signs you've been rejected

mylstisr

Ok, so there've already been some posts about signs that you're about to or have already been rejected. For example, you coming onto here and seeing like seven other people have posted they've been accepted...yet you haven't heard anything.

So I heard that one of my schools is hosting an "acceptance reception" for people who have already been accepted in about two weeks. Does that mean they've already sent out the acceptances and, since I didnt' get anything yet, that I've probably been rejected?

Accepts are usually notified earlier than rejects/waitlists. Unless the admissions are on a rolling basis, it's pretty much over if other people start getting accepted for the specific program.

i'm probably jinxing myself here, but i havent heard a peep and i find it hard to believe i've been rejected straight across the board by 11 programs.

I think the general process goes like this, from earliest to latest:

1) Weed out half or more of the least appealing applicants (possibly notifying them immediately, possibly not)

2) Notify the first round of accepted applicants

(if you're not in either of these groups, you don't hear anything yet)

3) Hear back from the first round admits, find out which ones are going elsewhere

4) Fill those empty slots from the remaining pool of applicants

(This part might take several iterations, as the waitlisters may have already accepted another offer)

5) Notify everyone else of rejection

So if you're in that middle ground between first-round offer and outright rejection, you may not hear anything for a long time, possibly April. That's where I'm at with my first choice right now. It sucks.

The first notifications go to "must-have" and "don't-want" applicants. After that it is a rolling process - everytime a "must-have" goes elsewhere they offer up that spot to someone else. Since THAT person may already have decided on somewhere else as well, this can go on for a while. I have heard of people getting accepted in July. Which must feel great. Really.

Accepts are usually notified earlier than rejects/waitlists. Unless the admissions are on a rolling basis, it's pretty much over if other people start getting accepted for the specific program.

huh?

i went to the "results search" page and checked out the results for my discipline from last year.

assuming the results are accurate, there did not seem to be any greater percentage of rejects vs. admits later in the process (march and april) compared to earlier in the process (january and february).

in other words, it aint over til its over. although after april 15th the odds drop off sharply.

I'm beginning to hear that other people in my program are being accepted to schools I've applied to. I assumed it was slow mailing ;)

While I'd like to think that I'm not rejected by 10 schools...It could happen.

Still...

The fat lady ain't singin' just yet.

but why would they host a reception so early if they haven't finalized their incoming class? i guess they really want to court those "must-haves" huh?

:-(

right now i feel like the girl all the cute guys don't want to dance with and i'm waiting by the wall for someone to come ask me to dance...

but why would they host a reception so early if they haven't finalized their incoming class? i guess they really want to court those "must-haves" huh?

:-(

right now i feel like the girl all the cute guys don't want to dance with and i'm waiting by the wall for someone to come ask me to dance...

sigh. That is EXACTLY how this feels.

Does this mean my chances of receiving acceptance to master's programs after April 1 drop significantly?

Note: They are not my top choices but rather safeties if I don't get into my top choices.

Michigan, Masters programs are sometimes run a little differently...sometimes the Masters side can take until JUNE to make final decisions, so you're still very much in the running regardless. They like to get the PhD stuff out of the way quickly, but they take their time with the Masters students.

UNLV allows apps for Masters programs to come in until the end of May, so it really just depends.

I've only applied to masters programs at the U's of Chicago, Toronto and Wisconsin. Right now, I'm TERRIFIED that I stand no chance. I have heard nothing. Others have heard of rejection at Chicago; I'm not sure about acceptance in my program. Wisconsin and Toronto Comp Lit seem to take their sweet time, but still, this incessant waiting is really getting to me.

Rant over.

I'm right there with all of you. I'm in the midst of what I think is the biggest depression of my life. I don't think I can look forwards to ever doing something like this again. I can't bring myself to write up my resume though; the defeat is near but so far away yet (or so I hope!). I don't know what my chances are right now but I am so hoping I get in somewhere.

*Shudder*

I'm right there with all of you. I'm in the midst of what I think is the biggest depression of my life. I don't think I can look forwards to ever doing something like this again. I can't bring myself to write up my resume though; the defeat is near but so far away yet (or so I hope!). I don't know what my chances are right now but I am so hoping I get in somewhere.

*Shudder*

ugh welcome to my world :?

*Shudder*

i totally agree with you girl. this has been one of the hardest experiences for my self esteem. it's tearing my boyfriend and i apart and i am deeply depressed about the whole situation.

ugh welcome to my world :?

Yeah, I hear you guys. This is actually my second go at grad school, so the emotional stakes are pretty high for me, as I think I won't bother applying again if I don't get in anywhere this time. The application process is so expensive and time-consuming. I'm starting to ease myself into the realization that my life may be taking a completely different course than I had planned on it taking, and starting to brainstorm about what this other grad school-less path might be. Any suggestions welcome. :(

While I have (or think I have) a better chance at a couple of the schools I'm still waiting to hear from...the simple fact that I'm still waiting to hear from them strikes a pretty sizeable blow to that theory. So I'm already job-hunting in an attempt to acclimate myself to the worst-case scenario of across-the-board rejections...and in a small way, it's actually making me feel a little better. Sort of like, "well, if I do get rejected everywhere, at least I've already started to deal with it, both practically and emotionally..."

• 4 years later...

*Shudder*

I've shared with my friend that I'd rather experience the pain of child labor than to apply for grad school. But let's not give up! Getting in isn't even the hard part. 

I've shared with my friend that I'd rather experience the pain of child labor than to apply for grad school. But let's not give up! Getting in isn't even the hard part. 

My PI said that applying to grad school was one of the most hard/scary things she's gone through which is up there with her father dying and her husband getting cancer (he's ok now!).

Hang in there! Just a few more weeks before we should have a better idea of where we're going this fall!