MFA Photography - post your results

glittergrill

It seems that someone got interview notification from risd? cause I search the result of 'risd photography' and there are an interview notification posted by someone.... anyone here got that from risd?   Hey, I got interview request from RISD yesterday via email. I also got rejected from Columbia University in NYC, via email as well.
Awww man, I didn't get an email from risd :( I assume rejection :(

I emailed SAIC about their prior degree program, asked them about the scholarship since I'm pretty desperate right now :( They replied

"...To begin with, the process itself amounts to you technically transferring into the School for advanced undergraduate studies. Just notify me directly by email of your intent to be in this program before March 15th. Of course, it is always your prerogative after receiving financial aid and scholarship results to decide if you wish to attend. Nothing more is required until I contact you afterwards to schedule registration appointments...."

Does that mean I can tell them that I want to be in their program and wait for them to decide how much does they want to give me, and if the amount is not enough then I still can decide not to enroll?

That's what I got out of it also. I'm still waiting to hear from my final school, but I'm seriously considering this option, of course depending on funding. If affordable, I definitely see it as a good alternative for me for maybe a about a year because it's an excuse to go to Chicago, which is on my places to live list, it will give me an chance to work on my portfolio, and the opportunity to take classes at SAIC...I believe it's beneficial to experience as many teaching styles as possible and this is another chance to do that.

so fo the RISD in photo i called admission office and they said that they do not have final list yet BUT that department sometimes reach out for admited ones already before letting them know (admission office) so most likely rejection:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

It seems that someone got interview notification from risd? cause I search the result of 'risd photography' and there are an interview notification posted by someone.... anyone here got that from risd?   Hey, I got interview request from RISD yesterday via email. I also got rejected from Columbia University in NYC, via email as well.
hey joker do you mind pm your website work or what have you submitted i would like to see what they were looking for. please

hey joker do you mind pm your website work or what have you submitted i would like to see what they were looking for. please

Hey, I don't have a website. But, my portfolio was portraits and landscapes. It was all straight silver gelatin stuff. I do not, however, consider myself to be a straight photographer though ironically. I submitted straight silver gelatin images because I have always felt technically and conceptually this is the best starting point for my work. Now, my focus is changing. I'm more interested in making the traditional process new, so I'm more excited about my experimental work. I feel as photographers we are so devoted to perfectly replicating the world as we see it. But, it's not enough for me. I need more creativity. I want to challenge representation and create something different that is unique to me.

So, I had a finalist interview today for the MFA Photography program at the Rhode Island School of Design. 

I couldn't sleep at all last night, and did a great job of memorizing every page of their website only to find out that it didn't matter because they were asking me clarifying and generous questions about my work that may have meant that they were truly interested in the work. 

I was about 20 minutes, seemed like 10.  Was with the photography committee, just three people. 

Good luck to everyone who has applied! The universe I trust, will work this out for all of us. 

anyone interested in looking at my work, it can be found here: www.deepriverarchive.com 

BEST ALL 

Alright... rejected from University at Buffalo, Columbia University, and NYU. With that, this year's MFA pursuits have concluded. 

Ugh. So sad. I guess this gives me more time to establish my portfolio and career-outside-academia. Really frustrated though. 

Alright... rejected from University at Buffalo, Columbia University, and NYU. With that, this year's MFA pursuits have concluded. 

Ugh. So sad. I guess this gives me more time to establish my portfolio and career-outside-academia. Really frustrated though. 

You just haven't found a program that fits with your work. I keep making that mistake, this year and last. Try to find schools that have professors with similar styles or genres with you, you'll find something!

waitlisted, MassArt. decision via mail.

Hey there buddy haha no pun intended, I'm also waitlisted at mass art, your not alone.

Meh. I applied to MassArt because there's one photographer there I really, really like (I know him), and because, let's face it, it's one of the less expensive options and it's in Boston, close to friends and family, which is a huge consideration for me. That's about it, though.

I can't speak to the other departments, but I have an insider perspective of the photo program. It's a homogenous community, with absolutely no diversity at all. Most of the first year students are white, middle-class, straight men. Most of the work I've seen from the grad students, with a few notable exceptions, is flat out boring, still lifes or landscapes, technically correct (there's a huge emphasis on "the right way" for photographs to look), but not intellectually strong or emotionally evocative in any way. I've seen a lot of work there, and it's not impressive. I think it's reflective of the general bent of the program, which is very conservative, staid, and stilted. Nick Nixon is there, and a real character, and very talented, but he isn't a part of the admissions process, and works for the most part with undergraduates.

There's very little theory taught there, which isn't everyone's cup of tea, I realize, but for me it's important. I haven't witnessed much exchange of ideas or passion for art, although a lot of people there seem to think they're smarter than they are, and are very vocal about their opinions in class, effectively monopolizing time speaking and drowning out other students' voices; what I mean by this is that I have seen students act as though they were in fact professors, and had one even remark to me during my interview that, as second year students, they would be my "superiors". (As a side note, I asked what the first years liked most about the program, and one responded, as though it were funny, "all the men." I'm a woman, btw.) This might not be surprising, however, since graduate students are allowed to vote on applicants' work. They have a big role in choosing who is interviewed. They see and literally vote on everyone's work. I'm not sure how much input they have in the final admissions decisions, but my guess would be that they do have more say than they rightly should. So whether you are offered a position or not may have a lot to do with whether or not they want to hang out with you, and the kind of feedback they give on your interview. 

The program is directed by Laura McPhee, who has a strong preference for work like her own (and is very clear about what she does not like). She's phlegmatic in general, though, so I don't doubt that people had unpleasant interviews or found her hard to read. Abe Morell, however, is genuinely insightful and seems upbeat and funny. But depending on who is reviewing your work, you might receive input that will help you grow, or you might merely receive someone's personal opinion. I think personal opinions are important, and of course feedback is personal, but I need more justification than that, whether someone likes or does not like my work.

I've met few successful graduates from the program, but, then, everyone's definition of success is different. However, I cannot name one (MFA) graduate who had a unique and interesting enough style to go on to do "big things." I don't doubt that that's because individuality is frowned upon in favor of toeing the line and technical accuracy. And that won't get you very far. The other aspect I have experienced, which seems jarring, is a total and utter lack of organization. Professors literally forget what they have planned in the syllabi. I will say that my letter is dated March 6, and I assume a decision was made well before that. I'm not sure if they simply did not get around to sending it, or if they thought it would be better to make me wait. They are both too disorganized and too formal for me to know what the case may be. But there is something to be said for treating people well, even applicants to your program! (You'll find that there are many administrators there who either give wildly inaccurate information in response to a question or simply do not respond at all.)

The level of discourse in classes I've attended has been....OK. That's about as much as I can say. Not outstanding. Certainly not horrible. But just average. The breadth and depth of classes on offer is also....OK. If you know exactly what you want to do, and you only want to do that one thing (say, 4 x 5 landscapes, for example, indefinitely), then you'd be happy with the program. If you're looking to experiment or want to take a lot of theory or art history classes in addition to your studio work, then you'll find their offerings to be....OK.

I realize it's not a glowing review. Unfortunately, for me, money is a big issue, and the priority I place on being near friends and family is perhaps too high. But I don't love MassArt, and they don't love me. It's all right, though, because I've been accepted to much better programs (both better-suited and better ranked, make of that what you will). So I would say that you should take this MassArt estimation of your work much the way I do: with a big grain of salt. 

Meh. I applied to MassArt because there's one photographer there I really, really like (I know him), and because, let's face it, it's one of the less expensive options and it's in Boston, close to friends and family, which is a huge consideration for me. That's about it, though.

I can't speak to the other departments, but I have an insider perspective of the photo program. It's a homogenous community, with absolutely no diversity at all. Most of the first year students are white, middle-class, straight men. Most of the work I've seen from the grad students, with a few notable exceptions, is flat out boring, still lifes or landscapes, technically correct (there's a huge emphasis on "the right way" for photographs to look), but not intellectually strong or emotionally evocative in any way. I've seen a lot of work there, and it's not impressive. I think it's reflective of the general bent of the program, which is very conservative, staid, and stilted. Nick Nixon is there, and a real character, and very talented, but he isn't a part of the admissions process, and works for the most part with undergraduates.

There's very little theory taught there, which isn't everyone's cup of tea, I realize, but for me it's important. I haven't witnessed much exchange of ideas or passion for art, although a lot of people there seem to think they're smarter than they are, and are very vocal about their opinions in class, effectively monopolizing time speaking and drowning out other students' voices; what I mean by this is that I have seen students act as though they were in fact professors, and had one even remark to me during my interview that, as second year students, they would be my "superiors". (As a side note, I asked what the first years liked most about the program, and one responded, as though it were funny, "all the men." I'm a woman, btw.) This might not be surprising, however, since graduate students are allowed to vote on applicants' work. They have a big role in choosing who is interviewed. They see and literally vote on everyone's work. I'm not sure how much input they have in the final admissions decisions, but my guess would be that they do have more say than they rightly should. So whether you are offered a position or not may have a lot to do with whether or not they want to hang out with you, and the kind of feedback they give on your interview. 

The program is directed by Laura McPhee, who has a strong preference for work like her own (and is very clear about what she does not like). She's phlegmatic in general, though, so I don't doubt that people had unpleasant interviews or found her hard to read. Abe Morell, however, is genuinely insightful and seems upbeat and funny. But depending on who is reviewing your work, you might receive input that will help you grow, or you might merely receive someone's personal opinion. I think personal opinions are important, and of course feedback is personal, but I need more justification than that, whether someone likes or does not like my work.

I've met few successful graduates from the program, but, then, everyone's definition of success is different. However, I cannot name one (MFA) graduate who had a unique and interesting enough style to go on to do "big things." I don't doubt that that's because individuality is frowned upon in favor of toeing the line and technical accuracy. And that won't get you very far. The other aspect I have experienced, which seems jarring, is a total and utter lack of organization. Professors literally forget what they have planned in the syllabi. I will say that my letter is dated March 6, and I assume a decision was made well before that. I'm not sure if they simply did not get around to sending it, or if they thought it would be better to make me wait. They are both too disorganized and too formal for me to know what the case may be. But there is something to be said for treating people well, even applicants to your program! (You'll find that there are many administrators there who either give wildly inaccurate information in response to a question or simply do not respond at all.)

The level of discourse in classes I've attended has been....OK. That's about as much as I can say. Not outstanding. Certainly not horrible. But just average. The breadth and depth of classes on offer is also....OK. If you know exactly what you want to do, and you only want to do that one thing (say, 4 x 5 landscapes, for example, indefinitely), then you'd be happy with the program. If you're looking to experiment or want to take a lot of theory or art history classes in addition to your studio work, then you'll find their offerings to be....OK.

I realize it's not a glowing review. Unfortunately, for me, money is a big issue, and the priority I place on being near friends and family is perhaps too high. But I don't love MassArt, and they don't love me. It's all right, though, because I've been accepted to much better programs (both better-suited and better ranked, make of that what you will). So I would say that you should take this MassArt estimation of your work much the way I do: with a big grain of salt.

Yah, I don't have any insider information except what I able to gather during their open house and at this interview. But, for the most part I think your review was pretty much spot on. Their program is pretty straight forward, again no pun intended. Ive noticed the students this programs tends to produce work that clearly emulates the professors' work, which I think is how we all learn in the beginnning, but eventually we need to find our own voice. I mean this is grad level and I didn't go to an art school, so I guess there is a lot I don't know. But I think it is important to find a program that will help people become themselves not make copies of the professors. I'm not intending this to be insulting at all, but I think part of the reason I'm on the wait list is because I expressed clear desire to become my own person, which may have not been in my best interests. Or maybe I'm glad because maybe Mass art isn't the best fit for me. That's interesting that you noticed the program is dominated by white men, I noticed this too.

Ya, I think money is a big concern for most of us, I'm not excited about going into a ton of debt. I guess if I have to incur the expese it could be worth it if I find a good place to go. or if a good place accepts me haha is more like it. But, i will have to wait another week to get my last two letters. Just gotta keep my chin up and soldier on.

Is your insight only for the photography department? I ask because at the moment it's probaby my number one choice at the moment but have been getting very little input in regards to their sculpture program.

Is your insight only for the photography department? I ask because at the moment it's probaby my number one choice at the moment but have been getting very little input in regards to their sculpture program.

yes, only the photo department. i don't know much about sculpture; i assume it's better, but can't say either way. have you asked to be put in touch with current sculpture grad students who can share their experiences with you? maybe that would help?

Hello everybody,

Im bored at work and wondering who's art you people are getting excited about I'll start, I discovered this guy a few months ago I was down in Boston and his stuff was in gallery.

Check it out,

http://michaelmassaia.com/Artist.asp?ArtistID=38283&Akey=AP79CKQ9

Anybody else have anybody they are stoked about?

does anyone have any info about funding (or lack thereof) at Columbia College Chicago? what sort of opportunities are available to TA or work on campus? the last thing i want to do is live off of loans.

i thought i saw that some writing MFAs receive good financial aid packages there, but for whatever reason it doesn't seem to be that way for the fine arts......

Hey thanks buddyholly for the congrats, 

Atlas, congrats! your the only other person I know that has been accepted to risd, think you will go? I still don't know yet depends on the financial info and stuff they send, but hopefully i can make it happen.

Good luck everybody

Hey thanks buddyholly for the congrats, 

Atlas, congrats! your the only other person I know that has been accepted to risd, think you will go? I still don't know yet depends on the financial info and stuff they send, but hopefully i can make it happen.

Good luck everybody

Yeah of course I'm still waiting on Financial stuff to consider, but generally I think i'll be there! Beyond finances are you pretty much going? 

Hello everybody,

Im bored at work and wondering who's art you people are getting excited about I'll start, I discovered this guy a few months ago I was down in Boston and his stuff was in gallery.

Check it out,

http://michaelmassaia.com/Artist.asp?ArtistID=38283&Akey=AP79CKQ9

Anybody else have anybody they are stoked about?

This show of Luigi Ghirri's vintage prints is up now at Matthew Marks in Chelsea. I highly recommend going to see it if you're in the NY area. 

http://www.matthewmarks.com/new-york/exhibitions/2013-03-06_luigi-ghirri/works-in-exhibition/

His work was also part of the Thomas Demand curated show La Carte D'Apres Nature at Matthew Marks last year.

http://www.matthewmarks.com/new-york/exhibitions/2011-07-19_la-carte-daprs-nature/works-in-exhibition/