How did you go about preparing for the GRE?

10thomer

Does anyone who has taken the GRE have any words of advice as far as preparation goes? If you did well, how did you prepare? If you did not meet your expectations, what would you do differently? Any information would be much appreciated! Thanks!

The main thing: practice tests on the computer.  Get yourself acquainted with and prepare for the testing format.  I think ETS provides one or two practice tests for free.  I also did a free one from the Princeton Review and I bought a Kaplan book that came with five online practice tests.  I also bought flashcards for vocabulary and used the Kaplan book for quantitative and analytical writing strategies.

I did the powerprep and princeton review tests. I also drilled the princeton review vocab list, which I thought was super useful for the actual test. I studied the princeton review strategies, and while I thought the tips for the verbal section were useful, if I were to do it again I would use another resource for reviewing math. I was reasonably satisfied with my scores: 164Q 166V 4.0AW (didn't practice writing at all).

Practice on the computer (pay for a CD or other program), simulating the conditions of the actual test as much as possible. Start as early as possible and practice as often as you can, until you are totally comfortable answering GRE type questions.

I was very happy with my scores for Q and V. However, my AW could've been higher. For AW, practice typing as fast as you can and write A LOT (4-6 paragraphs for the issue essay). I wish I had practiced the writing sections more. 

People have already given good advice for long-term strategies, so I'll give some tips for the day of the test itself.

First of all, the Princeton Review book suggests that you do practice GRE problems the morning of the test as a warm-up. I didn't do GRE problems the morning-of, but I did do some logic puzzles to pass the time on the 1.5 hour bus ride to the test center (free Kindle games are great!). I think doing that definitely helped me to focus and get into the right mindset. I really, really like solving puzzles, so by playing puzzle games, I was able to convince myself that the GRE was just more puzzle-solving. By the time I started the test, I was actually really excited about the "game" I was about to play (and of course I wanted to win).

Second, the GRE has built-in breaks, but if you need longer, you can use the instructions screen for each section as a sort of bonus time to mentally prepare. Basically, before each section, they will give you a screen of instructions on how to do that section. If you found the previous break was too short, just stay on that page and don't start the section yet. I suppose it's possible it will eventually time out and auto-advance (I didn't test it), but I know at the very least it will give you an extra few minutes. Also, maybe I'm weird, but I found it comforting to read the instructions multiple times, even if I'd encountered that type of section before, because it gave me a "nothing I'm about to see will be unexpected, I can do this" sort of confidence. Hah, okay, I'm pretty sure I'm just weird.

Finally, don't get discouraged by tough sections! I know it's easier said than done, but keep in mind that it's entirely possible that the tough section is experimental and isn't going to affect your score at all. My very first section was a super brutal quant section, and I was sure I was doing horribly. The next quant section I hit was way easier, and because the test is adaptive by section, I was convinced that I had been put into a lower score band. Then I hit a third quant section, which was also fairly easy, and it occured to me that the hard one might've been experimental. Don't let a possible experimental section stress you out and cause you to lose confidence!

For the record, my scores were 165V, 170Q, 4.0AW. Hope these help at least a little, and good luck!!!

I used Kaplan's main overall book, Kaplan's Math book, Barron's Math book, and the ETS official guide.... Among those, I found the ETS Guide to be the most helpful. 

I took all the practice tests in these books, and worked every quant problem available, but didn't study verbal at all. I used the ETS Powerprep software for 2 practice tests and also did a free practice test on Princeton Review. 

I spent about a month studying, but really only focused intensely for about a week, which was 2 weeks before the test. I took off from studying the 3 days before it to keep from psyching myself out. 

I scored 158V, 161Q, and 4.0 writing.... Overall I'm OK with my scores, I didn't care all that much about my verbal score going in, so long as I got it above 150, so I was happy with a 158....  but I really needed a >160 on Quant, which I achieved. So overall, I did what I needed. 

I got a 5 first time, 5.5 on my other try for the analytical. Tips: read the essay topics ahead of time (they're on the ets page), make an outline ahead of time, use keywords, write out as many ideas to support your statement as possible, write as much as you can.

Make an outline ahead of time so that you can base your essay around it. This really cuts down on the amount of time you use preparing for your essay. After you get your topic, you'll only have to write down 4-5 main ideas. I managed to have 5 or 6 paragraphs and around 5 minutes to proofread because I memorized what I was going to write ahead of time.

Issue tips: Use a mix of concrete example, scientific, use personal experience, ANY example you can think of. The big idea here is to think of as many as you can, try for 4-5. The ideas don't have to be amazing, the idea here is to just write down as many as you can think of. What really helped me was to go down the pool of topics and to just think: Am I for/against? What are 3 reasons? What is one counter argument? On test day, I had already seen the topic, and had 3 main ideas. The topics cover the same issues, they're just worded differently. *Use key words. It's graded by a computer so it will pick up on the words you use to piece out your essay. Use words like: I strongly disagree/agree, counter argument, example of, (repeat words from the topic they give you), in conclusion. Using lots of transitional words, or words that are traditionally used in very rigid essay writing will help. A computer won't really be able to tell if you elegantly explained your issue.  It's not going to appreciate your long thought out metaphors. Spend time on developing as many ideas as you can.

Outline: I agree/disagree. This is why (list a very brief summary of your main points). Then outline your main points in the following 3-4 paragraphs, have at least 3-4 sentences in each paragraph. I had some really, really cheesy reasons. It didn't matter, they were still ideas! Then in another paragraph write what one counter argument could be, and why that would be wrong. <----- I think that is what made mine different. Then in your conclusion just make a short summary. The order I wrote it in was introduction, main idea sentence for each paragraph (didn't fill it in), one counter argument sentence (didn't fill it in), then the conclusion. That way if I ran out of time, at least they could see where I was headed. 

Analyze tips: Go through the topic pool and think of at least 3-4 holes that argument has, then one way to improve/alternative to what the author is suggesting. It's easier to pick apart why an argument is weak, but why it will still work. Do not put anything person into this essay. Don't put "I think that... "

Outline: P#1 (Introduction) This argument is a valid one, but has many holes that weaken _____. There are many ways that _____ could strengthen their argument ... some ways are.. P# 2-4 Then list as many holes in the argument that you can think of. P # 5Write a paragraph about alternatives to the argument, and ways they could improve. P # 6 Then write your conclusion summarizing these.

If you've already gone through the pool of issues, and in your head thought of a couple of reasons for/against... or holes in the argument/ways to improve, and have an outline of an introduction, you really will have enough time for 5-6 paragraphs. Practice with the topics they give you (which are the SAME ones on the test!!), you might even get the same one on test day. (This happened to me for one of the essays.) Make sure you time yourself.

I hope this helps!

I would recommend taking TIMED practice tests on the computer as much as possible, especially for whatever section you feel weakest in. On test day for the math section (my weakness), I was literally finalizing answers, on the verge of tears, as the timer counted down the last 5 seconds. I still did fine for my purposes (161Q), but I wished I had tried to master the computer format a bit more, especially the computer calculator.

I found the verbal section to be a lot easier on the actual GRE than it had been on the practice tests. I don't know if I just lucked out, but I think I only encountered two or three words where I wasn't 100% sure of the definition. This is not because I memorized 7000 vocab words. They just seemed to be a lot more reasonable on test day ('copious', 'aberrant') than on the practice tests ('pulchritudinous', 'desuetude'). The practice tests made me feel like I was peforming at a 3rd grade reading level!

Finally -  just FYI, your testing facility should provide lockers with locks where you can store all of your 'contraband' while you take your test. Getting the email telling me I couldn't bring my cell phone or food into the testing facility made me freak out. But that doesn't mean you have to leave that stuff at home - they actually just meant I couldn't bring it into the actual testing room. During your break, you are allowed to go to your locker and get a snack if you choose (but NOT check your cell phone, of course).

My biggest piece of advice is: don't let the internet panic you!

I read loads of people's experiences with the revision, and with the test and in the end discovered that it's a very personal experience. For example, some revision books work better for some than others. Some will say that Maths is the same you did at school, whilst some will say it's insanely hard. Some will find one vocab list great, others useless.

Basically, I echo what has been said here and advise anyone to get a hold of a few different revision books. Between them you will find sections that help you. I used Princeton and ETS, and Kaplan flashcards. For me, the flashcards were great, the Princeton vocab/analytical part was good and the ETS maths was the best. Whichever you choose (previous posters have some good suggestions) - these are definitely the best way to prep!

I spent about 2 months revising, mainly on the quant stuff (since I'm a Humanities grad). I also practiced the AW... not a huge amount, but enough to get my brain very familiar with the type of questions asked and to get myself used to answering each with a very similar plan. I think I probably practice planned 10, and practice wrote 5-8 in the fortnight before the test.

This is personal preference, but I wouldn't revise on the morning before test. Relax, switch your brain off and wake yourself up about 30 mins before going in! :)

V 170 / Q 157 / AW 5.5

For verbal, I grabbed a verbal workbook from Kaplan. For math, I used a math GRE workbook from Mcgraw-Hill, although this book was a little on the easy side for me. I also had a  Barron's general GRE book, which I highly recommend. The math in this book is a little harder than the math on the actual test, so if you can conquer the math in this book, you will be fine. About a month before the test, I also picked up Kaplan's new GRE book with the online content, which I recommend. The book contained a good amount of questions per section. The computer program was what really sold it for me. There were ten verbal sections, ten math sections, and then five full length practice tests, as well as a diagnostic test. While not identical, the online program for the Kaplan program is similar to the ETS software, so you will feel more confident on the computer come test day. The only thing I will say is that you may want to ignore the analytical writing topics on the Kaplan program or any book. ETS has so gracioulsy put up all essay topics on their website, and you should focus on those. The books are good for explaining how to write the essays, but if ETS is giving you the topics, you shoudl practice those. A lot of the essays are just variations of each other. I also took one ETS practice test before I began studying, and another when I felt I had studied enough. This is what my study schedule looked like for about 6 weeks:

Monday - Math Workbook

Tuesday - Verbal Workbook

Wednesday - Math Barron's

Thursday - Verbal Workbook

Friday - AW writing, at least 5 essays

Saturday - Kaplan practice test
Sunday - Kaplan Verbal and Math 20 question sections

I studied vocab on my commute to and from work, about an hour commute each way. Good luck to you!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

To prepare for GRE exam You must have Study guides  which includes  MCQ queestions ,sample papers and practice papers.I would

recommend you  for  GRE Study Guides.A Complete GRE Graduate Record Examination study guide  includes sample questions, test tips and a complete study plan prepared by a team of expert

Edited by pawank