What Do You Guys Think Of CUNY?

Actually, no one ever asked me my reason for applying to any of the schools I chose. People just assume things, don't they, Snarkystsnarkypants?

I don't refer to the US News rankings at all. In fact, I doubt they even exist for my field. What I call a "top program" is a program considered strong by people in the field, like professors and hiring committees. CUNY has a very strong comparative literature department, in the top 15, and also Gregory Rabassa, who's basically translated every important contemporary Latin American writer. Also it's in NYC, where most of my family and friends are. I'm wondering what other people know about it?

Edited by caw_caw_caw

Also, they dramatically upped their fellowships and decreased their teaching load for FL13 students.

Blah! This was the main reason I'm not applying--funding, or lack thereof. I would consider changing my mind, but it looks like I don't have time since they want hard copies of everything.

Everyone will be funded going forth.

Sad this didn't happen a few years ago! As an international student, I just couldn't apply to CUNY knowing the instability of the funding and the reliance of their students on picking up extra teaching to get through (you're only allowed to work 20 hrs a week on a visa, which I thought could prove untenable). It was already a hugely attractive program, now it can only get even better!

Edited by wreckofthehope

Also, they dramatically upped their fellowships and decreased their teaching load for FL13 students.

This is GREAT news -- thanks for sharing, Trip. I've always loved (everything I've heard about) the CUNY program, but the average funding/teaching/time to degree was always an issue. Really glad to hear it -- and really excited to submit my application this week. Thanks again.

Fall '13 entering students. And the new fellowship is $25,000/yr, 1/1 teaching years 2-4

That is amazing news. Fingers crossed extra hard for everyone applying there this year. (And now I'm kind of wishing I were too?)

Dammit, this was a top choice for me and I was talked out of applying specifically because I was told their funding lacked.

Someone in the other thread said they had their transcripts and GRE scores mailed directly and it was all received (last year). I wonder if it's worth trying to do this last-minute tomorrow...