Interview Etiquette and Tips

DarwinAG

Hey all,

I thought it would be a good idea to pool our experiences and knowledge regarding how to conduct oneself in an interview (I am sure there are threads like this in a different forum, but I wanted to make this psychology specific).

I imagine everyone else is generating questions for themselves and answering it beforehand, which is probably the most sensible thing to do. But is overprepration detrimental you think?

Also, I have read of stories where applicants are hypervigilant because they are constantly being evaluated, and I have heard of others where it feels casual like getting to know someone for the first time.

Here are a few questions I have:

-Overly professional? or Casual? Happy medium? This applies to what to wear and how to conduct onself.

-Does candidness pay off? For example, telling a particular professor that you are not really interested in one part of their research, but would be excited to work on this part of it?

-What to say if they ask you, are we your top choice?

-Darwin

Note: I'm in quant, so my advice may not be applicable... but here's what I know.

-Overly professional? or Casual? Happy medium? This applies to what to wear and how to conduct oneself.

I asked the prof that was coordinating my visit: he said that I should wear whatever makes me comfortable. I went with business casual: dress slacks, a sweater, and designer sneakers. (I don't do heels.)

-Does candidness pay off? For example, telling a particular professor that you are not really interested in one part of their research, but would be excited to work on this part of it?

I don't know about this one. I was asked if I saw myself advancing quant theory. I said that I don't know enough theory to comment on my ability, but I think I'd like to. This seemed to be a very good answer. However, I have no interest in theory. I like applied methods and pedantry.

-What to say if they ask you, are we your top choice?

I wasn't asked this. But I was asked who else I had talked to, where else I was applying, and if I had any other visits planned. I answered those honestly.

I was asked if I were invited to interview weekend, would I attend. I suspect that this was to gauge my interest in the program.

My mentor has told me that I shouldn't tell the program that they were my first choice. He said that I should wait, 'til I had all my funded offers on the table.

A professor who is not my mentor, but who has extensive experience with the grad app process, gave me a similar advice in telling potential schools that "My advisor told me that I should wait to have all the information before I make any decisions."

I spoke to a graduate student today, and he told that it is not just about trying to "sell" yourself as the best candidate, but you should also express that you are shopping around as well. You should somehow express that you have options and that this isn't the only place you're looking into.

Yeah, my advisor told me that the interview is not just them interviewing us, but we should be interviewing them/the program as well to make sure it's a good fit. So I think it's fair to say "I haven't made any decisions yet."

As for dress, I think it depends on the program. I know clinical interviews have a stricter dress code than some of the other fields. The interview I went on last year, we were explicitly told to wear whatever made us comfortable. I wore nice pants, a blouse, a jacket (it was cold!) and flats. Professional-ish but still comfortable.

I spoke with one of my academic mentors about this - she emphasized the "what makes you feel comfortable" part on that. Obviously don't show up in PJs, but she said (as a 'fairly' recent PhD - within the last decade) that if you go to an academic interview already feeling out of sorts, the establishing operation for the interview will be personal discomfort. (She's a behaviorist, if that isn't immediately obvious. :P) It makes sense though - if you feel comfortable and at ease you'll be more likely to make the interviewer(s) comfortable and at ease. As someone who has previously been responsible for hiring in a professional sphere, I can tell you that normally the interviewers are just as discomfited by the general awkwardness of the situation as the interviewee.

Also, +1 to all of the "shopping" comments above - I think as a general rule it's not to go all "You're my only hope, Obi Wan!" on any potential opportunity. Feeling out your interviewer within the first few minutes is probably a good idea... some people really appreciate humor in these contexts, and others aren't thrilled about it at all. Discriminating non-vocal "tone" can have a huge impact. Plus, this is the next 5-6 years of your life, so they should be on review nearly as much as you are, like stereo said above.

As a side note (god I can't shut up), it's a good idea to have some question to pose at the end, even if they are comprehensive at overviews. If you really have no other questions, something personal to the interviewer like-- "What was the reason you personally decided to work for this university; what drew you in?" If it's anything like professional interviews, they /expect/ you to be competent, intelligent and well-spoken... but being thoughtful/insightful can bump you above and beyond others.

I have a tendency to play around with ideas and propose studies during interviews. I think it can often seem I'm just ruminating out loud, but I really just enjoy brainstorming and talking about research. Sometimes, I say an unrefined thought and other timesI get lucky with a pretty good idea. I am not sure if this helps or hurts me, but it's just how I work. I am a firm believer that science should happen out loud and that ideas are refined through dialogue. My question is should I refrain from playing around with ideas and proposing studies during interviews? Or at least limit it?

As a side note (god I can't shut up), it's a good idea to have some question to pose at the end, even if they are comprehensive at overviews. If you really have no other questions, something personal to the interviewer like-- "What was the reason you personally decided to work for this university; what drew you in?" If it's anything like professional interviews, they /expect/ you to be competent, intelligent and well-spoken... but being thoughtful/insightful can bump you above and beyond others.

I really like that question. I think I will include it in my collection of questions.

Found this in polisci.

This is based on experience from six rushes. Any example or issue I raise is from an actual event.

(1) Don't be a jerk. I can tell you this because I am, in fact, a jerk.

(2) Business casual is fine. If you want to add a blazer to your shirt and slacks, that's cool, but don't be a jerk about it. No shiny Ed Hardy shirts.

(3) Ask if you can sit in a class or two. If you do, don't be a jerk in class. You're there to observe, not to interrupt. If the professor asks you a question or something, go ahead and participate, but don't be a jerk about it.

An example on (3). Last year, we had a guy sit in our (highly technical) dynamic modeling class. He happened to sit in the dryest, hardest lecture of the year. So the professor proves a theorem on the board that has us all panting and trembling, and he writes out "for all" on the board in doing so. During break, the prospective student rocks up to the professor and is alike "Hey, why did you write out 'for all' instead of using the upside-down A? That would have been more rigorous.'" Don't be like that. That's jerky.

(4) If you are a jerk when you are drunk, then do not drink too much. If you are fun when you are drunk (but not a fun jerk---there are fun jerks out there), wait until the faculty are gone and then rock the f**k out.

(5) You can ask professors if they're happy at Department X, but don't be a jerk about it. Don't ask if they have a mortgage or anything. That's jerky. If they're unhappy, they'll say so in code. Don't press.

(6) Don't be a jerk on academic grounds. Don't talk down to people. Don't tell people they *need* to read a paper or a book. Don't talk about your own research unless asked. Don't say you published unless it's a real journal. Like, a real journal.

(7) Ask the students the hard questions, but don't be a jerk about it. Ask about their research to get a sense of the training. Don't feign being impressed, but don't get too critical. Ask what they're happy about, what they're unhappy about. Be discriminating-seeming but not critical.

(8) Don't be a jerk about other schools you're considering. Not everything you see at Department X reminds you of something you might see on your pending visit at Department Y. You don't have to rattle off your list all the live-long day; that's jerky. You came to visit and learn more about Department X, so stick to that.

(9) Don't be a jerk about stipends just yet. If you want to ask for more, visit day isn't the day to do it. That's really jerky.

(10) Don't be a jerk with the other visitors. Don't probe them constantly. Don't seem indifferent. If you go to Department X, then these people will be your all-nighter buddies during problem sets; your comp stress empathizers; your idea-bouncers. Don't get that off on the wrong foot.

(11) Seem like somebody that faculty and grad students will want to work with. The best way to do that is to avoid being a jerk.

And no, your offer won't be revoked if you're a jerk. But impressions matter. They matter with potential advisors, with other grad cohortmates you might coauthor with, with older grad students that might offer well-timed advice. You may think you've made it (and you have, and your achievements should be celebrated), but you'll be a lowly first-year soon enough. It's going to be a lot of fun, and you might as well get the experience off on the right foot.

I have a tendency to play around with ideas and propose studies during interviews. I think it can often seem I'm just ruminating out loud, but I really just enjoy brainstorming and talking about research. Sometimes, I say an unrefined thought and other timesI get lucky with a pretty good idea. I am not sure if this helps or hurts me, but it's just how I work. I am a firm believer that science should happen out loud and that ideas are refined through dialogue. My question is should I refrain from playing around with ideas and proposing studies during interviews? Or at least limit it?

I did that during a video chat pre-interview and I think it went over well. I'm just am very clear that this is a small thought I had and I would like the opinion of someone who is more experienced than myself on the matter, and I saved it for one of the questions that I asked at the end. But that is pretty much exactly what I am like too.

My undergrad research adviser had this to say:

"Just be yourself, and when they realize you're not an idiot, you'll be good."

Seriously, he said that. 

I have read of stories where applicants are hypervigilant because they are constantly being evaluated, and I have heard of others where it feels casual like getting to know someone for the first time.

For me it was squarely in the latter category. It didn't even feel like I was being interviewed. It was hard to tell when I was being evaluated vs. when I was being included in a discussion. The whole thing just felt like "let's all get to know each other for two days."

That might be because my department was desperately trying to bring in 10+ PhD students (we're a growing program)...so if anything, they were trying to impress us.

• 2 weeks later...

In addition to the wardrobe question, I was wondering what people bring with them.

Do you bring a copy of your CV/writing sample? Notepad?

Thanks!

I brought my usual school bag with several copies of my CV, a notebook, and writing utensils. I also had my e-reader because I'd downloaded pdfs of manuscripts from the faculty at the school that were sent to me before the interview, but I didn't bring that out.

Regarding pre-interview prep: do you contact students in the program before your interview to pick their brain or do you wait until interview day (knowing that they have allowed for that during your day)? Also, Espresso Shot you mentioned that you had manuscripts from the faculty...did you ask for these so you could brush up on their work before the interview (if so, how did you you go about this---email wording suggestions) or did they just send you the manuscripts as part of their interview process?

Thanks for the help! =)

Regarding pre-interview prep: do you contact students in the program before your interview to pick their brain or do you wait until interview day (knowing that they have allowed for that during your day)? Also, Espresso Shot you mentioned that you had manuscripts from the faculty...did you ask for these so you could brush up on their work before the interview (if so, how did you you go about this---email wording suggestions) or did they just send you the manuscripts as part of their interview process?

Thanks for the help! =)

Smiley. You usually obtain the manuscripts from googlescholar, faculty websites, or some article database (e.g., psychinfo, etc). It is rare for POIs to send you manuscripts they're working on. If you know some of the students already, I'd email them. I actually don't know the etiquette for this.

P.S.

Expresso shot refers to a category that represents the number of post one has (I think). Their actual Username is above that in blue. I think you meant stereopticons.

Smiley. You usually obtain the manuscripts from googlescholar, faculty websites, or some article database (e.g., psychinfo, etc). It is rare for POIs to send you manuscripts they're working on. If you know some of the students already, I'd email them. I actually don't know the etiquette for this.

P.S.

Expresso shot refers to a category that represents the number of post one has (I think). Their actual Username is above that in blue. I think you meant stereopticons.

Yes, typically, I think most people get the from google scholar or psycinfo or other online sources. For this particular school, everyone attending the interview was sent a link to a password protected database with representative publications or in press manuscripts for each of the faculty members in the social area.

I've done a lot of non-grad-school interviews (from both ends), and I want to make two points I think are really important, because I think they probably apply here too:

1) "Wear what makes you comfortable" is good advice, but I would phrase it this way: Wear what makes you feel AWESOME.  "Comfortable" could mean your PJs/sweats -- that's not what we mean.  Wear something that makes you feel like the smartest, best to work with, most awesome bad-A** on the block.  It shouldn't be totally casual -- you want to convey that you're taking the interview seriously -- but it shouldn't be something you are uncomfortable in.

2) The best interviews, without a doubt, are interviews where both parties treat it kind of like a speed date.  The goal isn't just to get an offer, or to get the candidate to accept an offer.  The goal is to find out whether a working relationship between you would be productive, pleasant, and mutually beneficial.  You should try to tone down anything that could be majorly off-putting in a first meeting, the same way you wouldn't tell your speed date that, say, you cry when you're drunk.  But you do want to let them know the real you -- pretending to be something you aren't will only waste time, and could hurt you by: (a) making you seem fake -- believe me, it's easier than you think to tell when someone is pretending to be interested; or (b ) winding you up in a program that's not what you really want.

Edited by Angua

Regarding pre-interview prep: do you contact students in the program before your interview to pick their brain or do you wait until interview day (knowing that they have allowed for that during your day?=)
Definitely feel free to contact students of your POI in advance. Grad students can be a tremendous source of informal information that you might not receive directly from a potential advisor that can make you feel more confident as you approach interview weekend. Some grad students are really helpful; others are non-responsive. It gives you an opportunity to feel out the lab culture indirectly. In my lab, we're very collaborative so as grad students we're highly invested in the interview weekend. This person (or persons) needs to fit our culture and be a strong match in terms of work ethic so we actually spend a lot of time answering questions and sharing information with candidates (if they contact us!). We want them to have a realistic picture of what it would mean for them to be in our lab because no one likes working with an unmotivated, "Debbie downer" personality. And, in our lab at least, we're impressed by the candidates who take the initiative to reach out to us, present themselves as friendly and interested professionals, and ask relevant questions -- nothing sophisticated research-wise, per se, but that demonstrate they understand what's important as an incoming student. Concrete examples would include: describe the lab culture and advisor's style, how often do you meet with your advisor, are there opportunities for interdepartmental collaborations (if this is of interest to you), how big is the subject pool, etc.

I've interviewed at two locations for clinical psychology, and every candidate was formal, ie- business suits, nice shoes, portfolio bags, button down shirts etc. During the reception, business casual was an unwritten rule. They never told us about a dress code. The one person who was more casual (wearing a nice button down, clean well-fitting jeans and dress shoes), stood out, and everyone talked about him the entire weekend and how inappropriate he was. By everyone I mean faculty, staff, grad students and other candidates.

At the same time, when I was just with the graduate students, it was really about getting to know each other and making sure we can work together and spend time together, not just as colleagues, but as friends. They really looked down at candidates that were not social, both during the official dinner reception, and when we went out to dinner on our own casually.

I've interviewed at two locations for clinical psychology, and every candidate was formal, ie- business suits, nice shoes, portfolio bags, button down shirts etc. During the reception, business casual was an unwritten rule. They never told us about a dress code. The one person who was more casual (wearing a nice button down, clean well-fitting jeans and dress shoes), stood out, and everyone talked about him the entire weekend and how inappropriate he was. By everyone I mean faculty, staff, grad students and other candidates.

At the same time, when I was just with the graduate students, it was really about getting to know each other and making sure we can work together and spend time together, not just as colleagues, but as friends. They really looked down at candidates that were not social, both during the official dinner reception, and when we went out to dinner on our own casually.

What about if you are told the diner is supposed to be casual? I was probably going to wear a nice pair of jeans with a professional-ish blouse and the ankle boots I'm wearing with my professional outfit. They specified they wanted professional at the interviews and casual at the diner. Is that code for business casual or are a nice pair (dark wash, no holes etc.) of jeans ok? I believe that at least the entire clinical staff will be there as well as grad students and its supposedly to last until like 10 at night.

What about if you are told the diner is supposed to be casual? I was probably going to wear a nice pair of jeans with a professional-ish blouse and the ankle boots I'm wearing with my professional outfit. They specified they wanted professional at the interviews and casual at the diner. Is that code for business casual or are a nice pair (dark wash, no holes etc.) of jeans ok? I believe that at least the entire clinical staff will be there as well as grad students and its supposedly to last until like 10 at night.

To me, that sounds perfect for "casual."  You still want to look and feel put together, but if they say "casual" and not "business casual," I think jeans are totally fine (maybe even expected).  Sounds like it will be a social event, and you want to look like you take the weekend seriously, but also like you can relax and fit in.  Good luck!

Is it rude to ask if they are going to cover the interview travel expenses? Like flight/hotel?  A POI asked me if I would be able to make a certain date but hasn't offered the official invite yet.  For me, it would be doable, but only if the costs were reimbursed.  Is that an okay response?  Or is it typically assumed they will cover it?

I have two official invites so far- one covers travel, one doesn't. Almost every single school will offer you housing with current grad students, though, so it will just be the flight. You've invested so much money into the process already, that I would just suck it up and buy the flight either way.