Question about thanking recommenders

scofield24

I plan to buy a thank you card with personal note, along with a small gift ( my school mug/ chocolate) and give to my recommenders to show my appreciation; i applied to quite a few schools and I know the recommenders pretty well.

Would my recommenders be mad if I do this? Of course I will give it to them after they complete all the recommendations, so it shouldn't be a bribe or anything.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!!!

I plan to buy a thank you card with personal note, along with a small gift ( my school mug/ chocolate) and give to my recommenders to show my appreciation; i applied to quite a few schools and I know the recommenders pretty well.

Would my recommenders be mad if I do this? Of course I will give it to them after they complete all the recommendations, so it shouldn't be a bribe or anything.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!!!

Why would they be mad? I think it is standard practice (if not merely common courtesy) to thank those that have taken the time to write these letters for us. Your idea is great! My only suggestion is that since you know these recommenders so well, maybe make the gifts a little more unique to each person. Still, it is the thought that counts. They will be thrilled :)

• 2 weeks later...

I gave my LoR writers a 6-pack of beer. But, you know, after everything was submitted :D

LOL!

OP - I can't see why they would be mad. It sounds like a nice thought. I'm trying to think of some nice token gift ideas for my recommenders myself, especially because one is out of state and another is out of the country, so some serious postage could be involved. I thought of chocolate, but I'm hesitant to get people food these days because there are so many allergies/dietary preferences - you can never be sure. If any of you gradcafe-ers have any ideas, I'd love to hear them!

• 4 weeks later...

I baked cookies for my LOR writers. They seemed to really appreciate them and I was glad I could do something nice for them after they did such an important thing for me by writing my LsOR. 

• 4 weeks later...

I am still trying to figure out what to get my recommenders. One is my adviser, who is very kind, a wonderful mentor and somewhat reminds me of my grandfather. The other is someone I have done research with for nearly two years. She was the first person I met here when I first moved down, two months before my MA program started. She has also been a wonderful mentor, and is very motherly. Whatever I give them I feel has to go beyond a simple gift for writing me a thank you letter, because they have done so much for me over the past two years. I just haven't figured out what to do in order to show my extreme gratitude. 

I wrote them thank you cards and apologized for the incessant emails over the past few months. No gifts because I can't fit them in their mailboxes and hardly see them. Maybe once I get accepted somewhere I will get them a gift.