Taking a job before graduate school

kaister

Hey all,

I want your guys opinion on whether this is ethical or not. I applied for a job research assisting at a private firm. I don't know if I got the job yet, but if I do, it would be amazing experience and its full time paid work. It would greatly improve my research skills and CV. However, I am applying for grad school this year, so that means, if I do get the job AND do happen to get into grad school, that means the max time I'd be working here is 8-9 months. Is that too short of a time? Should I make it clear to them that I am applying to grad school? I feel like if I do, they'll cut me off their list...but I also don't want to anger them. It's just such a good opportunity that I don't want to let it slip away. What are your thoughts? Am I being unethical if I don't disclose that I'm applying to grad school. I'm scared they'll ask, and when I say I am applying, they'll give me that look of "get out of here!". No where did they specify that there was a minimum employment period or anything...and it's not like it is a guarantee I'll get into grad school either.

I wouldn't mention it. Like you said, you don't know if you will get into grad school this year. And if you do get in, you won't know this for a few months anyway. Besides, even if you were intending on working at this job for several years, that doesn't mean that you wouldn't leave in a few months if a better job came your way.

I agree with DarwinAG. If it is directly addressed, state that your interests are in pursuing a higher education in the future. However, don't mention it directly. If you don't know where you'll end up, make the most of the opportunities ahead of you. Most places will not inquire about graduate school anyways, and if they hear about it, they'll assume your classes are night so you'll be able to continue in a full-time position.

I think even if they ask directly, you don't have to fully mention it. It's not an ethical question for an interviewer to ask (but they will probably ask it anyways). That is, I don't think an employer is allowed to ask an potential employee "Are you going to keep this job for X months" unless they are asking you to sign a contract. This is to protect people who, for example, may want to take maternity/paternity leave after a year, or have an illness that might prevent them from working in the future -- you are not obligated to commit unless there's a contract.

However, they could ask things like "where do you see yourself in 5 years?" etc. to gauge your plans. You can be vague though and it would be honest, since you don't really know how your applications will go! Even if they ask directly about graduate school, you can still say that you are not sure, or that you have currently no commitments to any school (which is still true). Of course, this is different in jobs where graduate school education is encouraged for employees but it doesn't sound this way from your description!

So I agree with everyone else -- don't mention it! Just don't directly lie and say that you have no intention of ever going to grad school, but that doesn't mean they need to know that you are applying. The truth is that you are not committed anywhere else and that's all they really need to know!

Thanks you guys. That makes me feel better. I did mention that my eventual goal is to go to graduate school and I think they encourage that because they want researchers who are dedicated to the field, and to be a successful researcher often you need a PhD. Whew, well now that I don't have that weighing so heavily on my conscious, I can focus on hoping I got the job, haha! Thanks!