Emails from POIs - unusual situation

kokoschka

Hello all -

I hope someone can give me some advice on a fairly unusual situation. I applied to PhD programs in Art History in LA and in NYC, where I am currently based. My applications were geographically specific because I am in a band that has achieved a fair amount of success over the past two years. By no means mainstream top 40, but a familiar name in certain circles (read: among Brooklyn 20-somethings). I did not mention the band anywhere on my application, because I thought it would be a nonissue, as we only tour during the summer, and as I have so far been able to balance school with my other commitments. Since I started my apps and made this decision, we've had some more commercial success, and one song in particular has been featured on a few TV shows, which has raised our overall profile and standing in Google search results. These past few days, I've received emails from POIs asking if I am the same XYZ (my name is uncommon) from the band XYZ. I'm guessing they Googled me? It seems unlikely that they recognized my name.

So, what do I do? I obviously can't lie, and don't want to. But I want to make it clear that I am capable and committed to the PhD track. Does this put me at an advantage or a disadvantage? Help! Panicked, and need to reply to these emails sooner than later...

my two cents... just be honest and keep it short and sweet -- I wouldn't go into the details of performing during the summer, etc.  Something to the effect of: "... indeed, that's me... and I want to take this opportunity to reiterate my commitment to full-time graduate study...."

good luck (and indeed, that is an unusual situation)

Can you make some link from the band to your studies? I'm thinking like: "Yes, that's me. I've been singing/playing with them for a few years - since I was a freshman (or whatever).  It's a hobby I really enjoy, and it's even given me the opportunity to _____. Thanks for asking!"  Where you fill in the blank with something related to your field, like visiting a particular gallery or exhibit while on tour?

I would respond that it is, indeed, you. Unless they ask anything further, I wouldn't volunteer anything more. What you do in your free time (summer) is your business. Although it would be amazing if you could connect your band to your studies, as Angua suggests, I don't think you should stretch the truth to do so. I'm sure there are tons of us who have completely unrelated hobbies, and since you are applying to grad school, I'm guessing that you see the band as more of a hobby (albeit a possibly lucrative one that may or may not involve more of a time commitment than, say, knitting). And it's highly likely that you've been Googled. My hits on Linked In and Academia.edu have been crazy since I began the application process, so I think Googling is more common than we all anticipated. 

I agree with Bearcat-- I don't think you need to defend yourself, especially if you give a timeframe (I've been with the band since 20xx...) and your transcript/application shows the strength of your work during that time. But since it influenced your decision as to where to apply, you could probably mention that somehow while sounding genuine (I visit LA frequently with the band, and am familiar with the vibrant arts community there...).

Now I am dying with curiosity as to who you are. I haven't lived in Brooklyn in a while, but I keep up with the music scene as much as I can!