Acceptance Freakout Thread

I honestly don't feel envious or put out. I want mine TOO but, well, I knew going in that might not happen and that I would absolutely need to be ok with that possibility. I didn't allow myself to start the process until I felt confident I could be very positive and ok with it. I also have not unappealing back-up plans, discussed the possibility of reapplication with my mentors, and a pretty great support network.

Anyway, I am especially thrilled for the Wisconsin admits because I do know what it is like to want in there. Madison seems cool and I can only imagine how happy you all must be!

That's not what I'm saying. The point of being competitive isn't wishing other people will fail, it's wanting to be BETTER than other people. That means pushing yourself and feeling badly when you don't measure up. It means striving for excellence and not being satisfied with mediocrity. It means that if someone else gets into a place that you don't get into, you feel envious of them because YOU WANT TO BE BETTER, not because you want them to be worse. I'm pretty sure you have to have that kind of drive to make it in academia. At the very least, it really helps.

I am competitive with myself and I am constantly pushing and assessing my own limits and strengths. I also try to operate collectively as much as possible because that is where I draw my good qualities from. I have no interest in being "better than other people" but I know many people who do feel that way, and that's cool, especially if it drives them to whatever they define as success. More power to...

I am competitive with myself and I am constantly pushing and assessing my own limits and strengths. I also try to operate collectively as much as possible because that is where I draw my good qualities from. I have no interest in being "better than other people" but I know many people who do feel that way, and that's cool, especially if it drives them to whatever they define as success. More power to...

Since the conversation is still going, this confuses the heck out of me. If I want others to do well, presumably this is because I appreciate a shared element of self with the other. Thus, of course I would want to be better than others precisely because this entails "constantly pushing and assessing my own limits and strengths." Unless, of course, we are assuming that all are fundamentally alienated from self and other and that this alienation consists of a solid divide and not a perforated one... Perhaps history really is over.

Edit: Bluecheese is killing it this season! Sweet!

Edited by StephanieDelacour

Wow congrats to all the Madison admits! I didn't apply, but a friend did so I'm still holding out hope for her.

As for the conversation, I think I'd fall directly in the middle of most of what people have said. I'm always happy for my fellow applicants because I know how difficult this is for all of us. At the same time, if I found out that I was one admit away from acceptance (which did happen to me last year) and I internet knew some who were in the group who "took" my admit, I'd be pretty bitter. I wouldn't blame them, and deep down I'd know it's my fault for a less than amazing application, but I'd still be bitter. In the end, I think it has to do with how much you know about your rejection; if I didn't know how close I had gotten, I wouldn't have to be upset and I could just be altruistically happy for everyone else.

For anyone applying to the Texas Tech Ph.D., I emailed the graduate director and he sent me my waitlist letter, which says acceptances and rejections have gone out.  Apparently, funding is extremely competitive this year and they have a policy in place about not offering admission to anyone who they cannot promise full funding for five years.  It's a very nice letter that says being placed on the waitlist should be considered a compliment and "we remain positive about your application materials and hope that we will be able to admit you to study here for Fall 2013."  So that's something at least.

Congrats to the recent admits!

On the current conversation, (I'm a n00b, feel free to correct me), can the feeling of bitterness not stem from a disgust with Fate--manifested in the form of the accepted applicant--for resulting in your rejection?

So much of this process seems to hang on a thin thread of subjectivity that is absolutely out of the applicant's control. For whatever reason, your POI could have simply enjoyed the accepted applicant's writing style or thought processes more. Is there anything wrong with feeling bitter towards the person that was predisposed (through whatever academic makeup) for getting into the program as opposed to you? I don't think so, but, then again, I'm a cynic.

For anyone applying to the Texas Tech Ph.D., I emailed the graduate director and he sent me my waitlist letter, which says acceptances and rejections have gone out. Apparently, funding is extremely competitive this year and they have a policy in place about not offering admission to anyone who they cannot promise full funding for five years. It's a very nice letter that says being placed on the waitlist should be considered a compliment and "we remain positive about your application materials and hope that we will be able to admit you to study here for Fall 2013." So that's something at least.

Woot for the waitlist! That's great news! Congrats :)

For anyone applying to the Texas Tech Ph.D., I emailed the graduate director and he sent me my waitlist letter, which says acceptances and rejections have gone out.  Apparently, funding is extremely competitive this year and they have a policy in place about not offering admission to anyone who they cannot promise full funding for five years.  It's a very nice letter that says being placed on the waitlist should be considered a compliment and "we remain positive about your application materials and hope that we will be able to admit you to study here for Fall 2013."  So that's something at least.

So happy you got some good news! It's only gonna get better. 

Congrats to the recent admits!

On the current conversation, (I'm a n00b, feel free to correct me), can the feeling of bitterness not stem from a disgust with Fate--manifested in the form of the accepted applicant--for resulting in your rejection?

So much of this process seems to hang on a thin thread of subjectivity that is absolutely out of the applicant's control. For whatever reason, your POI could have simply enjoyed the accepted applicant's writing style or thought processes more. Is there anything wrong with feeling bitter towards the person that was predisposed (through whatever academic makeup) for getting into the program as opposed to you? I don't think so, but, then again, I'm a cynic.

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with those feelings. I would just try to avoid normalizing them or pretending they are natural and that anybody who doesn't feel that way is somehow lying, though I am sure it is the case with at least some people.

If people want to feel envious or resentful or angry, that's fine, but don't tell me that's how everybody really feels, or should feel.

On 1/30/2013 at 1:48 PM, Datatape said:

Cool! Congrats!

Wow congrats to all the Madison admits! I didn't apply, but a friend did so I'm still holding out hope for her.

Looks like my friend got her acceptance letter! I feel like everyone's heard something now, except me. This radio silence is killing me.

I hope all of the Wisconsin admits die in a hockey fight. Not because I applied to Wisconsin (I didn't), but because we are competing for the same air.

I find these sentiments troubling in their purported foundation. B)

I got into Madison also (about an hour after the first admits were posted)! No info on funding packages yet.

Damn, bluecheese. Save some admissions for the rest of us! So among your three, any hunches on one you're more likely to accept than the others? Also, CONGRATS!

Congrats! A waitlist is good news.

& Congrats bluecheese as well!

(I applied to Madison but have heard nothing.  I'm assuming that's a rejection... ouch.)

I suppose it depends greatly on your proposed research interest(s): "The admissions committees will be convening to determine those prospective students that will be recommended for admission to the Graduate School. The various admissions committees do not make decisions all at the same time. You can plan to receive some word February 28." -> that's still a good ways off!

I suppose it depends greatly on your proposed research interest(s): "The admissions committees will be convening to determine those prospective students that will be recommended for admission to the Graduate School. The various admissions committees do not make decisions all at the same time. You can plan to receive some word February 28." -> that's still a good ways off!

Good eye! Thanks :)

I did see that before actually, but thanks for bringing it to our attention.  Do you think by "admissions committees" they're referring to separate committees for rhet/comp, literary studies, and linguistics, or to sub-committees for literary studies, rhet/comp, and linguistics?  I think the former is more likely, which is why I'm assuming I've been rejected (bluecheese's acceptance was for literary studies, correct?).

Edited by Two Espressos

I did see that before actually, but thanks for bringing it to our attention.  Do you think by "admissions committees" they're referring to separate committees for rhet/comp, literary studies, and linguistics, or to sub-committees for literary studies, rhet/comp, and linguistics?  I think the former is more likely, which is why I'm assuming I've been rejected (bluecheese's acceptance was for literary studies, correct?).

I've been working under the impression of sub-committees, as I believe Madison was one of the programs to indicate that the interests you selected in your application would (help) determine the initial reviewers of your app. Granted, I could be quite wrong, in which case, I'd have to agree with you (but that means we're all doomed, so I'm sticking to my delusion :) )