PhD in Industrial Engineering/Operations Research Fall 2013

shiraziaseel

Hello guys,

Has anybody received any email from northwestern saying that they cannot make decisions about them??

They told me that the decisions were exceptionally hard to make this year, so they sent out some mass rejections and gave a few admissions but left the tough decisions to be made later (by the end of March).

I received the same email, but they said they make decisions in first part of March and after that remaining applicants will be on a waitlist! I hope we both get accepted in the first part of March shiraziaseel!

Still waiting on anything official from Virginia Tech.  Accepted to Northeastern, but no word on funding yet.  I'm leaving this afternoon for a visit, and I'll talk to professors and beg for money while I'm there.  No word on the fellowship I applied for at Rutgers, either.  So, no news, really.

I'm getting very tired of waiting on funding decisions.

I haven't received any first year funding offer from Berkeley yet. There's a high chance that I'll attend USC, but it's just too hard to choose between the Information and Operations Management program of the business school and the ISE program of the engineering school. Please give me your thoughts, right now I can really use every idea of every person that I can get...

I haven't received any first year funding offer from Berkeley yet. There's a high chance that I'll attend USC, but it's just too hard to choose between the Information and Operations Management program of the business school and the ISE program of the engineering school. Please give me your thoughts, right now I can really use every idea of every person that I can get...

Hi shiraziaseel

You should consider your research interests in the first place. I do not know much about the quality of OM program at USC, but ISE at USC is a descent IE program. I would say the main difference would be working on more classic IE/OR projects in ISE rather than working on more theoretical/business analytic motivated projects in business school. You may also consider that you will have much easier work down the road if you want to end up as a faculty member by going to a business school.

Good luck!

Hi all,

Pretty new to this forum..preparing to apply for Fall 2014...currently working on my masters at TAMU...aiming top notch schools as a true foolhardy...so curious about shiraziaseel profile....shiraziaseel would you plz provide us with an extended version of your profile including your background, GPA, research....I just found your info scantily scattered through different posts....since you were among the best achievers this year, it would be taken as a helpful touchstone...  

Hi ppl! Got into Columbia MSOR this week... Considering that I want to pursue a career in analytics, can anyone tell me how good is the program there? Will be glad for info regarding the placements there as its a really expensive program...

Hi all,

Pretty new to this forum..preparing to apply for Fall 2014...currently working on my masters at TAMU...aiming top notch schools as a true foolhardy...so curious about shiraziaseel profile....shiraziaseel would you plz provide us with an extended version of your profile including your background, GPA, research....I just found your info scantily scattered through different posts....since you were among the best achievers this year, it would be taken as a helpful touchstone...  

Sure, I'll be glad to help; and thanks for your kind comments.

Undergrad: BS in Electrical Engineering

School: Well recognized middle eastern school

GPA: equivalent to 3.90

GRE: 170Q 154V 4A

TOEFL IBT: 114

Coursework: kept all my electives closely related to operations research and optimization, and also took several relevant extracurricular graduate courses (20 units).

Research: 3 published conference papers (IEEE), 2 accepted conference papers (IEEE), 1 not-yet-submitted journal paper

Letters of recommendation: one strong research LOR from a known professor in the states (the professor that I wrote the journal paper with, not from my school), one strong research + course LOR from a known Professor, the third LOR was varied.

Hope this helps.

Sure, I'll be glad to help; and thanks for your kind comments.

Undergrad: BS in Electrical Engineering

School: Well recognized middle eastern school

GPA: equivalent to 3.90

GRE: 170Q 154V 4A

TOEFL IBT: 114

Coursework: kept all my electives closely related to operations research and optimization, and also took several relevant extracurricular graduate courses (20 units).

Research: 3 published conference papers (IEEE), 2 accepted conference papers (IEEE), 1 not-yet-submitted journal paper

Letters of recommendation: one strong research LOR from a known professor in the states (the professor that I wrote the journal paper with, not from my school), one strong research + course LOR from a known Professor, the third LOR was varied.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your prompt response...this is awesome...pretty well-deserved.....Are you from Sharif University?

I am new

I am from Iran sharif university

I have appplied to Jeorjia tech,Purdue,...................but my application has been rejected.................... 

I am too sad

Finally heard back from PSU today. Still waitlisted at 6 other schools... Is anyone else waiting to hear back from a lot of programs?

How did you get the decision from PSU. My profile has been updated and says I should contact the program that I have applied to get my application status. I sent an email to the department but I did not get any responses.

I'm still waiting on Virginia Tech and funding from Northeastern.  I called the graduate program director at Virginia Tech and was told that they're aiming to have everything out by April 1st.  I've emailed the POI at Northeastern, but so far no response.

I really hate all this waiting.  Does it seem to you guys that we're hearing later than most programs?

How did you get the decision from PSU. My profile has been updated and says I should contact the program that I have applied to get my application status. I sent an email to the department but I did not get any responses.

I emailed them and four days later I received the rejection via email.

I'm still waiting on Virginia Tech and funding from Northeastern.  I called the graduate program director at Virginia Tech and was told that they're aiming to have everything out by April 1st.  I've emailed the POI at Northeastern, but so far no response.

I really hate all this waiting.  Does it seem to you guys that we're hearing later than most programs?

You might be on a funding waitlist. My application at Northeastern still says "Under Committee Review" for what that's worth. I think everyone is at the "wait and see" point right now. Those who are certain of where they'll be heading should contact their other acceptances so the situation can become more clear for others.

Edited by 33andathirdRPM

I have heard from all programs and have decided to go to ASU! With full funding!  :)

Hi, Have you heard of UT Austin funding decisions?

I have three acceptances and no funding from any of them !

Edited by behnam1

Hi guys!

My UC Berkeley M.Eng (IEOR) application was "recommended" by faculty 3 weeks ago but I haven't received formal admission packet yet. Got invited for "admitted student's visit day" as well. Anyone sailing in the same boat?

The email also said that I need to fill a form by Apr 15th. Admissions office is not responding to emails and phone call goes to voice-mail. This is freaking me out a bit. Please share your UCB experiences.

P.S. Good luck to everyone waiting for their admits and congrats to those who already made it to their respective dream schools!