Acceptance Freakout Thread

I highly doubt that, Whistler. Some of the best departments in the U.S. attract scholars from "troubled" countries routinely, and I'm sure this will not be an issue.

Then again, I believe Yale experienced some drama recently in their Comp Lit program with one graduate student who er, was a bit bonkers. 

Guys, I need someone to tell me I'm overreacting. I'm aware of it, but I need a virtual slap in the face.

I've applied to UPenn. They're currently reading applications. However, my country is kind of being really negatively portrayed in the media everywhere, because a large heap of misinformed people is bashing the Children's Hospital in PHILADELPHIA over a medical bill for a five year old leukemia patient from my country.

Let's just assume for one second the incredible and impossible fact that someone in the UPenn admissions committee thinks my application is acceptable (even though the chances are slim). They wouldn't say "considering where she's from, she's probably a maniac, and we won't accept her," rigt? Right?

Just reading this makes me realize how crazy this sounds, but I'm so nervous I can't help it. :(

Please, please, please don't worry about that.

Oh god, thanks, people.

The thing is that UPenn is, besides Northwestern (which has dumped me already), the awesomest fit for me in the universe of awesome graduate school fits. My POI is super nice, and if it wasn't for his work, which I've read years ago, I don't know what my MA thesis would have looked like.

Granted, if they reject me, it will be because my WS is crap, but I just keep worrying about these stupid and unrelated things.

EDIT: What happened at Yale? Do tell. :D

Edited by The Whistler

all I do it lurk here but I just got accepted to Stoney Brook PhD with a fellowship nomination and funding information to come via snail mail

just thought yall wanted to know. tho the fellowship has an application deadline of next week so that may be why I was notified this early

all I do it lurk here but I just got accepted to Stoney Brook PhD with a fellowship nomination and funding information to come via snail mail

just thought yall wanted to know. tho the fellowship has an application deadline of next week so that may be why I was notified this early

Congratulations! With a fellowship nomination to boot, that's awesome!

That was me - I got an email a couple of days ago saying that they were meeting soon to make final decisions, and last night, I got a call from Laura Tanner with the official acceptance. I know that the cohort is really small (4?), but I have no idea where they are in terms of notifying everyone. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you too!! And I see that you're waiting on BU as well... the end of February seems like a really really long time from now...

Congratulations!!! I'm not really confident right now that I'll get in anywhere...

Congratulations!

I was assuming I was rejected from NYU as well, but I just got accepted, so don't give up on anywhere yet!!!

Just now, as in today? :o Congrats! Even though I'm insanely jealous. :D

Sorry, should have clarified. It was two days ago. But you just can never be sure of what admissions is up to. When I got into my MA program, I was accepted unfunded and totally resigned myself to not getting any support, but then more than a month later they called to tell me that I would have funding. You just never know! 

Congratulations!

Just now, as in today? :o Congrats! Even though I'm insanely jealous. :D

Sorry, should have clarified. It was two days ago. But you just can never be sure of what admissions is up to. When I got into my MA program, I was accepted unfunded and totally resigned myself to not getting any support, but then more than a month later they called to tell me that I would have funding. You just never know! 

Well, I guess you're right. I just tend to be more of a "glass is half empty" kind of person. I'll just apply everywhere until I'm forty, maybe they'll finally accept me.

That, or I'll get a restraining order. ;)

I was assuming I was rejected from NYU as well, but I just got accepted, so don't give up on anywhere yet!!!

Thank you! And ditto on Gdom87 - don't give up! I don't pretend to have ANY idea how this stuff all works... 

Thanks for that... :) It's just that another MA is not an option for me so I have to get in or get some job which I don't want to do.

Edited by cbttcher

just got the good word from UCLA. Now I have some serious decisions to make :/ Good luck and congrats to everyone who's posted news today/yesterday. 

Just got the acceptance from UCLA, too. Life just got a bit more complicated for me. I was born and raised in Los Angeles.

Just got the acceptance from UCLA, too. 

yes!! that actually makes me feel better about my rejection. choosing which program to attend will be rough, i'm sure, but those are problems you want to have. high five!

Did you get to know whether English and English+Film Studies are notified separately? Or, really, anything like that?

They were not specific.  But I applied to English only, and not to the Film subdivision.  However, the letter was from the director of graduate studies for English, and I know from having emailed with the department that they have a separate directory for film.

At any rate, based on the survey, it looks like they're notifying the wait listers before the acceptees and the rejectees, so I wouldn't assume you're not still in the game.