University of Minnesota application statement 2

Hi, Jocko!  I'm in the same boat as you. "Awaiting program decision." It's really weird because in the past it seems like they've done acceptances first. So, yeah, I don't want to get my hopes up. (Even though it's secretly making me feel better too!) 

I’m not a Minnesota applicant, but I just thought I’d chime in that there is another acceptance posted, so the first one likely ​wasn’t a mistake. Arizona State is doing the same thing this year--admissions waves wherein they first accept people who they REALLY want and reject those that they really don’t want, then a second round, etc...

Hey--I noticed that as well. But this acceptance was by phone today. So who knows? I was told that they would be notifying everyone within the next week or so. so we will see. 

I called (anonymously). She said next week, not day. I got off the phone pretty quickly. She (the grad coordinator) is answering the phone, so if you can think of anything else to ask (I just asked when notifications were going out?) go for it. I didn't give my name or anything. Are you still "Awaiting Program Decision?" This very well may not be correct, but I think if you are going to be an admit it needs to change to "Final Review" first. But I'm not sure. I'm still "APD"

I applied to UMN (RS&TC program) and got a call from them on Feb.1 morning saying I am accepted. My web portal says "Final Review."

Hi, tinkywinky! Congratulations on the acceptance, that's very exciting!  Quick question (one to which I should probably know the answer): what does RS&TC stand for? Anyways, thanks for the information (it's actually super helpful to know what we're looking for).

Hi, tinkywinky! Congratulations on the acceptance, that's very exciting!  Quick question (one to which I should probably know the answer): what does RS&TC stand for? Anyways, thanks for the information (it's actually super helpful to know what we're looking for).

RS&TC = Rhetoric and Scientific and Technical Communication. 

Thanks! I am also accepted into Iowa State's Rhetoric and Prof. Comm. program but I think I am going to the U. 

Hi folks.  I'm a current Ph.D. student at UMN in English.  I'm trying to remember how it all went, but I got a phone call at or about the same time as my online portal went to awaiting decision.  There was variation with the rest of my cohort, though.  I do know that our timeline is for me (I'm on the recruitment team) to be notified of first-round admits soon to contact, so I believe if you're a first-round admit, you will have been notified already or will be this week.  If you don't know after this week one way or the other, you're likely in the next pool.  Don't despair, though, we often do have many next-round admits.  If you have questions about UMN, feel free to PM me.  I'll try to remember to log on to grad cafe for the next few weeks.  Good luck!

Lyoness, I so appreciate the info--I sent you a message about an email with the dept. I had-- but as a general question: are there still admits to be contacted this week? Or just rejections? I take it the "wait list" and perhaps an occasional admit would be a bit further ?

I'm pretty sure that this week will include some admits, but I'm not 100% sure on that.  Recruitment team hasn't been given the list of names yet (or at least my subfield hasn't) so that suggests to me that things aren't fully ironed out yet.