The First Rejection...

GirlattheHelm

Well, I hate to say it but I got what I wanted. I was rejected from Binghamton University and had a feeling that was coming. I was griping about where I didn't really want to go and that was that. Denied!

Granted, I wasn't expecting to feel quite as bad since I didn't particularly 'feel' going there. My boss had an 'in' but how far 'in' that was wasn't close enough... Maybe it's just the estrogen but I felt this was a safety-net on some level. And it's broken. That, I suppose is upsetting.

I've given up on UMass Amherst as well; but I'll wait for my snail-mail coffin nail before I make it official.

Since I'm all out, any words of wisdom, folks?

:oops:

Hey Girl,

I know it must suck but you have five other chances...you are bound to get in somewhere...let your frustrations out on this forum...it will make you feel better....i'm sure it won't be long till you hear about acceptances...crossing my fingers for you!

Aw, I'm sorry to hear this! At least it was the bottom of your list, not the top. If it makes you feel better, I grew up near Binghamton, and although their anthro department is very good, so I'm sure it was competitive, you're really not missing out by not going to live there for 5 years or more. Cornell or Vermont would be better, so I'm rooting for you to get into those! And you have a lot going for your application, I'm sure there will be better news to come.

I got my first rejection today too...

and although it was from a school i wasn't planning on going to anyways, it still stung...

anyways, i dealt with it by eating a huge piece of lemon cake and had a glass a wine- followed by watching the bachelor finale.

what can you do at this point, eh?

Thanks you, folks. This board makes the sting a whole hell of a lot easier; I mean, at least we're not alone on the path towards Graduate school.

I never anticipated my reaction - I suppose that's what this is all about. I was crushed for some reason... and it's not a huge deal but, because of not having any acceptances anywhere this is a tight run.

Granted, one of my friends quickly came up to the plate and we went for drinks - hot chocolate to be specific, with an enormous amount of whipped cream. I'm saving the Bailey's for my celebration hot chocolate, though.

Here's hoping on remaining maybes :!:

I got my first rejection letter this weekend. It certainly wasn't my first choice but it has left me anxious as to what the grounds for rejection were. I find myself worrying now, is my GPA high enough? Have my GRE's let me down? If anything though im more worried about my LOR's. I asked them for some feedback but haven't received any and I doubt I will. I started wondering at first whether it was better to not hear from the places ive applied but I worry now that its a sign they are processing rejection letters and just waiting to get to mine. I want to email and inquire but I feel like there is nothing I can do. It is frustrating but I fully understand how you feel. You just have to make sure to remember that this is historically a bad time to be applying and you WILL have success. Take care and dont freak out too much.

You were just too awesome for Binghamton! Just like I was too awesome for many, many schools... :D

You are still waiting on several schools that are bound to be better fits. I had received a rejection and several de-facto rejections, including one from the school I'm doing my Masters at. I dealt with it by doing one really fun thing every day, to make sure I had some me-time (away from the forum!) and was laughing and having a good time. Looks like you're on the right path with the cocoa!

Good luck!

I'm sorry that your first reply was a rejection. Even if it was your reach, even if it was the school you only applied to because they had a cheap application fee and one more couldn't hurt, even if you would never want to live in that state but applied just to see if you'd get in, it still SUCKS. A small part of you believed that every application you filled out would be returned with a smiley face, and now that part just died.

Now a dark cloud has been put over the rest of your applications, but there are two things you can do about it; mope and moan and gnash your teeth (always loved that phrase), or get serious about your plan B and realize that, even being a great student, you can fall through the cracks of graduate school apps and have to hang back for a year. And that's not the end of the world.

I admit that I had no Plan B until that first rejection letter arrived. Three more rejection letters later I have Plans B, C, and D armed and ready in case things go south. Of course I don't want to enact any but my Plan A, but having a backup means that it's not life or death in every email, letter, and phone call. It's given me perspective, and I hope it provides some sort of comfort for you as well.

I admit that I had no Plan B until that first rejection letter arrived. Three more rejection letters later I have Plans B, C, and D armed and ready in case things go south. Of course I don't want to enact any but my Plan A, but having a backup means that it's not life or death in every email, letter, and phone call. It's given me perspective, and I hope it provides some sort of comfort for you as well.

I have a "Plan B" since my boss made sure to growl at me that I'm not going anywhere until invited. Several backup plans were made after that scary pontification.

So, I've had a list of backup plans since I started this process and on some level it feeling that my pessimism was right is going to haunt me. Sure, I love the farm and whatnot but I am horrified at the thought of plateauing ... there. To go back would crush me after all I've done; and I pretty much resigned it would take awhile before I was willing to do this all over again (financially and mentally).

But I'll wait before resigning to that death toll; hopefully some institution will see light hanging over my application or some other divine sensation from Providence. You know... guiding them to accept me; minus horrible GRE scores. Or, well, yeah...

Plan B.

Don't worry!! You're in great company - I have only gotten rejections - at two of my backups especially. :lol:

Sometimes its the size of the program, or wierd little things like: they let too many people in last year and so have to scale back.

Sometimes, at least in my case, you mischoose my backups. ( :roll: okay, so what if "mischoose" isn't a word? Setzen Sie sich, grammar nazis!)

Either way, there's still more than half to go!

I was just wondering if anyone keeps their letters of rejection?

I do, I have them filed away with all my other grad school app. stuff... I get them out and look at them whenever I feel like I'm in another dimension...when I feel like I'm not really sure if I applied to grad school, much less gotten any replies back from said grad schools.... The Twilight Zone!!! :lol:

Maybe I'm just masochistic?

Hey Girl,

I kind of think a lack of enthusiasm shows on those apps, if you expose them to ultra violet light. I see alot of people on these boards reporting not getting into safety schools, then posting, "hey, how'd I get into top 10 school #X if safety #Y rejected me?"

And don't forget, getting passed up in this year of budget hardship means you can sit out the crisis doing something crazy, like teach english in Greece!

Well, I hate to say it but I got what I wanted. I was rejected from Binghamton University and had a feeling that was coming. I was griping about where I didn't really want to go and that was that. Denied!

Granted, I wasn't expecting to feel quite as bad since I didn't particularly 'feel' going there. My boss had an 'in' but how far 'in' that was wasn't close enough... Maybe it's just the estrogen but I felt this was a safety-net on some level. And it's broken. That, I suppose is upsetting.

I've given up on UMass Amherst as well; but I'll wait for my snail-mail coffin nail before I make it official.

Since I'm all out, any words of wisdom, folks?

:oops:

Heh...I've said in other posts that I rejected Wisconsin wayyyy before they ever rejected me. Didn't make the fancy letterhead telling me how bad I sucked was not a huge blow to my little ol' ego. The trouble is...even though I didn't WANT to go there, I would've gone there without complaining (much) if they'd been the only acceptance I got. I mean, they were a safety school for a reason...you know?

I have words of wisdom for you: Patience young grasshopper.

You can always join me in the cross country trucking business I'm planning to start if this all fails. My call sign is Mother Trucker...or Dr. Trucker...you can be thinking on yours, and that'll at least make time go by. :wink:

You can always join me in the cross country trucking business I'm planning to start if this all fails. My call sign is Mother Trucker...or Dr. Trucker...you can be thinking on yours, and that'll at least make time go by. :wink:

Oh god! Don't kid me! I've been in love with big trucks since I was a little girl!!

:lol:

My CB callsign is Lady Blue (though I don't run my CB in my car right now); I'm working on getting my Class A this summer - I have my Class B.

Oh god! Don't kid me! I've been in love with big trucks since I was a little girl!!

:lol:

My CB callsign is Lady Blue (though I don't run my CB in my car right now); I'm working on getting my Class A this summer - I have my Class B.

Then its settled! Plan "B" is the Mother Trucker and Lady Blue's express 18 Wheeler Service :D

I'm right there with you guys - the first rejection is awful! I've had one rejection and one waitlist so far and, I have to say, the rejection sent me spiraling. I didn't even really want to go to the school, I guess I just wanted it as an option. It was sort of like getting dumped by someone I didn't even like - you know, I wanted to beat them to the punch and save some face :) So, yes, I totally freaked out, realized I had no Plan B, had way too many martinis, and by four days later I realized I had to pick myself back up and stop being such a drama queen. Rejection sucks, no? But, as my mom likes to say, pride is cheap and things have a way of working themselves out regardless. Chin up!

Hi GirlattheHem,

this is my first post on this forum, though I've been lurking a while. I just wanted to say that your situation sounds almost exactly like mine, though we're in totally different fields (I'm in physics). I got my first rejection today, and am feeling pretty depressed. Worse, it's got to be all from my GRE scores. I BOMBED the physics GRE and for some reason, did badly on the QGRE (which is bad for anyone in physics) - it was just a fluke, but that fluke is keeping me out. It is very sad. Who'd have thought a single test could do so much damage?

Anyway, I just wanted you to know, you're not alone, and we'll get into grad school somehow.

I got my first rejection letter back in mid-January (months before I thought I would hear back) from my #1 choice. I was crushed, not only because I wanted to go there, but also because I was so confidant (too confidant I guess) that I was going to get in. I spent the weekend moping around, and then picked myself up and went on from there, but honestly, I'm still pretty bummed.

I'm sorry that your first reply was a rejection. Even if it was your reach, even if it was the school you only applied to because they had a cheap application fee and one more couldn't hurt, even if you would never want to live in that state but applied just to see if you'd get in, it still SUCKS. A small part of you believed that every application you filled out would be returned with a smiley face, and now that part just died.

quote]

I love the way you wrote that, because it is so true. I had many daydreams about getting accepted to all the schools I applied to, or at the very least to my reach schools (one of which I really had no chance, but had to apply to any way, just in case) and well reality sucks.

I had many daydreams about getting accepted to all the schools I applied to, or at the very least to my reach schools (one of which I really had no chance, but had to apply to any way, just in case) and well reality sucks.

Oh yes, I remember the vivid daydreams of having to choose between ten funded school offers...and facing the difficult choice between my top school (Clark) and everyone else's obvious top choice (Yale)...and perhaps being the first person ever to say 'no thanks' to Yale...

sigh. Those were the days.

Isn't it funny how a single piece of marked up letterhead can screw up your visions in as much time as it takes to read it? :roll:

Oh yes, I remember the vivid daydreams of having to choose between ten funded school offers...and facing the difficult choice between my top school (Clark) and everyone else's obvious top choice (Yale)...and perhaps being the first person ever to say 'no thanks' to Yale...
I thought I would be in the same happy place of getting to turn down Harvard instead of Cornell...while I'm still waiting for Cornell, Harvard has gone down the toilet.

Although I have to say, some people say that they prefer getting a rejection e-mail because it's faster than snail mail. I much prefer the snail mail, because when I got the one-letter envelope from Harvard I had the satisfaction of ripping it open and throwing it across my kitchen, something you really shouldn't do with a computer.

Although I have to say, some people say that they prefer getting a rejection e-mail because it's faster than snail mail. I much prefer the snail mail, because when I got the one-letter envelope from Harvard I had the satisfaction of ripping it open and throwing it across my kitchen, something you really shouldn't do with a computer.

I have all of my rejection letters printed out and tacked to my fridge...I've got this sick fantasy of sending each them a copy of my fully funded acceptance to my favorite school of choice...but since that fully funded acceptance hasn't come in yet I've just got a sad looking pile of reject letters that now requires two magnets to hold up :lol:

And as an aside...

every time I see this post I get that song stuck in my head...

"The first cut is the deeeeepest, baby you know,

The first cut is the deeeeeepest.

When it comes to being lucky he's first.

When it comes to loving me, he's worst..."

I'm getting to where I'm singing it about my reject letters :lol:

"The first rejection's the hardest, hunny I said,

The first rejection's the hardest.

My GRE kept me from UPenn and Yale

Across the app the schools wrote "EPIC FAIL"

sigh. I'm quietly losing my mind. :roll:

I got my first rejection today from Columbia's International Affairs program. I was trying to make it a dual degree with urban planning, and they sniffed my insincerity out like a pack of blood hounds. They knew I wasn't 100% committed, and they rejected me in the first round on the first day.

I got my first rejection today from Columbia's International Affairs program. I was trying to make it a dual degree with urban planning, and they sniffed my insincerity out like a pack of blood hounds. They knew I wasn't 100% committed, and they rejected me in the first round on the first day.

Woah, they SAID that? Harsh...