Applying Fall 2013? Where?

EdNerd2013

I did (and to that program) and am now TOTALLY freaking out... (I'm telling myself that if I don't hear anything in the next 48-72 hours, it's likely a rejection...)

Ahhh... I did as well. Have you heard from Vanderbilt yet? Nothing on my end. I hope it's not a big, fat, N-O. :mellow:

Ahhh... I did as well. Have you heard from Vanderbilt yet? Nothing on my end. I hope it's not a big, fat, N-O. :mellow:

Nope...nothing. Slowly beginning to lose hope on that one... :( I suppose I'll give it until the end of this week before I consider it a firm rejection.

Hi! I also applied to Vanderbilt and I'm a bit stressed out since I've seen that three people have received news. I'm an International student so I'm hoping I'm at the end of the list or something :)  I've been looking at all the results from the past years for the PhD programs I applied to and it seemed like my best chance would be with Vandy since Harvard rejects ace candidates and Stanford doesn't seem to accept a whole lot of people.

I've applied to Stanford, Harvard, UPenn and Vanderbilt in PhD programs related to policy and culture, depending on the school.

Nope...nothing. Slowly beginning to lose hope on that one... :( I suppose I'll give it until the end of this week before I consider it a firm rejection.

Re: Vanderbilt... Bummer :( I just want to hear SOMETHING, good or bad. I've been so confused because the professor I talked to in my program area told me there is not an interview process. I was also told this by admissions during an admission chat. When I saw a Special Education Ph.D. applicant post in the results section that they were invited to an interview and my stomach dropped out of my body! I only hope it wasn't the same program area I applied to.

Hi! I also applied to Vanderbilt and I'm a bit stressed out since I've seen that three people have received news. I'm an International student so I'm hoping I'm at the end of the list or something :)  I've been looking at all the results from the past years for the PhD programs I applied to and it seemed like my best chance would be with Vandy since Harvard rejects ace candidates and Stanford doesn't seem to accept a whole lot of people.

I've applied to Stanford, Harvard, UPenn and Vanderbilt in PhD programs related to policy and culture, depending on the school.

I wish you the best! Vanderbilt was the only place that I applied since I live in Nashville and have a family. My spouse said I should try there first, and if it doesn't happen then we will look at applying other places and potentially moving next year... fingers crossed I don't have to sell my house and move! I couldn't imagine moving out of the country!

For Vanderbilt, I'm not sure if every program in Peabody has the interview process. I do know that every PhD program at Peabody invites students for the Recruitment Weekend. However, just because the title is Recruitment Weekend does not mean that those students are already admitted. Students are not guaranteed admission just by being invited to the weekend. Also, sometimes departments choose to admit students that they did not choose to invite for the weekend (though this is a bit rare). If not invited for the weekend you normally are not notified for a bit (no clue exact amount) because they may still choose to admit you. Hope this helped clear some things up.

I'm very interested by this whole interview thing... One of my friends applied to neuroscience programs and they really point out when the interviews take place and all that but it seems a little bit unclear for education phd programs at Vanderbilt AND away.

I'm very interested by this whole interview thing... One of my friends applied to neuroscience programs and they really point out when the interviews take place and all that but it seems a little bit unclear for education phd programs at Vanderbilt AND away.

I'm interested in this as well. It seems that a few people have been invited to interview at Peabody, but it's unclear which and when, etc... This is the same for several of the programs to which I've applied (not sure whether to expect interviews or not...)

Vanderbilt's Recruitment Weekend is the same weekend for all departments of Peabody. It happens in February (think a friend said weekend of the 8th this year). Like I said before people get invited for the weekend and for some departments those are the people they are admitting, for other departments they will still be choosing to deny some of those people. If for some reason the people invited for the weekend are not what the department is looking for, they can then go back to the students they did not invite for the weekend. That is however, more of a rarity (not impossible just trying to be honest). Therefore, if you get invited for the weekend the department thinks you might be a good fit. If not, that doesn't mean you're automatically denied but your chances have decreased.

Edited to add: And yes in general Education programs are not as clear as some of our hard sciences friends about interviews and whatnot. That's one of the reasons I was so grateful for this community last year to help me know what to expect for each of my institutions.

Edited by lilgreycells

Guest HEPhD13

No, I don't think it'll hurt if you didn't attend. People can't attend for a number of reasons-- I was out of the country at the time and couldn't make it. What other schools did you apply to?

I'm applying for my Masters in Education Policy and similar programs at:

Harvard
Vanderbilt
NYU
WUSTL
University of Washington
The University of Pittsburgh
BC
Vermont
Mills 
Towson

And this is so stressful I'm surprised I haven't started peeing the bed like an eight year old. Being a grown up is rough.

Hi all! I'm also applying to Ed PhD programs for Fall 2013. Looks like the Upenn invitations for applicant weekend (PhD) went out yesterday. Doh! Empty inbox. Still hoping for one of the following: Penn GSE (still hope?) Rutgers Harvard GSE Lehigh University of Vermont University of New Orleans Good luck all!

Guest HEPhD13

Wow--interviews are being offered now to a lot of the PhD programs.  Anyone with good news? I saw some UVA, NYU, UCLA, and UMich. Congrats to those that got interviews!

I've applied for Literacy/Reading programs at:

UPenn (no invitation, so I know that's a rejection)

Rutgers - PhD in Literacy Education

Syracuse - PhD in Literacy Education

NYU - PhD in Teaching and Learning

UMass Amherst - EdD in Language, Literacy, and Culture

A bit late to the game! I've applied to Master's programs in higher ed administration, ed policy, or a mixture of both... the programs at these schools vary quite a bit!:

Vanderbilt

SUSE

HGSE

UMich

USC Rossier

UCLA GSEIS

---

I'm currently an undergrad at Vanderbilt and I've heard down the grapevine that the MEd/MPP applicants are supposed to hear back really, REALLY soon.  :) keep your hopes up everyone.

When I open my application it shows that the GRE scores have been received under "Application Checklist." If they did not receive it, first confirm the date that College Board released the scores, hoping that it was before deadline. Then call HGSE with that information. Not sure what they will do. But at least your moving on your end. Good luck!

When I open my application it shows that the GRE scores have been received under "Application Checklist." If they did not receive it, first confirm the date that College Board released the scores, hoping that it was before deadline. Then call HGSE with that information. Not sure what they will do. But at least your moving on your end. Good luck!

Thank you - I checked, my scores were sent to them in June 2012.... but I am worried that since they did not make the connection my application was discounted - I wrote to them today, if I do not hear back, I will call Monday..... :(