The Waiting Game - Fall 2013 - Share your progress!

radiomars

For anyone waiting to hear from U of South Florida, I called the admissions office there last week.  They said that final decisions were made Friday, so this week the paperwork is going through.  Has anyone out there heard anything in regards to admission or rejection?  I've heard nothing.

I posted this in the archaeology waiting thread, but I thought I would cross-post here in case people were wondering about any of these programs:

I'll join in here and stop lurking and post some results. I am a Mesoamerican archaeologist with a strong focus on the Maya, got my BA in May 2012 and was rejected at all schools for Fall 2013. So I did a little CRM and have a publication under review, and it seems to have lifted my acceptability in the eyes of admissions comittees. So far my season has been:

• Vanderbilt (PhD): Accepted, 33k/year funding
  • UC-San Diego (PhD): Accepted, 20k/year funding
  • SUNY-Albany (PhD): Accepted, no funding
  • SIU-C (MA): Accepted, 11k/year funding
  • Tulane (PhD): Withdrew Application
  • CU-Boulder: Waitlisted
  • Boston University: Rejected
  • Brown University: Rejected
  • University of Arizona: Waiting
  • UT-Austin: Waiting

I'm really excited about both the Vanderbilt and UCSD offers and will definitely go to one of those schools. If anyone has any opinions on these programs, feel free to share them!

Yesterday I received my first acceptance from the Masters program at the University of Denver! In addition, I got an email from my poi with a generous funding package and a TA covering the third quarter, along with a living stipend. Needless to say, I'm excited!

I am still waiting to hear from the doctoral programs at WashU and Georgia (where I have apparently been waitlisted). I emailed the dept at UGA, and the admin assistant told me that if I had not received a rejection or acceptance, It means I have been waitlisted. I must say that IMO, it weird to not notify someone they are waitlisted.

WashU still has not sent out acceptances, and hopefully they will accept or reject me within the next week.

My question is: While the email did not give a hard date to decide by, he said to notify as soon as I know, relatively quickly, how long can I reasonably wait to see if  any other eggs have cracked?

Thanks a lot

Well I guess I'm not sure, that's just the response I got from WashU. But I guess I'm not too optimistic about it, since I haven't heard anything so far.

Since I've checked this website at times over the last two months, I thought I should contribute as well. A couple of days ago I turned down an offer from WashU in St. Louis, and about two weeks ago I turned down BU. Now I'm trying to decide between Michigan and Harvard (anthro and Middle Eastern studies), so one of those spots will open up. I'm sociocultural. Best of luck to everyone!

To those who have received Harvard's decision letter: could you identify the date on the letter? I am becoming paranoid as I will soon be moving out of the flat that I am living in. Plus, I am an international living somewhere across the Pacific and I get this feeling that it will take loooooooong time to reach anywhere near my place. Thanks in advance!

I'm waiting for someone to turn down an offer at UPenn or Princeton (both socio-cultural) so I can get off the wait list. Keeping my fingers crossed!

were you notified that you were on the wait list at UPenn - I interviewed with them, but have not heard anything since (rejection or acceptance), though I know that others have received both. I've been assuming its a rejection that is just late. Just curious if they actually notified those on the wait list or not. 

were you notified that you were on the wait list at UPenn - I interviewed with them, but have not heard anything since (rejection or acceptance), though I know that others have received both. I've been assuming its a rejection that is just late. Just curious if they actually notified those on the wait list or not. 

I sent an e-mail to the DGS and she told me I was on the waiting list. She should be able to tell you what's up!

hey guys, i've been trolling this thread for a while so that i could anonymously and secretly bond with the rest of you as we all go through the same nerve-wracking process. it looks like admissions season is slowly coming to a close (albeit a few schools that are taking way too long), but i was wondering if anyone accepted to uchicago is planning on turning down the offer for another school? some professors there have told me that i'm "high" on the waiting list, specifically for sociocultural. chicago has always been my top choice, it's the only department whose professors have expressed serious interest in my application, and it's (unfortunately) the only school that i've heard anything positive from. so basically, it's exactly where i want to be, and it's my last hope! i don't know if anyone else is in a similar boat, but it's a horrible feeling, and i'd love to know if anyone (specifically sociocultural) is planning on turning down an offer from them. thanks!

Hi bourdieu- I feel you! I am in a similar position at Yale, high on the wait list but no indication as to what that exactly means in terms of getting in. The positive advice I have been given so far, is that the wait list is generally compiled under the assumption that not every accepted candidate will accept the offer. So maybe think of it this way: If someone was "qualified" enough to get into U Chicago or Yale for that matter, the chances are they have a number of really solid offers from other programs at very high ranking departments. So in this case, ranking high on the wait list is a good sign!  

Yesterday I received my first acceptance from the Masters program at the University of Denver! In addition, I got an email from my poi with a generous funding package and a TA covering the third quarter, along with a  living stipend. Needless to say, I'm excited!

I am still waiting to hear from the doctoral programs atWashU and Georgia (where I have apparently been waitlisted). I emailed the dept at UGA, and the admin assistant told me that if I had not received a rejection or acceptance, It means I have been waitlisted. I must say that IMO, it weird to not notify someone they are waitlisted.

Wash U still has not sent out acceptances, and hopefully they will accept or reject me within the next week.

My question is: While the email did not give a hard date to decide by, he said to notify as soon as I know, relatively quickly, how long can I reasonably wait to see if  any other eggs have cracked?

Thanks a lot

I was accepted to U Denver as well with a nice funding package (unofficially of course)! I was waitlisted at Johns Hopkins, so I'm not feeling particularly confident about getting off.  I think I'm going to accept DU's offer. 

Any thoughts out there?  Would it be imprudent or impolite to call JHU and ask about my status on the wait list since I do have an offer from elsewhere?

hey guys, i've been trolling this thread for a while so that i could anonymously and secretly bond with the rest of you as we all go through the same nerve-wracking process. it looks like admissions season is slowly coming to a close (albeit a few schools that are taking way too long), but i was wondering if anyone accepted to uchicago is planning on turning down the offer for another school? some professors there have told me that i'm "high" on the waiting list, specifically for sociocultural. chicago has always been my top choice, it's the only department whose professors have expressed serious interest in my application, and it's (unfortunately) the only school that i've heard anything positive from. so basically, it's exactly where i want to be, and it's my last hope! i don't know if anyone else is in a similar boat, but it's a horrible feeling, and i'd love to know if anyone (specifically sociocultural) is planning on turning down an offer from them. thanks!

Hi B, and anyone else on a waitlist:

I know how positively nervewracking this is, but do *not* give up. Especially you B, should email your POI and tell them directly "If you give me an offer I WILL take it*. This is important for them to know. 

I know several friends occupying 2-3 spots right now. A girl I'm meeting today is sitting on offers from Berkeley, Stanford, and Duke and she's trying to decide in the next couple of days to free up other spots. You can imagine that if there is someone accepted to Stanford but top waitlisted at Duke and this girl chooses Berkeley and that "someone" takes the spot at Duke, thats 2 new spots at Stanford that open up. April 15th is a long ways away, and I wish you the best of luck. 

i'm with newleaf on this one: i'm currently occupying 3 spots, and i intend to commit within the next week; i have a few friends who are occupying 2-4 spots who also intend to make a decision within the next week or 1.5 weeks. some of my programs, as well as my friends', have requested a response within the next 2 weeks so they can begin moving through their waitlists, both official and unofficial. i think there will be a lot of card-shuffling, so to speak, between now and 4/1.

Hi bourdieu- I feel you! I am in a similar position at Yale, high on the wait list but no indication as to what that exactly means in terms of getting in. The positive advice I have been given so far, is that the wait list is generally compiled under the assumption that not every accepted candidate will accept the offer. So maybe think of it this way: If someone was "qualified" enough to get into U Chicago or Yale for that matter, the chances are they have a number of really solid offers from other programs at very high ranking departments. So in this case, ranking high on the wait list is a good sign!  

i definitely think you're right, when it comes to schools like chicago and yale, there are usually "top" students that receive offers from schools like chicago, berkeley, columbia, yale, etc. since chicago was the only school interested in me, i can only hope that these students who received offers are interested in attending others!

Hi B, and anyone else on a waitlist:

I know how positively nervewracking this is, but do *not* give up. Especially you B, should email your POI and tell them directly "If you give me an offer I WILL take it*. This is important for them to know. 

I know several friends occupying 2-3 spots right now. A girl I'm meeting today is sitting on offers from Berkeley, Stanford, and Duke and she's trying to decide in the next couple of days to free up other spots. You can imagine that if there is someone accepted to Stanford but top waitlisted at Duke and this girl chooses Berkeley and that "someone" takes the spot at Duke, thats 2 new spots at Stanford that open up. April 15th is a long ways away, and I wish you the best of luck. 

thanks for the words of encouragement, newleaf. i've already spoken with "POIs" at chicago -- though i've always had a problem with this term. lots of people use it in these threads like they have such a close relationship with a certain professor in the department. for me, i've casually been in contact with one professor in the department (and i met with him in person at the AAAs) and another professor was assigned to interview me, so since then i've been in contact with her. i've never been on such close terms that they've divulged anything secretive to me, or anything like that. either way, at this point in the admissions process they've both referred me to the chair of the graduate committee for the department, but he has never responded to my e-mails. i have talked to these two professors about my waitlist status, though, and told them how much i would love to attend the school.

but i do appreciate the advice! it definitely soothes my nerves a bit.