If you have a family additional planning is necessary.  Although you don't need to apply for financial aid to receive the Ed.L.D. fellowship funding we can help if you need to borrow federal loans to help pay for dependent care costs such as health insurance or child care. 

Read more: http://www.gse.harvard.edu/admissions/financial_aid/edld/index.html#ixzz2JP2MsCsM

I don't remember all of the states. But, I qualified because I earned my BA at a school in Florida. There was a list of a bunch of southern states. Just don't remember if Alabama was one of them.
I did that one too!

I just went to their website, and apparently you do NOT need to apply for aid (EdLD) unless you need more than the funding they offer to everyone.  This is from the site:
You only have to apply if you don't get into the EDLD and chose the option to be considered for an EDM..

Hello! I've applied for the TIE Ed. M. Now there's nothing left to do but to twiddle my thumbs and obsessively wait for March. :)

I was wondering if anyone out there has any information on HGSE's funding for international students. 

I have been admitted as a PhD student elsewhere and am waiting for the Harvard decisions to go out. How do people feel about potentially being part of the last EdD class at Harvard? Is the degree change affecting your opinions of Harvard, or is the school's reputation and quality enough to keep it at the top of your lists?