Dreaming about acceptance/rejection

zoberg

I dreamed that I went to a second-look day at one of my programs and somehow wound up in a class with one of my old bio professors and was bitten on the arm by a poisonous snake. I went to the health center and they sawed a big chunk of flesh out of my forearm with a serrated kitchen knife and wrapped it in a plastic bag. Strangely, it didn't hurt. I woke up to check to make sure I hadn't actually been biting myself in my sleep. Weird, weird dream. I think it was the result of planning to visit 3 schools in the next week and seeing a report on some killer pythons in Florida on the Daily Show last night. My brain synthesized it quite strangely.

:D That's awesome! I love how our brains put random things together in dreams like that - for some reason it's always the weirdest things from a day that make it to the dreams.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah. you asked a few of us to do... let's just say 'things.'

... i'm just kidding.

This application process seems to be winning.

What's really bad is that I thought this commentary was hilarious. The application process is winning alright. I'm losing my mind.

I had my first applications related dream last night!

I was at the dept of my top choice program and a very attractive guy (he was in the program, a year or two ahead of me) was telling me that'd I'd gotten in with a full scholarship.

It was amazing.

I woke up thinking I'd have an email. But I didn't.

I have been given two conditional offers (I need TOEFL scores of 107 and 109 for LSE and Oxford) and I dreamed that I couldnt do it and I took the test like 8 times and I got madder and madder because every time I got lower results than before (in real life I took the test twice and I got 104 the first time and 97 the second)

:shock:

DAMN!!! AFTER ALL THE EFFORT TO BE ACCEPTED I CANT STAND THAT THIS KIND OF THINGS CAN RUIN ALL!!! :(:(:( :cry:

My next TOEFL is next friday! :roll: I guess I will be having this kind of dreams until that day.

Accepted: LSE, Oxford (conditional)

Rejected: Princeton WWS

Waiting: Harvard KSG (what is the matter with you people, why are you taking that long?)

My next TOEFL is next friday! :roll: I guess I will be having this kind of dreams until that day.

Good luck with that gradsh :) I know you can do it! (If I managed to get a 109, I believe almost anyone can)

Remember that while it is indeed a difficult test to take, it has never been impossible! Go for it! and trust yourself :)

What's really bad is that I thought this commentary was hilarious. The application process is winning alright. I'm losing my mind. MDLee

Winning? Sure [i'd say!]

Won? Let's not count cracked eggs (that saying seemss wrong but this application process makes me think everything i say is wrong so...).

Besides, someone once commented how this process is making him/her a better person.

And while I can't say it is doing the same for me right at this moment who is to say i wouldn't wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment in, say, 25 years?

in real life I took the test twice and I got 104 the first time and 97 the second

Good luck on the TOEFL gradsh. Remember: two data points do NOT a trend make.

I got rejected from my second choice school on two days ago and both nights since then I've had graduate school dreams. The first night I dreamed I was back at school (I'm home for spring break now) and I finally got to check my snail mail that's been piling up for a week. The mail box was really full. Once I dug out all the junk mail there were two boxes, a large envelope, and a small envelope in the mailbox. I opened the boxes first--they were full of my application materials, all stamped with "rjctd". Then I opened the big promising envelope, but it was a really long rejection letter explaining all the reasons I wasn't good enough for the program. Then I opened the skinny envelope and found your standard rejection letter. I was upset but not utterly devastated, as that was three schools of rejection and there was nothing from my back up school (where I am currently an undergrad). Then, at the bottom of my mailbox I found a little postcard exactly like the ones my advising office uses to remind us when our appointments are, and it informed me I had been rejected from this last school as well. I completely wigged in the dream and the other people checking their mail around me got seriously annoyed.

Last night I had a dream that I got accepted to Harvard--a letter was delivered to my door in the middle of the night, so no one was awake to share the good news with. So in my dream I went to sleep then woke up the next morning and found the letter still real and waiting. I got everyone together and we had a big party and I just kept saying over and over that I had been afraid it was a dream. Turns out it was!

Basically, I think this process is driving me INSANE. *sigh*

I had one last night, for real this time! I dreamt that I was at NYU on the first day of orientation, hanging out in the department office with the profs and the other new MA students, chatting and talking and having a great time and being thrilled to be there. Then, out of nowhere (like, involuntarily) I said "I'm an atheist." Someone gasped and the entire room instantly fell silent and everyone stared at me. One of the professors said quietly "We have to talk" and he and a couple other profs started rooting through a desk and some file cabinets gathering papers. I walked over to him as conversation in the room tentatively resumed. He muttered angrily "We can't have that in our program." I started to say "What does it have to do with anything?" and he just shook his head and said "We can't have that here. You should have told us this when you applied. You would have saved us all a lot of trouble." They started handing me the papers they were digging out and I saw that it was my application, my FAFSA, copies of e-mails, every scrap of evidence that I'd ever had anything to do with NYU. Then two of the profs grabbed my arms, led me out of the building, shoved me out the front door, and locked it behind me. I was standing there on the street, stack of papers in hand, in total shock because two minutes ago I was starting grad school and all set for the next three years, and now I was locked out of my school and just... standing there on the sidewalk with no plans.

I was already nervous because people are starting to hear back from my program at NYU and I haven't heard yet, so I'm sure that's what caused the dream. I woke up relieved that it didn't really happen, but now I've got this idea in my head that I've been rejected because of something totally random!

About two weeks ago I received notification that I was placed on a waiting list for my second choice university. Last night, I had a dream that my online status changed to reflect an update in my application. There was one note appended to the online application which informed me that I was accepted with minimal funding. The school in question is located at the other end of the country (literally), so I could not accept the offer due to lack of funds. While I was totally devastated in the dream, I took some comfort in knowing that I finally had some closure. For once during this whole application process, I was at peace.

Then I woke up and checked my email... I'm now on the waiting list for my first choice university. Oh, the irony!

I haven't had any acceptance/rejection dreams yet. I did have a dream I was waitlisted at a school though.

But I have had multiple dreams about being on a campus. It was one of those dreams where I felt like I had been there before and I was telling everyone why I love certain buildings, etc. But it isn't a school that I have been to in real life or even seen. So I'm hoping it's a sign that there is a school out there that is the perfect fit that will accept me.