Acceptance Freakout Thread

Just got into Brown!!!!

I can't believe this. After assumed rejections at NYU, Chicago, and Berkeley I really thought I would have to do this all over again and despair for another year. But the day is good! I feel like a bag of bricks was just lifted from my weak and anxious shoulders.

Yay!

And congrats to all the recent admits! I am so happy to finally share in the excitement rather than lurking in total despair! 

Congrats, pim!!!!! That's wonderful!!!!! Porridge, I'm by and away no expert on acceptances, but if you're already accepted and in another country I doubt not being able to attend an open house would reflect poorly on you in any way.

Congrats, pim!!!!! That's wonderful!!!!! Porridge, I'm by and away no expert on acceptances, but if you're already accepted and in another country I doubt not being able to attend an open house would reflect poorly on you in any way.

Thank you! I hope you get good news as well soon! Is the Florida school UF or FSU? 

congrats, pim!  was the email sent today?  

The email was sent last night, around 8pm, but (for the first time in weeks) I wasn't checking my email every five minutes when I went out and woke up to it this morning. 

Wow, pim, congrats! Does it feel like riding a unicorn sliding down a rainbow from a pink, fluffy cloud? :D

Thanks! Yes, it certainly does. I feel like I'm going to wake up at any minute and realize this was all the work of wish-fulfillment.

I am also now just waiting on Columbia and Penn (I think I read a post from you that mentioned the same). Hopefully we will both hear good news very soon. Penn is my dream program so, while I'm totally ecstatic, I still feel quite a bit of nervous anticipation in waiting to hear back from them...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you The Whistler  :lol:

Haha, sorry! It's UF. Did you apply there? I hope not because with a Brown acceptance under your belt I doubt I'd be able to compete with you anywhere! ;)

UF is awesome! No I didn't apply there, but I'm originally from Florida and I have a lot of friends at FSU and UF grad programs now, so I was just curious. I'm not a big fan of FL in general (growing up there might have something to do with it...) but I've always had a soft spot for Gainesville. There's a lot to do there and a surprisingly thriving music scene and art culture. I hope you get in! Let me know if you do and if you need advice, I can always ask my friends living there now about where to go out/live/etc  :)

Thanks! Yes, it certainly does. I feel like I'm going to wake up at any minute and realize this was all the work of wish-fulfillment.

I am also now just waiting on Columbia and Penn (I think I read a post from you that mentioned the same). Hopefully we will both hear good news very soon. Penn is my dream program so, while I'm totally ecstatic, I still feel quite a bit of nervous anticipation in waiting to hear back from them...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you The Whistler  :lol:

Thanks, I'll need it. :D

I hope we all get in everywhere, that would be the best solution ever.  ;)

Thanks, pim! My parents actually moved to Tampa when I was in my MA program, so I am not the hugest fan of the state either, lol (and it's toward the bottom of my bf's lists of places to move). However, their program is phenomenal, and there is a professor there who is basically one of my professional idols. I haven't been to Gainesville in ages, but from what I've seen on HGTV it look like a very cool little college town, lol (and a much better cost of living than Boston). Honestly, it would be at the top of my list if they guaranteed funding. If a miracle happens and I get in, I'll definitely ask for some recommendations. :) I'm actually completely enamored by Providence and spend a lot of weekends in RI during the summer, so if you end up at Brown I can refer you to some great places!

Oh, Gainesville is a wonderful city.  It's very pleasant, a total college town, with extremely accepting and laid-back people.  Pretty much the only sliver of pleasantness in this godforsaken state.

Congrats, Pim! Brown is freaking amazing.

Exactly 3 years ago today I received my first MFA/MA rejection from the University of Wyoming. I remember this because it is my birthday (one more small hint of exactly who I am forever cemented on the internet). That was pretty crappy. But today I got notification that I've been awarded a fellowship at Buffalo, so... best present possible. 

Edited by asleepawake

But today I got notification that I've been awarded a fellowship at Buffalo, so... best present possible. 

Congrats, asleepawake, and happy birthday!! I'm jealous, but also happy for you! :) Are you leaning toward Buffalo?

Congrats, asleepawake, and happy birthday!! I'm jealous, but also happy for you! :) Are you leaning toward Buffalo?

Thanks you! At this time, yes, I'm definitely leaning toward Buffalo, but I'm trying not to put myself in decision-making-mode just yet. I still have a lot of unknowns, but Buffalo has been one of my top choices since I applied. There is a visit next month so if I can manage it around the time that I just happen to also be both moving and submitting my master's thesis, I will go and check out the program. I'm excited! 

Edited by asleepawake

Can anyone tell me how critical it is to visit the open day...I'm stuck in another country and it's not feasible, although I want to make a good impression (I've already been accepted).

I wouldn't worry about making a good impressions since you are accepted; you've already done that! 

If you are trying to decide between programs though, a visit might help. If you've already made your decision than a trip might not be worth the money.

You don't say why a trip isn't feasible, but if it's because of money maybe the department could fund your trip? Have you asked if they are willing to do this?

You guys!!  I just got in to Penn State!!! 6 years of full funding!!

AAAAAHHHHH!!!

You've just made my afternoon.  Congrats, bfat!   Now rems and girl who wears glasses need to receive an acceptance or two! (I'm not holding out for my chances, but oh well!)