2013 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

MicroB2012

I emailed the program assistant yesterday and she said "the admissions committee is reviewing all applicants and anticipating to deliver formal letters to all those accepted into the program." If I didn't receive an email by now, I'm pretty sure that means rejection. I am tempted to call and ask, but I don't want to be too pushy about it. I'm just upset because the chair of admissions told me "I would have to do something like spit in someone's face to not get accepted." I obviously didn't do that!! :( I'm really wondering what I did wrong.

I emailed the program assistant yesterday and she said "the admissions committee is reviewing all applicants and anticipating to deliver formal letters to all those accepted into the program." If I didn't receive an email by now, I'm pretty sure that means rejection. I am tempted to call and ask, but I don't want to be too pushy about it. I'm just upset because the chair of admissions told me "I would have to do something like spit in someone's face to not get accepted." I obviously didn't do that!! :( I'm really wondering what I did wrong.

Why are you anticipating rejection? She just said that formal letters will be delivered... not that they had sent them our or completed their decision-making. I wouldn't expect anything until next week if yesterday the admissions committee was still reviewing.

Yeah, I was figuring rejection because they had already sent out emails and it doesn't seem like it would take very long to email out acceptance. In addition, the interview weekend was 3 weeks ago so its possible they waited to send everything out at once. I just wish the lady I emailed would just tell me my application status.

if you all are the kind of competition I'll face when i apply next year, then I'm doomed. :(. I probably won't have a senior thesis or authorship, and below a 3.6.

If you have some research experience, that will significantly help you. That plus a killer SoP, Research Statement, and LOR. My 6 years of research experience (4 years UG, 2 years masters) are the biggest factors for me. They were obvious and important in my SoP, Research Statement, and I'm sure that my professors included it in my LORs. I only have one publication so far, and that is unrelated to my research interests (it was Zoology, from my freshman year). My GPA is right around a 3.65 and my GRE wasn't stellar. Experience speaks for you very loudly. No matter what, just make sure you know and can show why you are passionate about pursuing your graduate studies. :)

Yeah, I was figuring rejection because they had already sent out emails and it doesn't seem like it would take very long to email out acceptance. In addition, the interview weekend was 3 weeks ago so its possible they waited to send everything out at once. I just wish the lady I emailed would just tell me my application status.

Congratulations Biotechstudent on UNC acceptance!

Do you feel better? 

How does UNC fit into your plans?  I don't know anything about them but it seems like a popular program.   It should be a lot closer to home.  

Anyway, you've got some choices now.  Maybe more good news will be on the way.

StructuralBio, you might try looking at this thread if you're really worried. There are tons of sub-3.0 GPA people posting on here. I'm not sure how many science, but perhaps they may be able to help you figure out how to overcome some of the things you're worried about? They seem to be doing great. :)

structuralbio, don't compare based on people on these threads. We're a self-selecting group, and not representative of the general applicant pool. 

There are plenty of applicants with GPAs lower than yours who have been successful.

I have a 3.0 and mediocre GREs, with 5 years experience and a publication. I applied very narrowly this year with plans to apply more broadly next year once I have another publication and re-take the GREs. I applied to 3 top programs (which rejected me pre-interview), but I got two interviews at good (just not top/super competitive) programs. I'm waitlisted at one and waiting to hear from another, so I'm not a success story yet, but my point is that there are applicants out there with lower stats, and we're not entirely unsuccessful. I don't see any reason to worry about a 3.6, as long as you have experience + LORs.

Edited by parafilm

Congratulations Biotechstudent on UNC acceptance!

Do you feel better? 

How does UNC fit into your plans?  I don't know anything about them but it seems like a popular program.   It should be a lot closer to home.  

Anyway, you've got some choices now.  Maybe more good news will be on the way.

Yes, I do feel a little better. I liked the program and it's closer to home with a reasonable cost of living. I will probably accept if I don't hear from anyone else.

-Also, thanks guys for helping me out while I was in my mini crisis.  :rolleyes: This whole applications process have been emotionally exhausting.  :blink:

Congrats on your acceptance to clown school!

I have my last interview this weekend. My itinerary just went out and two of the Professors I'm meeting with have research that just doesn't interest me, Biophysics, even though I requested microbiology/immunology. That will make it more challenging.

I have my last interview this weekend. My itinerary just went out and two of the Professors I'm meeting with have research that just doesn't interest me, Biophysics, even though I requested microbiology/immunology. That will make it more challenging.

If this is MCW, then those two are probably on the admissions committee/recruitment committee.  I had a similar situation when I interviewed there a couple years ago.

Good luck!

Edited by Biohopeful

If this is MCW, then those two are probably on the admissions committee/recruitment committee.  I had a similar situation when I interviewed there a couple years ago.

Good luck!

That it is. I got 1 of my 3 requested interviewers. Should be interesting. At least they specified that we should wear a suit. One less thing to worry about. Do you know if they have a low acceptance rate post interview?

I wish I had that information, but I don't... I was waitlisted and didn't make it off the list.  They told me they had a high number of acceptances for IDP that year.  To my knowledge, they had 3 interview weekends with approximately 20-25 students each and were looking to matriculate ~25 students.

Edited by Biohopeful

Btw Biohopeful, have you heard anything from Notre Dame yet? I was looking at their website, and I just realized I totally could have straightened out my problems and finished my application to them, but I was stressed and didn't think I could get my LoR to write three new letters in 3 weeks with Christmas and New Years in between. Oh well. Seems like a cool school to go to grad school at. 

I haven't heard anything from them yet... I guess they're still reviewing applications and hope to have their decisions made by mid-March.  I've seen a couple acceptances here and there, but that was the information I was given when I emailed the last week.  Also, I think some people who submitted results got the Biological Sciences program and the Biomedical Sciences program confused with each other.  Hopefully I'll know my fate before the end of the week!

Notre Dame is probably my top choice at this point, but I'd be happy going to any of the schools I interviewed at.

I hear Clown College is extremely prestigious and very highly ranked among schools for the biomedical sciences.

Alas, I did not take the GRE subject test for clowning around on time, so I wasn't able to make the application deadline. So jealous!

:D :D