PhD in Industrial Engineering/Operations Research Fall 2013

shiraziaseel

Hi,

I got admission in PhD program at Penn State but the email says this admission is granted without financial aid and if any position shows up we will contact you. I am international student and it is impossible for me  to pay that much tuition. I was wondering if the other admitted people got the same admission? has anybody got financial aid from this department this year?

I have heard that they admit some PhD student without funding every year. Do you think there is any chance to get funding in the future?

Hi, Have you heard of UT Austin funding decisions?

I have three acceptances and no funding from any of them !

Hey, no I did not hear from them about funding. After contacting them without a response for weeks, I decided to move forward with ASU. As it turns out, though, given the two areas I am inclined to pursue, which are applied OR and/or Industrial Stats, ASU is probably second only to Georgia Tech in terms of quantity and quality of faculty in both areas.

Anyway, I hope you are able to secure funding from one of them! Best of luck! :)

Edited by efh0888

Has anyone heard back from GATech regarding MS OR applications? I checked the other pages of this thread, but it seems like others are waiting as well.

I'm worried about the fact that their decisions are sent by postal mail. It's already April, and they haven't made a decision about my application. I might not receive the mail in time before the deadlines of other universities (especially since I live overseas), and their all-caps statement on their admissions FAQ is preventing me from e-mailing (see below).

"ANSWER: Admissions decisions are made on a rolling basis - there is no specific date on which all decisions are made. You will receive a letter in the mail at the address you indicated on your application. We do not post decisions on our status checking website nor are they given out by phone or e-mail. You must wait to receive a letter. However, a notation that a "Decision Has Been Made" will appear on Status Checking to alert you to expect a letter by post. IF THIS NOTATION DOES NOT APPEAR, PLEASE DO NOT CALL OR EMAIL -- NO DECISION HAS BEEN MADE. Click on link below.

Denial letters are mailed out directly from the department to which you applied.
No letter is mailed from the institute.

Acceptance letters are mailed from the department and from the institute. Your acceptance is not final until you receive the letter from the institute. Both letters contain valuable information so be certain to read them carefully and follow any instructions contained therein.ANSWER: Admissions decisions are made on a rolling basis - there is no specific date on which all decisions are made. You will receive a letter in the mail at the address you indicated on your application. We do not post decisions on our status checking website nor are they given out by phone or e-mail. You must wait to receive a letter. However, a notation that a "Decision Has Been Made" will appear on Status Checking to alert you to expect a letter by post. IF THIS NOTATION DOES NOT APPEAR, PLEASE DO NOT CALL OR EMAIL -- NO DECISION HAS BEEN MADE. Click on link below.

Denial letters are mailed out directly from the department to which you applied.

Acceptance letters are mailed from the department and from the institute. Your acceptance is not final until you receive the letter from the institute. Both letters contain valuable information so be certain to read them carefully and follow any instructions contained therein."

Is anyone else waiting on GATech as a potential gamechanger in the decision-making process?

Thanks.

Has anyone heard back from GATech regarding MS OR applications? I checked the other pages of this thread, but it seems like others are waiting as well.

I'm worried about the fact that their decisions are sent by postal mail. It's already April, and they haven't made a decision about my application. I might not receive the mail in time before the deadlines of other universities (especially since I live overseas), and their all-caps statement on their admissions FAQ is preventing me from e-mailing (see below).

"ANSWER: Admissions decisions are made on a rolling basis - there is no specific date on which all decisions are made. You will receive a letter in the mail at the address you indicated on your application. We do not post decisions on our status checking website nor are they given out by phone or e-mail. You must wait to receive a letter. However, a notation that a "Decision Has Been Made" will appear on Status Checking to alert you to expect a letter by post. IF THIS NOTATION DOES NOT APPEAR, PLEASE DO NOT CALL OR EMAIL -- NO DECISION HAS BEEN MADE. Click on link below.

Acceptance letters are mailed from the department and from the institute. Your acceptance is not final until you receive the letter from the institute. Both letters contain valuable information so be certain to read them carefully and follow any instructions contained therein.ANSWER: Admissions decisions are made on a rolling basis - there is no specific date on which all decisions are made. You will receive a letter in the mail at the address you indicated on your application. We do not post decisions on our status checking website nor are they given out by phone or e-mail. You must wait to receive a letter. However, a notation that a "Decision Has Been Made" will appear on Status Checking to alert you to expect a letter by post. IF THIS NOTATION DOES NOT APPEAR, PLEASE DO NOT CALL OR EMAIL -- NO DECISION HAS BEEN MADE. Click on link below.

Acceptance letters are mailed from the department and from the institute. Your acceptance is not final until you receive the letter from the institute. Both letters contain valuable information so be certain to read them carefully and follow any instructions contained therein."

Is anyone else waiting on GATech as a potential gamechanger in the decision-making process?

Thanks.

My decision was posted on buzzport. I think the info about receiving postal mail is outdated.

Thanks! Hopefully! Do you have any clue at this point where you will attend?

Looks like it will be NCSU or Virginia, and I'm leaning toward NCSU (contingent upon who I would be working with at NCSU). :)

My decision was posted on buzzport. I think the info about receiving postal mail is outdated.

Thanks. Just to clarify, this is under the Application Status Check option, right?

Ugh, they still haven't made a decision. *sigh*

Thanks. Just to clarify, this is under the Application Status Check option, right?

No!

Decision has another tab named as "Grad Decision" right beside the "Grad Application" lacated above the page. They also update "Current Application Status", the box you may found through "Self Service" in Bozzport.

Edited by behnam1

Looks like it will be NCSU or Virginia, and I'm leaning toward NCSU (contingent upon who I would be working with at NCSU). :)

Great! NCSU has a great program. When I was applying, it was a tough choice between applying to UF or NCSU, but I chose UF mostly because I am from Florida.

Hello,

Please, let me introduce myself,

I am from Iran, sharif university technology.

my application has been  denied by Georgia tech, NCST,....

I have GPA  3.95 (out of 4) or 18.2(out of 20) from Sharif University of Technology.

TOEFL PBT:580

GRE:400(v),700(Q)

Do you have any opinion about the reseaon of my rejections.

when I contacted to faculty(before apppling), they said I have a very  imperessive CV but now I rejected to each university, I am so frustrated.

I appreciate your help in advance 

Hello,

Please, let me introduce myself,

I am from Iran, sharif university technology.

my application has been  denied by Georgia tech, NCST,....

I have GPA  3.95 (out of 4) or 18.2(out of 20) from Sharif University of Technology.

TOEFL PBT:580

GRE:400(v),700(Q)

Do you have any opinion about the reseaon of my rejections.

when I contacted to faculty(before apppling), they said I have a very  imperessive CV but now I rejected to each university, I am so frustrated.

I appreciate your help in advance 

I would think that a 700 QR score on the general GRE would be a difficult for programs to overlook.

Sorry to hear that you didn't get into those programs. :( You could always retake the GRE and try again next year. :)

I would think that a 700 QR score on the general GRE would be a difficult for programs to overlook.

Sorry to hear that you didn't get into those programs. :( You could always retake the GRE and try again next year. :)

Thank you very much for your advice.

I would like to know what are the best books or materials to improve my verbal and quant of GRE to retake this exam.

How can I improve my test results.

I apply to universites after or at deadline.Do you think it is another reason to reject?

I am so confused with my admission refults.

Thanks again for your cooperation.

No!

Decision has another tab named as "Grad Decision" right beside the "Grad Application" lacated above the page. They also update "Current Application Status", the box you may found through "Self Service" in Bozzport.

Oh. I just logged in, and there is still no "Grad Decision" tab. I checked my application status too. I guess they're still not done reviewing it. You applied for the PhD program, right?

Thank you for your help, btw.

Oh. I just logged in, and there is still no "Grad Decision" tab. I checked my application status too. I guess they're still not done reviewing it. You applied for the PhD program, right?

Thank you for your help, btw.

If there is no  "Grad Decision" tab I think they will create this when there is a decision. Yes my application was for PhD . . .

As my signature indicates I have received three admissions but I have received no funding.

So, I may be forced to apply for fall 2014. Now, I have a question: how can I increase my chances for receiving a financial assistant package? Should I contact the faculty before or after submitting my applications? Should I email faculty members and try to convince them to invest on me?

As my signature indicates I have received three admissions but I have received no funding.

So, I may be forced to apply for fall 2014. Now, I have a question: how can I increase my chances for receiving a financial assistant package? Should I contact the faculty before or after submitting my applications? Should I email faculty members and try to convince them to invest on me?

I have acceptances from UT Austin and NCSU too. I have heard of getting assistantship from UT Austin but I have not heard anyone getting assistantship from NCSU. I am not sure but I guess there is a chance that they will offer some more assistantships. Luckily I have two offers but I will wait for their reply as much as possible so I think you should not lose hope. But again, I do not have any certain information.

Firstly, you should never lose your hope. Two years ago in the pretty much the same situation, I received a financial aid package from UT Austin in early May!, which was too late for my case.

Contacting faculty members is a good idea, especially if you have insight on what you want to do, and relevant research experience which may convince a faculty member to give you an RA position.

The other thing that you may want to consider is that if you somehow can afford one semester of your study, you will most probably can find a funding source after a semester or even during the first semester.

Don't give up soon and good luck!

No!

URGH!  I got the "Decision has been made" status last week, but I don't have this "Grad Decision" tab nor a postal letter, either.  This is my first choice school and the suspense is killing me.  Especially since I already had to ask for an extension on making a decision with another school that was offering funding.  I'm applying for a master's, so funding isn't so common and I really don't want to miss out because I'm waiting for other schools to make a decision. 

Is anyone else still waiting to hear from programs? It's 11 days away from the funding acceptance deadline and I have yet to hear from five programs. At one program I have been "under committee review" for over two months and I've received two emails asking me to be patient. :rolleyes:

Is anyone else still waiting to hear from programs? It's 11 days away from the funding acceptance deadline and I have yet to hear from five programs. At one program I have been "under committee review" for over two months and I've received two emails asking me to be patient. :rolleyes:

Are you waiting for Georgia Tech too?

I am waiting on 3 out of 5 schools. I think they are doing it on purpose to see how we handle the stress :) <twitch> <twitch>

Fortunately, I've gotten good news so far, but the 3 I'm waiting on we're my top choices.

Just heard from Virginia Tech yesterday that I was accepted with full funding (half TA, half fellowship)!

33andathirdRPM, are you waiting on Northeastern?  I'm still listed as "Under Committee Review" there and gotten those two "we're delayed" emails there.  Funny thing is, I was invited to a visit weekend there last month and told in an email that I'd been recommended by the department for admission.

I emailed a professor at Northeastern two weeks ago about possible funding, but so far I haven't even gotten an acknowledgement that he received it.  I'm planning to call on Monday and I'm considering saying point-blank, "I have another funded offer I'm seriously considering.  Are you going to be able to fund me or not?"  I'll probably put it nicer than that ...

Just heard from Virginia Tech yesterday that I was accepted with full funding (half TA, half fellowship)!

33andathirdRPM, are you waiting on Northeastern?  I'm still listed as "Under Committee Review" there and gotten those two "we're delayed" emails there.  Funny thing is, I was invited to a visit weekend there last month and told in an email that I'd been recommended by the department for admission.

I emailed a professor at Northeastern two weeks ago about possible funding, but so far I haven't even gotten an acknowledgement that he received it.  I'm planning to call on Monday and I'm considering saying point-blank, "I have another funded offer I'm seriously considering.  Are you going to be able to fund me or not?"  I'll probably put it nicer than that ...

Congratulations on the good news from VaTech :D

Yes, I've received the "please be patient" emails from Northeastern. I will be contacting them early next week to remove me from consideration, though. :) At this point I'm really only waiting to hear back from three schools, and unless they really step up (full funding + liveable stipend) then it's not going to affect my decision at this point.