2013 Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

MicroB2012

what is your opinion?? seemed to be awesome research going on there.

Oh I just thought the campus was incredibly boring. There was nothing to do. Nothing with the academics of the place. We asked the girl working at the front desk of their union if there was anything fun to do, she said no not really. 

Oh I just thought the campus was incredibly boring. There was nothing to do. Nothing with the academics of the place. We asked the girl working at the front desk of their union if there was anything fun to do, she said no not really. 

o.O

Wow. Evanston has amazing food, during the spring the lakeside beach is fantastic, and we're a short train ride from the coolest city in the country.  

Edited by RaganSmash

o.O

Wow. Evanston has amazing food, during the spring the lakeside beach is fantastic, and we're a short train ride from the coolest city in the country.  

I mean everywhere has amazing food :-P I'm sure the lake is an added bonus when it's warm though. I just have a preexisted hatred of Northwestern cause I go to Illinois  :P

I mean everywhere has amazing food :-P I'm sure the lake is an added bonus when it's warm though. I just have a preexisted hatred of Northwestern cause I go to Illinois  :P

lol.

i agree Evanston seemed like a drag, but it's graduate school not undergrad. 

Yeah you just mad cuz we beat you like a red-headed stepchild back in December. =P

So I emailed my number one choice and asked if they had an update as to when I would know about a decision and I got no response (1 week ago) so today I called and the coordinator said she didn't know and would have to ask the director of the program and would then email me back today.  She did not email me with an answer.  I interviewed there mid January and last year most acceptances were out by February 17.  Is this a bad sign or am I just being overly anxious?

So I emailed my number one choice and asked if they had an update as to when I would know about a decision and I got no response (1 week ago) so today I called and the coordinator said she didn't know and would have to ask the director of the program and would then email me back today.  She did not email me with an answer.  I interviewed there mid January and last year most acceptances were out by February 17.  Is this a bad sign or am I just being overly anxious?

the 17th this year was a Sunday and yesterday was a holiday. you should relax

Yeah you just mad cuz we beat you like a red-headed stepchild back in December. =P

Did you SEE the game on Sunday? Cause I was there with 150 other students. You should youtube it, we all wore purple and pretended to be Northwestern fans till tipoff. There were more Illinois fans than Northwestern fans, especially after our 26-0 run we went on to go up by 30.  :D

Did you SEE the game on Sunday? Cause I was there with 150 other students. You should youtube it, we all wore purple and pretended to be Northwestern fans till tipoff. There were more Illinois fans than Northwestern fans, especially after our 26-0 run we went on to go up by 30.  :D

With almost all our starters injured we're pretty much writing off this season. The last two big victories you had over us (this basketball game, the game at Wrigley) our key players were injured. Let's see ya do it again next year brother.

Edited by RaganSmash

With almost all our starters injured we're pretty much writing off this season. The last two big victories you had over us (this basketball game, the game at Wrigley) our key players were injured. Let's see ya do it again next year brother.

Who on your defense was injured that allowed LeShoure to run 330 yards :-D We also beat you the year after that in football again when Persa was suppose to be amazing. This season we were the worst team in the Big 10 by far. We went 2-11(0-10 Big Ten), so beating us isn't exactly anything to write home about. You caught us on a downturn in bball earlier, maybe you missed it but we beat #1 Indiana, as well as Minnesota. Illinois didn't care about Northwestern until they started that whole "Chicago's Big Ten Team" marketing thing, which looked silly the other night when half the stadium was cheering for Illinois. We also lead the series 129-38 overall in bball and 54-47-5 in football.

Boy there isn't much to talk about in the lull between interview and acceptances. 

Edited by trickster31

Who on your defense was injured that allowed LeShoure to run 330 yards :-D We also beat you the year after that in football again when Persa was suppose to be amazing. This season we were the worst team in the Big 10 by far. We went 2-11(0-10 Big Ten), so beating us isn't exactly anything to write home about. You caught us on a downturn in bball earlier, maybe you missed it but we beat #1 Indiana, as well as Minnesota. Illinois didn't care about Northwestern until they started that whole "Chicago's Big Ten Team" marketing thing, which looked silly the other night when half the stadium was cheering for Illinois. 

I could continue to wave my dick at you but it's kinda disrespectful to the other 99% people here who don't care about our half-assed rivalry.

Hi everyone, I was offered a skype interview from my top choice school (yay) but then I am living in US right now (even tho I am international), so it feels a bit strange to me that they didn't invite me for an on site interview. Does that mean there is less chance of acceptance? 

And any thoughts on skype interview in general??

Hi everyone, I was offered a skype interview from my top choice school (yay) but then I am living in US right now (even tho I am international), so it feels a bit strange to me that they didn't invite me for an on site interview. Does that mean there is less chance of acceptance? 

Do they know you're in the states right now? It could be that their system is set up to offer Skype interviews to international students by default. There's no harm in asking about an on-site interview; if anything it shows initiative and interest. That said, you might want to be prepared to finance it yourself if you propose it.

Edited by RaganSmash

You definitely want to let them know that you are in the U.S. and are available for in-person interview. I don't think a skype or in-person interviews affect ones chances much, but obviously, the latter one allows the program to have more time and evaluate you as an applicant (other than face-to-face, 1-on-1 interview.)

Is anyone here applying to UTMB in Galveston? I got a call from an admissions committee member to talk about my application last Tuesday afternoon and I haven't heard anything since then. He said he wanted a bit more information about me than was on my application - this by no means was a formal interview. I got the impression that if the committee liked my application, I would get an in-person interview offer. Is that pretty much par for the course?

Congrats!

I have my first interview at Loyola with a dinner tomorrow night and the interviews Friday. Just debating myself on what I should wear or not for both days. Hopefully the snow storm holds off till I get into Chicago. I have no idea what to expect.

Thanks!

@cleverfool: With whom do you interview if I may ask? I am really looking forward to this interview. From what I've read, I really love the program. I also visited Madison last year and it seems like such a great place to spend five years of grad school.

In UIC application system of all of you had interview or have interview in near future, is the status of uploaded documents "verified" or is it blank in both "Requirement" and "additional program requirement" section?

After two months of submitting my documents, they updated my transcripts only as verified in the "Requirement" section. Department requirements doesn't update anything. I am trying to figure out if it's same with others or just me?

:unsure:

Thanks!

@cleverfool: With whom do you interview if I may ask? I am really looking forward to this interview. From what I've read, I really love the program. I also visited Madison last year and it seems like such a great place to spend five years of grad school.

I interviewed with Kiessling, Denu, Raines, Coon, Keck, and Rayment. I lean more toward the chemistry side of things. Do you know who you'll be talking to?

Also, I just got a call (since my last post) to say that I was accepted! So, I am feeling extra positive about the program right now. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the interviews.

Ruhi:  All mine have been verified.  I don't know what's up with your guys' apps... I do still get emails indicating that I still need to send required materials, although I've already sent them all in and interviewed.

I would contact the department to make sure they have everything.  If they do, then great, nothing you need to worry about anymore.