MFA Photography - post your results

glittergrill

by regular - do you mean like 4 years??

I got a BFA at SAIC after getting a BA in another field years ago. It took me two years. They automatically waive all the gen. ed./liberal arts requirements, then they do a case-by-case assessment of how many art history and studio art credits you have to determine how many more you need. Some people just stay for a semester or two to work on their portfolios. Personally I felt two years was just the right amount of time. I made a TON of progress. But if you're in more of a hurry or they don't kick much $$ your way it may not be a good plan.

I got a BFA at SAIC after getting a BA in another field years ago. It took me two years. They automatically waive all the gen. ed./liberal arts requirements, then they do a case-by-case assessment of how many art history and studio art credits you have to determine how many more you need. Some people just stay for a semester or two to work on their portfolios. Personally I felt two years was just the right amount of time. I made a TON of progress. But if you're in more of a hurry or they don't kick much $$ your way it may not be a good plan.

May I ask how much funding did they give you?

Totally with you on the poker faces haha. Status now changed to "decision letter sent"... Not so patiently waiting.

@ArsenicYellow Congrats on the MassArt acceptance and dean's scholarship! Fabulous. 

My status is also "decision letter sent." But they haven't notified me, either way.

Man seems like massArt is all about the super mean/weird/seemingly disinterested interview huh? I wonder what's up with that - i havent heard of anyone having a 'nice' interview there.

When I interviewed at Mass Art there were two different rooms of interviewers. I had the room with Morrell and Bosworth, I was a little suprised to see him there I thought he retired or something, apparently I was wrong. The other room had Mcphee and I'm guessing Connors also, but I didn't see him. Yeah, I'm not entirely sure what to think, the email I got before the interview, which everybody go said a large part of their decisions would be made based on the work. So, hopefully thats good news... Maybe i'm just not used to the interview for art school because this is my first time applying for grad. But, I was pretty stunned by how fast they had to look at my work it was like woah, I don't have enough time to tell you about it at this pace haha. Good luck folks, won't be long now...

As I received no email, I will take that as a rejection from them for me. Another thing to not worry 'bout at least! Thank you for sharing!

You might be jumping the gun on this one. She said that letters had been mailed, but I haven't even received that yet. I doubt that they email everyone at the same moment, so you never know. Could be that some people received their letters last week and some will receive them this or next week....

You might be jumping the gun on this one. She said that letters had been mailed, but I haven't even received that yet. I doubt that they email everyone at the same moment, so you never know. Could be that some people received their letters last week and some will receive them this or next week....

Congrats, buddyholly!!

Kelly, definitely agree that it might be too soon to assume rejection...though of course that's what immediately popped into my head. I wasn't even expecting an email from them because I was told they notified via snail mail...so now I'm a little nervous to not have received an email. Regardless, I've been anxiously awaiting word from Columbia College...so it's good to at least know that news is coming soon...whether good or bad. This is my first time applying to schools and I had no idea how much stress I'd feel from waiting, especially when so many people had been receiving news and I hadn't heard anything. It was a relief to finally receive something from SAIC this week...even though it was mostly bad, but good too, as mentioned earlier.

Congrats, buddyholly!!

Kelly, definitely agree that it might be too soon to assume rejection...though of course that's what immediately popped into my head. I wasn't even expecting an email from them because I was told they notified via snail mail...so now I'm a little nervous to not have received an email. Regardless, I've been anxiously awaiting word from Columbia College...so it's good to at least know that news is coming soon...whether good or bad. This is my first time applying to schools and I had no idea how much stress I'd feel from waiting, especially when so many people had been receiving news and I hadn't heard anything. It was a relief to finally receive something from SAIC this week...even though it was mostly bad, but good too, as mentioned earlier.

Yeah, I am just a huge pessimist and would rather be happily surprised if it's not a rejection than get my hopes up for it. I've had tons of good non-school news lately and just meh to bad school news. Waiting is the worst part of the application process.  :unsure:

I applied to UNLV and Arizona. UNLV called me a couple weeks ago to ask about my portfolio, but I haven't heard anything since. I haven't heard anything at all from Arizona. I still have my fingers crossed and really want to go to UNLV. I'm in Reno, now, and love Nevada, especially at night. 

Good luck everyone! 

I emailed SAIC about their prior degree program, asked them about the scholarship since I'm pretty desperate right now :( They replied

"...To begin with, the process itself amounts to you technically transferring into the School for advanced undergraduate studies. Just notify me directly by email of your intent to be in this program before March 15th. Of course, it is always your prerogative after receiving financial aid and scholarship results to decide if you wish to attend. Nothing more is required until I contact you afterwards to schedule registration appointments...."

Does that mean I can tell them that I want to be in their program and wait for them to decide how much does they want to give me, and if the amount is not enough then I still can decide not to enroll?

It seems that someone got interview notification from risd?

cause I search the result of 'risd photography' and there are an interview notification posted by someone....

anyone here got that from risd?

It seems that someone got interview notification from risd?

cause I search the result of 'risd photography' and there are an interview notification posted by someone....

anyone here got that from risd?

Hey, I got interview request from RISD yesterday via email.

I also got rejected from Columbia University in NYC, via email as well.

I emailed SAIC about their prior degree program, asked them about the scholarship since I'm pretty desperate right now :( They replied

"...To begin with, the process itself amounts to you technically transferring into the School for advanced undergraduate studies. Just notify me directly by email of your intent to be in this program before March 15th. Of course, it is always your prerogative after receiving financial aid and scholarship results to decide if you wish to attend. Nothing more is required until I contact you afterwards to schedule registration appointments...."

Does that mean I can tell them that I want to be in their program and wait for them to decide how much does they want to give me, and if the amount is not enough then I still can decide not to enroll?

Yes.

Did anyone here apply to UConn? I haven't heard back from them :(

Uconn only accepts 5 grad students across the board, they don't separate departments. They've already contacted the 10 students they wanted to interview :( one of my friends actually got the interview and I drove him there. Surprisingly, I was not impressed with their program after I heard the pros and cons from one of their grad students. If you want more info, feel free to pm me. I'm actually not upset at all that I was rejected. Edited by ArsenicYellow