HGSE Fall 2013

Coloradogirl

Yeah. During the application process, the GRE prep felt the most stressful because it was the most quantifiable part of each application. I know that's the point of the GRE. :P

But it's stressful compared to the more qualitative essay/talking with your recommenders/visiting campus to see if you're a good fit/working on your resume or C.V. etc. Those let you express yourself, after all. Of course, now that everything's been in, I'm more stressed about those qualitative things... am I quality enough, HGSE? huh, huh?

Oh, lord, yeah. I started prepping my essay about a month and a half before the deadline (and already had 2 versions for other schools done), worked around the clock the week it was due, and still went to bed the night before it was due with literally not a single word on the page. I was so stressed. Ended up writing the entire thing on the 4th. 

So now I'm worrying my butt off about that, my recommendations, my resume, my "fit." Everything.  :( I really threw everything together at the last minute because I had no idea I was going to do this in October. I'm actually a much better candidate now than I was even a month ago, so I'm really worried about it. Plus I keep stupidly perusing the GSE website, finding out awesome things like their Innovation Lab, and praying I didn't blow it by being behind the 8 ball. Oh, and I figured out how to use the results search. Found out my numbers twin got rejected last year. So I'm fairly disheartened. 

I'm also wishing I'd studied for the GRE. I was busy and wasn't thinking I'd be applying for any seriously competitive programs so I didn't do any prep. I know my qualitative stuff is probably weak, so I wish I put more effort into the quantitative factors. Oh well. Too late now.

I'm in the exact same boat m26.  I didn't study at all for it--was too busy teaching.  I just thought I would take it to see how I would do.  Opened the prep book in the parking lot about a half an hour before the test.  Also didn't do my research or start my SOP until after fall break.  I had intended to wait a year to apply to grad schools, then after reflecting over fall break decided I'm ready to learn NOW.  But I feel so behind, and like I did not at all put my best foot forward!  I like to be more prepared than this!

Yeah. During the application process, the GRE prep felt the most stressful because it was the most quantifiable part of each application. I know that's the point of the GRE. :P

But it's stressful compared to the more qualitative essay/talking with your recommenders/visiting campus to see if you're a good fit/working on your resume or C.V. etc. Those let you express yourself, after all. Of course, now that everything's been in, I'm more stressed about those qualitative things... am I quality enough, HGSE? huh, huh?

I keep wandering into admissions threads for other fields (I like reading about acceptances!), and I feel exactly the same now, merrysoprano.

Does my SOP make me seem like a strong, interesting candidate or like someone who isn't a good fit? Should I have found ways to pump up my CV more, and did I forget to mention any of my relevant experience? What if they don't like me due to some little thing I included, omitted, or, worse, something completely out of my control like a comment in an LOR? Argh!

I'm an atheist, but I think I'm going to tell myself to let go and let God for the rest of this process. :)

I think you guys are worrying too much about your GRE scores. From what I gather, HGSE just wants to make sure you can do the work, so your SOP and previous experiences would be much more important for the M.Ed program.

Yeah exactly. Those were my weakest points, so I really wish I'd nailed the GRE. When the strongest part of your application is the least important part, it's time to worry lol.

Yeah exactly. Those were my weakest points, so I really wish I'd nailed the GRE. When the strongest part of your application is the least important part, it's time to worry lol.

m26, you have an amazing GRE Verbal and a really solid AWA, along with a respectable Q.  I think your GRE score is more than fine.  Not sure what specific program you said you're applying to, but I don't imagine those numbers will do anything but help you.  I'd say a 169 Verbal is nailing it :)  

I have found it interesting to watch the results page and look at people's numbers for different programs.  Engineers and math majors always have really high Q scores and low AWA, Edu people and English people obviously have the opposite.  But what I've found most interesting is that most of the people who are the top across the board are in really random programs like philosophy PhDs.   Just my observation over the past few days.    GAH why isn't is March??? 

52% according to US News. Everyone on here looks really competitive. I think we'd make a good cohort-within-a-cohort. :)  

I agree! Maybe I'm being silly and optimistic, but I was thinking how nice it would be if most of us got in and could have a meetup at HGSE's preview weekend. Grad Cafers IRL!

As a followup to that sentiment, obviously we all want to get in, but if you got in - how definite would you all be on attending? HGSE isn't cheap, and I know loans/debt are a huge consideration for most of us. Would you find a way no matter what or would you go to another school if they gave you better aid/fellowships/etc.?

Look at the petersons break down for even more specific data.

I've seen the US News stats, but where's the Peterson's break down?

http://www.petersons.com/graduate-schools/harvard-university-graduate-school-of-education-masters-programs-in-education-000_10035777.aspx 

Guess not about more specific data, but for those applying to schools such as BC and NYU, it might help to look at the break downs of departments there. 

I would sell my left arm on ebay to go to HSGE.    

(OK, that's a bit dramatic, but yes, it's worth the loans.) Hell, I'm very very seriously considering Vanderbilt which is a two year program, so double the loans, and even though it's an amazing program, it doesn't carry the name weight of Harvard.  I mean, it's Harvard.  

Hey ASzofer, here is my question.

I am also considering Vanderbilt (well, really I am still considering everywhere, I am having a ridiculous amount of trouble narrowing down to one program.) On the Vandy website, they list tuition by credit, and not by year. Am I wrong to think that this means that the price of their two year program would not be much more expensive than Harvard, especially when their financial aid opportunities are considered? I could be 100% off base, but that is what I am telling myself.

On a completely unrelated note, has anyone heard anything back from Berkeley?

(OK, that's a bit dramatic, but yes, it's worth the loans.) Hell, I'm very very seriously considering Vanderbilt which is a two year program, so double the loans, and even though it's an amazing program, it doesn't carry the name weight of Harvard.  I mean, it's Harvard.  

I already sold my right leg.

If HGSE doesn't work out, at least I could (hopefully) get a job at IHOP.

...har...har... lol

Edited by CQE

As a followup to that sentiment, obviously we all want to get in, but if you got in - how definite would you all be on attending? HGSE isn't cheap, and I know loans/debt are a huge consideration for most of us. Would you find a way no matter what or would you go to another school if they gave you better aid/fellowships/etc.?

100% going, no questions asked. Trying to research my other schools more to reduce my enthusiasm gap at the moment lol.

Hey ASzofer, here is my question.

I am also considering Vanderbilt (well, really I am still considering everywhere, I am having a ridiculous amount of trouble narrowing down to one program.) On the Vandy website, they list tuition by credit, and not by year. Am I wrong to think that this means that the price of their two year program would not be much more expensive than Harvard, especially when their financial aid opportunities are considered? I could be 100% off base, but that is what I am telling myself.

On a completely unrelated note, has anyone heard anything back from Berkeley?

Shameless plug for Vanderbilt -- Peabody has these really awesome Office of the Dean assistantships. Not sure if they publicize these to entering students prior to committing, but it's a deal where you work on campus and they exempt you from tuition... or exempt you from 2/3 of tuition and then give you a living stipend.

Since I'm already on the campus & have a network w/professors, Vanderbilt is financially a lot easier for me to afford than any other schools I applied to... I can potentially graduate loan-free! But just saying that they do offer you some options for financing. I wish I were accepted (they haven't gotten back to me yet).

I already sold my right leg.   If HGSE doesn't work out, at least I could (hopefully) get a job at IHOP.   ...har...har... lol
Lol I needed that laugh! I'm almost 100% sure I will go if I get deferred to the EdM, but it will be interesting to see what aid is offered!

Lol I needed that laugh! I'm almost 100% sure I will go if I get deferred to the EdM, but it will be interesting to see what aid is offered!

Last year it seems a lot of Grad Cafe folks were disappointed with aid packages, and if I recall the financial aid office is pretty up front about that with the average post-HGSE loan debt being in the tens of thousands. I know they offer some work study that is somehow based on previous debt burden/available funds/etc from what I recall reading in my financial aid info from last year. I think they also offer around a dozen half tuition/fee scholarships (I think the idea is one for each program), and then of course the restricted scholarships.

Edited by DanMcD

I am prepared for the Mountain o' Loans. I wish my last name was Skywalker so I could have qualified for all those Jedi restricted scholarships...

I'm with you on the loans. I'm lucky enough to have no debt from undergrad and some money saved up... But yes, I would definitely pay full price for Harvard. Please accept me? 3 more weeks!!!