PhD in Industrial Engineering/Operations Research Fall 2013

shiraziaseel

I emailed them and they said that they will begin to process decisions starting the end of this week. :)

It looks like that my resume was too weak that I have received my rejection earlier than others. Good Luck to all of you . . .

Hi guys,

I'm also applying to several IEOR programs, so finally I came here.

It would be great to share any news with you. First I would like to introduce myself.

Applying for: IEOR Ph.D. or Math Ph.D.

Undergraduate: Asian engineering school
Major: Math + EE
GPA: 3.88, major GPA: 3.90
GRE: Q800(94%), V670(95%), AW3.5(30%)

Work Experience: 2+ years as a programmer

I applied for the following schools: 

Princeton ORFE - Rejected

MIT ORC - Rejected

Stanford MS&E - Rejected

Northwestern IEMS - Rejected

Cornell ORIE 

Michigan IOE - Contacted via E-mail (3/1)

Chicago Math - Rejected

Minnesota Math

NYU Math

Columbia Stat 

Now I'm preparing for an interview with a professor of U of Michigan and since I'm not an IEOR major, I'm pretty nervous about it.

Hope you guys get into nice programs you want!

Edited by jhpark

Best of luck with the U-Mich interview! :)

Thank you 33andathirdRPM!

I will update whatever I get after the interview. It seems like decisions are made slowly in this season :(

Edited by jhpark

It seems the Michigan IOE had already made their decisions(I have talked with my POI several hours earlier). Official email will be sent out soon.(Maybe after their spring break...) 

I have also accepted by the ACO program in Gatech a week ago. It's hard for me to decide which program is better. Does anyone have any idea?

Edited by ryanjyc

Hi,

Some of you might have contacted your institutions of interest and therefore I might get an answer to my question here.

Does someone know when Stanford, Berkeley, Columbia, USC or Virginia Tech will send out their decisions for M.Sc./M.Eng. applicants? Maybe someone has already had an interview?

Hi,

I applied to 9 MS programs in OR/FE/related fields and heard back from a few. Currently, I'm comparing between Columbia MS&E and MIT CDO. Any thoughts? I also created a thread here: 

Thanks!

Check your status if you applied for Stanford MS&E. I got a master offer (from direct PhD application) but probably will decline it. Simply because It's too expensive! ~50k per year

Edited by jhpark

I received an acceptance to Minnesota's ISYE MS program today. However, I have only applied to Ph.D. programs. The only things that may have happened are that I accidentally selected MS instead of Ph.D. on my application (which I highly doubt) or that I have been accepted to the MS instead of the Ph.D. program.

Is there a way to know if a program has accepted an applicant to the MS instead of the Ph.D. program without some communication indicating that?

Edit - Never mind. I went back into my records and I did apply to the Ph.D. program. It appears that I was only accepted into the MS program.

Edited by 33andathirdRPM

I'm almost dying to wait...is there anybody who have heard back from Cornell ORIE or Michigan IOE?

Although it seems like I didn't make the final list but at least I want to hear from them.

Edited by jhpark

Has anyone heard from Virginia Tech at all?  I was invited to the Recruitment Weekend last month, which I was told was an unofficial acceptance, but I'd love to hear something official and I'd really love to hear about funding.

Edited by lpeppersauce

I'm almost dying to wait...is there anybody who have heard back from Cornell ORIE or Michigan IOE?

Although it seems like I didn't make the final list but at least I want to hear from them.

Same boat man.  I am waiting for Cornell and Michigan as well.  A few people have posted that they heve been accepted to Cornell.  That made me really nervours!

But at least you got an interview with Michigan.  So, I think you have a great chance there.  I had a phone interview with Wisconsin Madison and was admitted with funding a few days after that.  I wish Michigan will do the same to you. :)

Same boat man.  I am waiting for Cornell and Michigan as well.  A few people have posted that they heve been accepted to Cornell.  That made me really nervours!

But at least you got an interview with Michigan.  So, I think you have a great chance there.  I had a phone interview with Wisconsin Madison and was admitted with funding a few days after that.  I wish Michigan will do the same to you. :)

I contacted Cornell grad coordinator earlier this week and she said they will send out rejections and waitlist in a week or two. It seems they've made the first round of admission decisions!

After a long line of rejections I received an offer from Austin. What is the quality of this program? If anyone knows something about the department, I will appreciate the sharing of information . . .

After a long line of rejections I received an offer from Austin. What is the quality of this program? If anyone knows something about the department, I will appreciate the sharing of information . . .

I am curious as well... Any thoughts?

I am curious as well... Any thoughts?

They have a pretty good OR program. I'd say they do more classic theoretical operations research. Dave Morton is one of the bests in stochastic programming. and Hasenbein is pretty good in stochastic networks. Their cs,business school, math, and stat departments are very good as well.You should consider that UT Austin is one of the best universities in the US overall. 

Thank you fooBarBaz. You are so sweet! Seriously I hope this story ends with some happy results. I know several people have been admitted to Cornell already but I believe there is still a chance to get in. I asked someone in Michigan and he said they will admit a few (maybe 3 or 4) international students...I should have earned my degree in US.  :(

Anyway, we should hear from them soon. Wish you good luck on your Cornell & Michigan applications  :D

Edited by jhpark

I contacted Cornell grad coordinator earlier this week and she said they will send out rejections and waitlist in a week or two. It seems they've made the first round of admission decisions!

Thanks for the info buddy.  I am now just hoping that they will put me on waitlist...

Thank you fooBarBaz. You are so sweet! Seriously I hope this story ends with some happy results. I know several people have been admitted to Cornell already but I believe there is still a chance to get in. I asked someone in Michigan and he said they will admit a few (maybe 3 or 4) international students...I should have earned my degree in US.  :(

Anyway, we should hear from them soon. Wish you good luck on your Cornell & Michigan applications  :D

Yeah I guess everyone is hoping that this whole waiting thing will end up good.  I know you have good GPA and GRE and stuff, so I believe you will get to a good program. :D 

Behnam, I'm glad that you finally got an offer from a great university. I never dug into the IEOR department of Austin, but I know that Austin is well known as one of the best schools in the US.

Behnam, I'm glad that you finally got an offer from a great university. I never dug into the IEOR department of Austin, but I know that Austin is well known as one of the best schools in the US.

Thank you friend! I am still waiting for better offers specially for something like an offer from Georgia Tech. Anyway Austin is not a bad place to go . . . 

I hope you success in Berkeley . . .

Hello guys,

Has anybody received any email from northwestern saying that they cannot make decisions about them??

Edited by annaa