2013 Applications

• 2 weeks later...
Guest criminologist

I have not applied to any phd programs yet but I will be applying next year, where did you apply and any information about your stats is appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Irvine announces pretty soon- two weeks!!! Kind of a shocker since their app is due on the 15th. Can they really have a wk turnaround time?

How do you know when they will be announcing? I applied there as well....

Results from last year... I'm hoping we hear back today or early next week! I really have my fingers crossed for that program. Really liked it.

I just got an email from them saying they are currently reviewing applications and hadn't received my transcripts (it was a mistake on my part...durr). So...I'm guessing it'll be at least a few days before they start making decisions, although I admittedly don't know how the admissions process works. 

I just got an email from them saying they are currently reviewing applications and hadn't received my transcripts (it was a mistake on my part...durr). So...I'm guessing it'll be at least a few days before they start making decisions, although I admittedly don't know how the admissions process works. 

OMG!!!!!! Glad you got to fix that! My stomach was in knots when I read that you got an email from them.... Seriously.. Irvine has squirmed its way into my little heart.

OMG!!!!!! Glad you got to fix that! My stomach was in knots when I read that you got an email from them.... Seriously.. Irvine has squirmed its way into my little heart.

Imagine how I felt when I saw I had an email from UCI, especially after reading your post that they would be making decisions soon. 

THEN, imagine how I felt when I read that they hadn't even received my transcripts yet. It would take like a week to have them resent! Thankfully, the problem was that I had had them sent to the Social Sciences department, not the Social Ecology department. They were super nice and it got figured out right away, which is surprising late on a Friday afternoon. But...all's well that ends well I guess. 

I have 3 or 4 programs that I'm pretty excited about, and if I get into any of them, I'll be happy. So, once I get that first acceptance, my anxiety will go way down. I'm really not worried about not getting into any program. I almost certainly will because I only applied to programs that were a good fit regardless of rank, but it's just a matter of getting into a program I'm really excited for. 

Did you apply only to Criminology programs? I also applied to sociology programs...

Irvine is the only crim program that I applied to. I know competition has been pretty fierce in the last few years for programs across the spectrum - makes me nervous. I, too, tried to programs that I felt were a good fit. Out of all programs that I applied to I feel that Irvine is the best fit. However, I applied to Am Studies and Anthro programs too. 

I love all of the programs that I applied to but I do have my favorites- NYU and Harvard Am Studies and Irvine crim. I'm hopeful.

I am applying this summer to a couple PHD programs. I wonder how hard it will be to get in if I have a M.A in Criminal Justice from Rutgers  (4th best). Applying to 6 programs sound reasonable?

I think there is one thing we can all agree on- none of us know what programs are really looking for. lolololol

Last year, I got rejected from a masters program where I was a perfect fit only to be accepted to a program where I did not fit. AT. ALL. As in, once I received the acceptance letter I realized that I had accidentally applied to the WRONG program. lol This has led me to believe that there is no rhyme or reason to programs that accept you or not.

This year, I was just outright rejected from a program that has a current student with very similar profile to my own. AND I happened to get an interview from a place I was not expecting to hear from. It's confusing AND exciting!

I applied to 8 programs. I'm sure I'll find a fit somewhere. I'm confident we all will find our place. Just have to wait. I'm really looking forward to hearing back from Irvine. I really like my POI from there. UCI just seems like it would be a good fit.

I've applied to 8 criminology PhD programs. I'd say 6/8 of these programs I disregarded ranking and chose to apply based on program fit alone. The other 2 decisions to apply were influenced by ranking somewhat. I, too, have applied to UCI so it sounds like I'll hear yea/nay from them first. This was one of the programs that I applied to based somewhat on ranking.

Speaking of rankings, US News will be updating their graduate school rankings in "late winter or early spring 2013". This will be welcome information since the current rankings are from 2009. See here: http://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/college-rankings-blog/2012/11/08/graduate-school-rankings-data-collection-begins

I wonder if the rankings will be updated in time to use them in consideration of offers for fall 2013.

Good luck to all of you! I'm sure hoping I'll get an offer to at least one of the schools that I've applied to.

I've applied to 8 criminology PhD programs. I'd say 6/8 of these programs I disregarded ranking and chose to apply based on program fit alone. The other 2 decisions to apply were influenced by ranking somewhat. I, too, have applied to UCI so it sounds like I'll hear yea/nay from them first. This was one of the programs that I applied to based somewhat on ranking.

UCI is the only crim program that I applied to. I applied to it without considering rank at all. I just applied because I've always admired my POIs work. How is UCI ranked anyway? This is probably something that I should know... lol

UCI is the only crim program that I applied to. I applied to it without considering rank at all. I just applied because I've always admired my POIs work. How is UCI ranked anyway? This is probably something that I should know... lol
Tied for #5 in 2009 (U.S. News and World Report) -- link in post above...

Tied for #5 in 2009 (U.S. News and World Report) -- link in post above...

Is 5 pretty low considering that Crim is such a small field? I'm not quite sure what people think of this program in the field. Anyone know?

For what it's worth, the association of doctoral programs in criminology and criminal justice single out the top 5 programs (as rated by US News) for a separate analysis in their annual report.

With that said, in my personal opinion there are some excellent programs that are ranked outside the top 5 by US News. The methodology that US News uses is far from perfect. I had no interest in applying to any of the "top 5" programs with the exception of UCI.

Also, I think it's important to remember that there are other ways of comparing programs. For example, faculty productivity:

http://chronicle.com/stats/productivity/page.php?year=2007&primary=3&secondary=149&bycat=Go

You'll notice that UCI (#5, US News) is not in that top 10 list for faculty productivity whereas the University of South Florida (#22, US News) is ranked #7. A more recent (and thorough) analysis of faculty productivity ranked both Florida State University and Arizona State University as #1 and #5 respectively (compared to #7 and #12 respectively by US News). In short, different ranking methodologies may yield very different results.

Edited by thmp945