Harvard Kennedy School Admissions

pete-mc

Apologies, I meant MPP/MPA-ID. It looks like MPA2 was the second day last year, and MC-MPA the third.

And sorry, didn't see the PhD in the results search earlier this month.

This seems like as good an excuse as any to drink on a Monday night! I'm sitting here in the UK waiting on a decision on MPP. As an international student already got a scholarship thankfully.

Do we think there will be MPP decisions tomorrow then?

This seems like as good an excuse as any to drink on a Monday night! I'm sitting here in the UK waiting on a decision on MPP. As an international student already got a scholarship thankfully.

Do we think there will be MPP decisions tomorrow then?

Yes I think tomorrow or Wednesday. Which scholarship did you obtain?

@PJM I've been offered a Frank Knox Fellowship which pays tutition and living costs for the two years. Just stated a great new job in non-profit sector last week (applied for it last November-was perfect for me couldn't not Go for it notwithstanding this application!) so it's an emotional cushion if I don't get in.

What decision are you waiting on? Got funding sorted?

Just my two cents as a foreign observer, for my undergrad degree in Scotland, the government pays everyone's fees and I got £500 per month to live on. It's quite something to think about all the debt you guys have to get into in the states.

Harvard. That's it, just Harvard. Didn't apply anywhere else as I really want to attend HKS. That says something about the value I place on it, but also the anxiety of the waiting process.

I don't expect it would alter my earning potential per se (I've already left a very lucrative career in the private sector to join the public sector), but it would certainly alter how far my public sector trajectory will advance in the long term. It's very much a qualitative, long-run investment, and merely putting a salary number on it wouldn't quite capture the value I place on the degree fitting in with my career vision. For that reason, debt or no debt, I would go in a heartbeat if accepted.

Harvard. That's it, just Harvard. Didn't apply anywhere else as I really want to attend HKS. That says something about the value I place on it, but also the anxiety of the waiting process.

I don't expect it would alter my earning potential per se (I've already left a very lucrative career in the private sector to join the public sector), but it would certainly alter how far my public sector trajectory will advance in the long term. It's very much a qualitative, long-run investment, and merely putting a salary number on it wouldn't quite capture the value I place on the degree fitting in with my career vision. For that reason, debt or no debt, I would go in a heartbeat if accepted.

I'm right there with you, Bro (or Sis). I will be making some big financial sacrifices to follow my dream and HKS is the only program that will benefit me enough to put my dream on hold for two more years.

@PJM I've been offered a Frank Knox Fellowship which pays tutition and living costs for the two years. Just stated a great new job in non-profit sector last week (applied for it last November-was perfect for me couldn't not Go for it notwithstanding this application!) so it's an emotional cushion if I don't get in.

Just my two cents as a foreign observer, for my undergrad degree in Scotland, the government pays everyone's fees and I got £500 per month to live on. It's quite something to think about all the debt you guys have to get into in the states.

Wow that's very impressive, I thought it was only for Australian nationals?

I applied for the Dubin, Gleitsman, and other fellowships at Harvard. Loans etc are not an option for me, that's the deal I have with my wife to go back to grad school (just recently paid off my college and grad school debt).

If anyone logs into their Sparks account and sees the New Admit tab, can you please let us know.

In the past years it sometimes appeared prior to the admissions decision being sent out.

If anyone logs into their Sparks account and sees the New Admit tab, can you please let us know.

In the past years it sometimes appeared prior to the admissions decision being sent out.

I don't see one. Now I regret checking! Where did you get this info?

I don't see one. Now I regret checking! Where did you get this info?

Admitted students posted it here on the forum. It was not the norm, but did occur in some cases.

This admitted MPP student posted his stats last year. LinkedIn profile for more info: http://www.linkedin.com/in/gautamkamath

HKS Public Policy, Masters (F12) Accepted via E-mail on 13 Mar 2012 I 27 Mar 2012
  • What are the odds for financial aid? Anyone? MBA grad from National Taiwan University, with undergrad in Maastricht University in Law and Public Policy. Worked for 2 years in NGO/UN internships, 2 years as a banker...strong corporate and NGO rec....average GMAT (690)..but unique international profile

That latest admissions blog makes me think they've been getting harassed a bit by people wanting to know when they're releasing results...

I would not say "harassed". Look at other major PP schools. They either set a date or have already released decisions.

Sipa for instance had a late App. DL. of 5-Feb and will be releasing decisions from 18-Mar on. That's a mere 6 weeks processing time.

Now explain to me why Hks needs almost 4 months and can't even specify a release date? To me that's not harassment, but exposing incompetence.

As a comparison, let's look inside Harvard.

Application deadline: HKS/30 Nov, HBS/07 Jan (R2)

Standard interviews: HKS/No, HBS/11 Feb-08 Mar

Number of applications: HKS/ ca. 2000, HBS/ca. 9000

Application decisions: HKS/ca. 15-29 Mar, HBS/27 Mar

-> Summary: HKS has an application deadline over 1 month in advance of HBS; HBS has more than 4x the number of applications; HKS conducts no standard interviews; but HKS ends up notifying candidates around SAME time as HBS !!

As a comparison, let's look inside Harvard.

Application deadline: HKS/30 Nov, HBS/07 Jan (R2)

Standard interviews: HKS/No, HBS/11 Feb-08 Mar

Number of applications: HKS/ ca. 2000, HBS/ca. 9000

Application decisions: HKS/ca. 15-29 Mar, HBS/27 Mar

-> Summary: HKS has an application deadline over 1 month in advance of HBS; HBS has more than 4x the number of applications; HKS conducts no standard interviews; but HKS ends up notifying candidates around SAME time as HBS !!

I would argue that HBS likely has significantly more staff than HKS.

It still is really ridiculous that they can't even bother to give us a date. That blog post was kind of jerky.

I would argue that HBS likely has significantly more staff than HKS.

It still is really ridiculous that they can't even bother to give us a date. That blog post was kind of jerky.

Yes, I would strongly urge HKS to look at Chicago Harris etc. who do a better job (than in previous years) in keeping their "future" alumni updated.

'Our goal is to release decisions over the next two weeks, but because the process is more like an art than a science, I cannot publish particular dates.'

Are you kidding me? Really? Yuck...

As a current HKS student, I am embarrassed by some of the stuff I have read on that admissions blog. Ignoring the slow pace of the Adcomm, some of the content does not paint a flattering picture of  HKS. From the overly dramatic post about being disappointed over not being updated by someone who he helped (he even writes he is unsure whether it is an appropriate topic to write about) to the cliche talk about getting rejected from the Peace Corp but getting to teach in Korea, I think it would be better if the blog focused more on current students instead of him trying to give contrite life lessons to fully grown adults. Also, it really makes me cringe when I read stuff like the process being an art. They need to understand that things like the admissions blog and their pace leaves a huge impression on potential applicants. I know personally that things like that swayed me when I had to decide between schools. 

I'm trying to be optimistic about waiting two more weeks. The way I see it, I prefer not to wait but don't mind the "big picture" approach the cttee seems to be taking if it means that those who do get admitted will benefit from a well-rounded class. Still, the clock is ticking veeeeeeeery slowly these days. My e-mail inbox might just break down from overuse ;)

The post above gave me some comfort. That guy has a very similar profile to mine (I speak five languages, did public sector internships early on, have almost 3 years in private practice, and am now in a staff position at a major intl org); my GMAT-equivalent score was higher (740; actual GRE 170V/159Q/5.5AW) but I'm sure my undergrad grades are lower because I had to work full time. I hope the higher grades I got in my subsequent degrees can mitigate this fact, but I have no idea how the admissions committee will view my profile.

I guess you never know until you know. I just can't shake the thought that my application might be one of the ones being taken in and out of the excel sheet the blog mentions...but as some of us discussed yesterday, there is no point in conjecturing about what we cannot know. Fingers crossed, and onwards we go!

Best of luck everyone!

I don't think you have anything to worry about based on your profile.

As a current HKS student, I am embarrassed by some of the stuff I have read on that admissions blog. Ignoring the slow pace of the Adcomm, some of the content does not paint a flattering picture of  HKS. From the overly dramatic post about being disappointed over not being updated by someone who he helped (he even writes he is unsure whether it is an appropriate topic to write about) to the cliche talk about getting rejected from the Peace Corp but getting to teach in Korea, I think it would be better if the blog focused more on current students instead of him trying to give contrite life lessons to fully grown adults. Also, it really makes me cringe when I read stuff like the process being an art. They need to understand that things like the admissions blog and their pace leaves a huge impression on potential applicants. I know personally that things like that swayed me when I had to decide between schools. 

Talk about overly dramatic... it's just a blog. Matt Clemons is extremely nice and helpful in-person, and I get the same impression from his blog posts. He's just trying to keep applicants upbeat, not give them "contrite life lessons." I'm glad he tries to update the blog at least once a day, and he does it because he knows applicants are dying for even the tiniest shred of information. I think it paints a good picture, especially compared to SIPA's blog, for example, which often doesn't even bother capitalizing sentences. As someone who's supposedly at HBS and on a fellowship to attend HKS, you seem to spend an inordinate amount of time smearing the school on this forum. Don't you have anything better to do than make applicants feel bad? One would think you'd be busy working on two Harvard degrees and not spending your time reading the admissions blog for a school you're being paid to attend (again, supposedly).

Edited by soapwater

Someone posted in the SAIS subforum interesting admissions stats.

Have gone through that website (Japanese) and found following admissions stats on HKS.

MPP: 21.05%

(http://www.ryugaku.com/graddb/home/data/id/38307)

MPA/ID: 25.88%

(http://www.ryugaku.com/graddb/home/data/id/128679)

MC/MPA: 46.77%

(http://www.ryugaku.com/graddb/home/data/id/30619)

MPA2: 61.64%

(http://www.ryugaku.com/graddb/home/data/id/38301)

Forgot to mention, the figures are for 2011.

Edited by PJM

We can spin this further since additional info was provided on that website.

I calculated following stats from those given numbers AND the class size figures mentioned in the HKS emplyoment report, 2011.

Number of applicants - admitted students (admissions rate) - enrolled students (estimated yield):

MPP: 1753 - 369 (21%) - 179 (49%)

MPA/ID: 371 - 96 (26%) - 58 (60%)

MC/MPA: 603 - 282 (47%) - 173 (61%)

MPA2: 159 - 98 (62%) - 96 (98% -> this figure seems a bit off?)

Total HKS applicants: 2886, of which are:

MPP: 61%

MPA/ID: 13%

MC/MPA: 21%

MPA2: 5%

We can spin this further since additional info was provided on that website.

I calculated following stats from those given numbers AND the class size figures mentioned in the HKS emplyoment report, 2011.

Number of applicants - admitted students (admissions rate) - enrolled students (estimated yield):

MPP: 1753 - 369 (21%) - 179 (49%)

MPA/ID: 371 - 96 (26%) - 58 (60%)

MC/MPA: 603 - 282 (47%) - 173 (61%)

MPA2: 159 - 98 (62%) - 96 (98% -> this figure seems a bit off?)

Total HKS applicants: 2886, of which are:

MPP: 61%

MPA/ID: 13%

MC/MPA: 21%

MPA2: 5%

Thanks for compiling these, although the numbers do seem a bit off/strange compared to previous years. For example, compared to an increase of 5% in applicants from 2009-2010 for the MPP, 2011 increased by only 13 people (or 0.75%) according to this. That doesn't seem quite right considering public policy programs have been attracting more and more applicants each year pretty consistently, but maybe they've reached an apex.

Edited by soapwater