Anyone currently working on apps? /Advice?

dworkable

I'm thrilled and also terrified because I just submitted my first application! I am applying to Ph.D. programs in political science at a handful of well-ranked universities, and since each application asks for something just a liiiittle different, I am anticipating lots of work in the next couple weeks.

Is there anyone out there who has advice on tweaking applications for different universities? Former applicants: did you change "fit paragraphs" in your SOP or something more drastic? I'm enjoying tailoring my SOP and Personal Statements to universities right now, but I think that enjoyment will probably wane as I finish more applications.

I am also wondering if it is far too late to contact POIs from schools with deadlines in mid-Dec. I have hesitated to contact many professors due to conflicting advice from my mentors and on these boards...but now I worry maybe my hesitance is shooting me in the foot.

So, how are applications going, everyone?

Mine are complete...just waiting on the GRE to hit all of the universities. I literally just took it yesterday lol.

I would think if you can write a REALLY good email to a POI you may get a response. I made all my moves in early November. I ONLY applied to schools where I spoke with someone. They may not be the best, but I think I have a decent chance of admittance.

What schools did you apply to and what is your focus?

I'm not too concerned about actually getting a response...if I had pressing questions about a program I have already had them answered. But I am concerned that it will look bad to some schools if I haven't contacted anyone (though at most schools I have had a LOR contact someone on my behalf). Ugh I don't know...maybe I'll send some emails this afternoon.

I'm applying to some "top-tier" schools like Harvard and Chicago but also a few like UT Austin and Notre Dame. I'm want to study political theory, especially ancient political philosophy and gender.

Congrats on completing your apps! I've always been 'deadline-motivated' (okay, fine, a procrastinator), so I'm just finishing them now.

I'm thrilled and also terrified because I just submitted my first application! I am applying to Ph.D. programs in political science at a handful of well-ranked universities, and since each application asks for something just a liiiittle different, I am anticipating lots of work in the next couple weeks.

Is there anyone out there who has advice on tweaking applications for different universities? Former applicants: did you change "fit paragraphs" in your SOP or something more drastic? I'm enjoying tailoring my SOP and Personal Statements to universities right now, but I think that enjoyment will probably wane as I finish more applications.

I am also wondering if it is far too late to contact POIs from schools with deadlines in mid-Dec. I have hesitated to contact many professors due to conflicting advice from my mentors and on these boards...but now I worry maybe my hesitance is shooting me in the foot.

dworkable, I'm in the same place. I could have written this exact post! (except for the enjoyment part... lucky you ;) )

I've spoken/emailed with professors at a few schools to which I'm applying, and now I'm regretting not doing it at all of them. Are you leaning towards contacting them, or no? I'm leaning towards yes at this point. Just so I can say that I did. I know people at many of the departments to which I am applying, so I know/think I'd fit in there. But it would be good to get confirmation from POIs.

MarketMan, congrats on being done!

Thanks, the hardest thing is getting LOR's on time. I feel like profs forgot what it was like when they were applying! But I read in a book on getting into graduate school that it is imperative to make contact with everyone. That way your not just a name in a pile..

Come to think of it..i forgot to make contact at one..D'oh!

I also did some conv. with profs. Some of them responds unwillingly and some were vey positive. However, my objective quals are poor. GPA 3.60,GRE 310, IELTS 7.0 I do have exernal funding.

I applied Chicago, GWU,Pittsburgh,Virgina and I am planning to apply also Maryland,Delaware and WUSTL---any advice for all?

Good luck for you all...

Virginia director said admissions are incredibly competitive.

WashU tends to have a strong focus on American Politics, Public Policy, Comparative Politics, Political Psychology, and Political Methodology.

Also, Delaware tends to have a strong focus on Global Governance. I may apply, but I dont know..I applied to Albany.

What do u want to focus on?

It seems like people get really caught up with numbers, but make sure your statement of purpose and personal history are really good. Show the admissions board why they need YOU in their class of 15-30 people. Try to create a narrative that shows diversity of thought and the willingness to hit the ground running in grad school.

It seems like people get really caught up with numbers, but make sure your statement of purpose and personal history are really good. Show the admissions board why they need YOU in their class of 15-30 people. Try to create a narrative that shows diversity of thought and the willingness to hit the ground running in grad school.

Lol no one knows this better than me. I am depending on that to get me in..and the fact that I minored in IR and had a superior gpa...not so much in my major in econ :/

Edited by MarketMan257

I just sent some emails to POIs and they responded positively, even though the deadlines are coming up soon. So that was good!

@crobinson good advice. I am trying SO HARD to make sense of my SOP, but I think frankly my numbers are better ;P

Wait, I thought we are NOT supposed to contact any faculty members. Isn't that almost the rule in the US? (while it's just the reverse in UK.)

Just want to know the truth just in case I got it wrong.

Wait, I thought we are NOT supposed to contact any faculty members. Isn't that almost the rule in the US? (while it's just the reverse in UK.)

Just want to know the truth just in case I got it wrong.

In Britain you generally do contact, but that's because the whole process is shorter and you sign up with your advisor from day 1.

I honestly can't figure it out-- I just ended up contacting 3 profs who one of my LORs is friendly with, but I really don't know what general practice is because there is so much conflicting advice out there. I think you can't go wrong as long as you don't annoy any POIs, but it might not be necessary.

I also contacted a few POIs and a couple DGSs. When I was travelling to the areas for various reasons, I decided to visit some of the schools that I am interested in. That's when I contacted the POIs, let them know I'd be coming, and asked if it was possible to meet with them.

All responses were positive, whether I met with them or not. It was helpful to have an excuse though. The reason I didn't contact many more POIs is because I don't know how to cold contact. It makes me nervous!

Edited by PolyWonk

"Honestly, I am thinking that if i dont get into any phd's I can atleast get a MA with some funding to rebrand myself as a good applicant."

Wake Forest and Marquette both have good MA programs that offer a fair number of students money. They are academic in focus (rather than professional) and there are no PhDs to condend with. You should look into them as good "rebranding" options.