Anyone else losing their damn mind?

gradorbust

Yep - two of my emails have gone unanswered for up to 5 days now. I was worried that since I used a gmail address it might have been thrown in spam boxes, but then ONE got answered.    Typically how long is it taking for any of you to get responses to email inquiries?
I got an auto response from Harvard that said 24-48 hours. I'll let you know if its not accurate!

I actually went to one of my desired school's department web pages and counted the grad students that already work in my desired literature field. SIX. Now I'm thinking I'm definitely not getting in, since six students is too many, and why would they need more.

Even though, I was told that if they like you as an applicant, you'll get accepted regardless of your favored field, and you'd just end up doing something similar. It didn't console me.

Thank goodnes some schools don't have the grad students list availabe, if they did, I'd freak out even more.

Ignorance is bliss in this case?

In this case, yes. :)

But, of course, there's still the nagging voice that keeps telling me I come from the middle of nowhere, haven't studied in a well-known (or known, for that fact) university, and that they'll laugh at my application and use it as a coffee coaster, since all other applicants are English native speakers from top universities, have stellar GREs, and awesome SOPs and writing samples.

Self confidence FTW! ;)

I can't remember the last time I craved a time machine as much as now.   I mean seriously, it's 2013. Time travel should be a thing by now.
If I was gonna have something it wouldn't be a time machine, it would be mind control...for the ad coms!

I actually went to one of my desired school's department web pages and counted the grad students that already work in my desired literature field. SIX. Now I'm thinking I'm definitely not getting in, since six students is too many, and why would they need more.

Even though, I was told that if they like you as an applicant, you'll get accepted regardless of your favored field, and you'd just end up doing something similar. It didn't console me.

Thank goodnes some schools don't have the grad students list availabe, if they did, I'd freak out even more.

LOL - I think counting the number of students in my subfield/working with my POI might become my next obsessive displacement activity...Hopefully, they really do take good applicants no matter what! :)

But, of course, there's still the nagging voice that keeps telling me I come from the middle of nowhere, haven't studied in a well-known (or known, for that fact) university, and that they'll laugh at my application and use it as a coffee coaster, since all other applicants are English native speakers from top universities, have stellar GREs, and awesome SOPs and writing samples.

Self confidence FTW! ;)

If it helps any, I'd kill for your bilingual ability! Languages are the bane of my existence right now.

And your unique background might help you stand out, or be extra memorable. A lot of us have pretty similar backgrounds and I'm sure POI will start to forget who's who as they look through lots of apps.

Self confidence FTW! ;)

Sort of in the same boat! I expect them to look at my undergraduate transcript from a foreign university and laugh at it.

If it helps any, I'd kill for your bilingual ability! Languages are the bane of my existence right now.

And your unique background might help you stand out, or be extra memorable. A lot of us have pretty similar backgrounds and I'm sure POI will start to forget who's who as they look through lots of apps.

Urgh, so true!  I'm about as vanilla and forgettable as you can get! :P

Sort of in the same boat! I expect them to look at my undergraduate transcript from a foreign university and laugh at it.

By the way, Lemeard, I used to live in Norway - we're practically neighbors!  Where in Sweden did you live/attend undergrad? :)

Because my research interests could be applied to every field of study for my discipline, I made it more about the programs and then gave examples of the kind of research interests that we might be able to pursue with particular professors.

I dont know if this hurt me or helped me but still it was the best way to do it as I did not feel any real strong connection to any given professor or specific subject.

Well, that's the only thing that keeps my hopes a little bit up. That, and the fact that I've heard unis have a foreign students quota they have to meet. But then again, who nows how many stellar foregners are applying.

Someone mentioned you're from Sweden? Sweden has some excellent, well known unis, I've applied to Uppsala last year, but I was rejected because I did my M.A. in translation studies, and not in literature. Which sucked, 'cause Sweden's pretty much a dream country for me. In fact, I'll be taking language courses in Swedish this year. :)

One of my schools finally uploaded my GRE scores to their system. This score was sent over 2 months ago. ETS showed it received back in November. The deadline for the school was right at a month ago. Greeeat. 

I know how you feel. I had a back and forth email exchange with a school, until I finally gave up, stayed up till 2am to call them during their office hours and sorted it out.

Looking at current graduates enrolled at the universities I applied to only makes me crazier. It seems like ALL of them have already done fulbrights!

I'm sure this sounds like some sort of humblebrag, but be glad you haven't done one yet! You only get one shot, and this way you can use a Fulbright to do dissertation research later on. As much as I'm thankful for my experience (it totally reshaped my research focus) I know enough about grad school now to wish I'd waited until I was in a PhD program to do a Fulbright.

Someone mentioned you're from Sweden? Sweden has some excellent, well known unis, I've applied to Uppsala last year, but I was rejected because I did my M.A. in translation studies, and not in literature. Which sucked, 'cause Sweden's pretty much a dream country for me. In fact, I'll be taking language courses in Swedish this year. :)

Not to be mean or anything but you should account for the inside-track when applying to universities in Sweden. It is very often that phd calls here are made with certain students (whom usually already are working within the program) in mind. It is certainly the case at Stockholm for alot of programs.

Not to be mean or anything but you should account for the inside-track when applying to universities in Sweden. It is very often that phd calls here are made with certain students (whom usually already are working within the program) in mind. It is certainly the case at Stockholm for alot of programs.

Oh, no worries. :)

I was kinda aware of that, but it was just one of those things I had to try, even though my chances were minimal. I basically did it so that I would't have any "what ifs" later. The Director of graduate studies there told me the same thing, that I wasn't really qualified, but that I'll only know for sure if I apply and see.

Applying for an PhD in English in a country where English is not a native language is a bit naive. Except if it's your own country. At least I know now that the world doesn't end if I do get a rejection. It sucks, but it doesn't end. ;)

St Andrews, that was just CRUEL!

I checked my email this morning and had an email from St Andrews. So of course, I got really excited and started to read it. "Following your recent application to St Andrews, we are writing to give you some information about what you can expect to happen over the coming months..."

Not cool! Not cool at all!

Why do they tempt and torture our souls like this?

I'm so glad to not be the only person in Europe around here. The silence of these boards in the morning is painful! I need some sort of distraction from waiting...

I know! The worst thing is that I should be working. I have a deadline tomorrow, and all I do is refresh my e-mail, refresh the forums to see if someone got accepted, and refresh the results page to see if my programs started sending out anything.

And I have a feeling I'm flooding the thread. Am I flooding the thread? Should I shut up already? Sorry, I talk (type) a lot when I'm nervous.

I know! The worst thing is that I should be working. I have a deadline tomorrow, and all I do is refresh my e-mail, refresh the forums to see if someone got accepted, and refresh the results page to see if my programs started sending out anything.

And I have a feeling I'm flooding the thread. Am I flooding the thread? Should I shut up already? Sorry, I talk (type) a lot when I'm nervous.

You aren't the only one, don't worry!

I'm getting a tiny bit of work done, but not much. Definitely not enough. Just keep checking my email...